100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Become a Republican

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ironman » Thu May 24, 2007 12:24 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Over the past several years, the Republican Party has become something I'm not particularly proud of and, frankly, don't much care for any more. That being said, I didn't find this humorous at all. Maybe it's just me.

Become Libertarian!

Done and done. B-)

Small government, personal freedom... how can you go wrong? ;-D

By throwing your vote away to a third party.

I keeed, I keeed. ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu May 24, 2007 12:59 pm

ironman wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Over the past several years, the Republican Party has become something I'm not particularly proud of and, frankly, don't much care for any more. That being said, I didn't find this humorous at all. Maybe it's just me.

Become Libertarian!

Done and done. B-)

Small government, personal freedom... how can you go wrong? ;-D

By throwing your vote away to a third party.

I keeed, I keeed. ;-)

No you don't, that couldn't be more true... the only thing less effective than voting for Ralph Nader would be voting for Michael Badnarik.

Of course, voting for Nader is effective because traditionally it takes a vote away from the democratic candidate... but I'm all for people voting for who they want, rather than choosing between a lesser of two evils.

It's still a two-party country and sometimes you have to vote and hope for the best. I'm not registered libertarian either since PA doesn't have open primaries.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Coppermine wrote:... the only thing less effective than voting for Ralph Nader would be voting for Michael Badnarik.

i did O:-) , but only because nobody else was qualified, but then again neither was Badnarik.

This season, I do enjoy seeing Ron Paul pissing people off by being right, even though I'm highly skeptical of his presidential chops. He made a great speech on the House floor yesterday about patriotism.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby suppasonic » Thu May 24, 2007 4:17 pm

"Would you rather have a million freakin' mammograms or one badass Tomahawk missle?"

One badass Tomahawk Missle!!!!

I love being a Moderate.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 24, 2007 4:22 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:... the only thing less effective than voting for Ralph Nader would be voting for Michael Badnarik.

i did O:-) , but only because nobody else was qualified, but then again neither was Badnarik.

This season, I do enjoy seeing Ron Paul pissing people off by being right, even though I'm highly skeptical of his presidential chops. He made a great speech on the House floor yesterday about patriotism.

Ron Paul is the only Republican in the race I would consider voting for. He is right and it's both sad and telling to watch the far-right smear him.

A friend of mine in Texas said that when Paul was elected he was the most right-wing pol in power there. Now, he's one of the most left - and he hasn't changed his stance one iota.

I don't agree with him on a lot of topics, obviously, but he seems to be an honest man. If it were a Hillary v. Ron Paul election, I'd take him in a second.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:If it were a Hillary v. Ron Paul election, I'd take him in a second.

i'm not sure favoring kittens over cancer is a ringing endorsement. ;-7
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu May 24, 2007 7:27 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

Ron Paul is the only Republican in the race I would consider voting for. He is right and it's both sad and telling to watch the far-right smear him.

A friend of mine in Texas said that when Paul was elected he was the most right-wing pol in power there. Now, he's one of the most left - and he hasn't changed his stance one iota.

I don't agree with him on a lot of topics, obviously, but he seems to be an honest man. If it were a Hillary v. Ron Paul election, I'd take him in a second.

Very sad and interesting, and sad & angering. Have you read The K Street Gang?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:A friend of mine in Texas said that when Paul was elected he was the most right-wing pol in power there. Now, he's one of the most left - and he hasn't changed his stance one iota.

Who considers Paul anywhere near the left? People often mistake Libertarians for having left leaning social views, but despite their "anything goes" mentality on some issues, that's not left at all. Also, I am not up to date with all of the elected officials in Texas, but Paul is the farthest-right presidential candidate, somehow I doubt he is farther to the left than most of Texas.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:A friend of mine in Texas said that when Paul was elected he was the most right-wing pol in power there. Now, he's one of the most left - and he hasn't changed his stance one iota.

Who considers Paul anywhere near the left? People often mistake Libertarians for having left leaning social views, but despite their "anything goes" mentality on some issues, that's not left at all. Also, I am not up to date with all of the elected officials in Texas, but Paul is the farthest-right presidential candidate, somehow I doubt he is farther to the left than most of Texas.

The problem is that the republican party's marriage in the late 70's, early 80's completely changed what we think of as "conservative" in America. Once they began that merger, we saw the beginnings of big-government Conservatives, neo-cons, etc. They became more concerned about gay marriage and the brain-dead than they did about traditionally conservative positions. And now the right's lunatic fringe (Rush, Malkin, Hannity, etc) have turned on Paul because he doesn't represent modern day republicanism.

I guess the problem is that "conservative" and "republican" have become synonymous in the minds of most Americans even though they are almost polar opposites.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

The problem is that the republican party's marriage in the late 70's, early 80's completely changed what we think of as "conservative" in America. Once they began that merger, we saw the beginnings of big-government Conservatives, neo-cons, etc. They became more concerned about gay marriage and the brain-dead than they did about traditionally conservative positions. And now the right's lunatic fringe (Rush, Malkin, Hannity, etc) have turned on Paul because he doesn't represent modern day republicanism.

I guess the problem is that "conservative" and "republican" have become synonymous in the minds of most Americans even though they are almost polar opposites.

aye. With the exceptions of Ron Paul, Jeff Flake, Ronny Reagan, and few others all to varying degrees, the apples have fallen very far from the Barry Goldwater tree. 'right' and 'left' are very mishmashy descriptors, for lack of a less scientific term.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk