Yovanni Gallardo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Yovanni Gallardo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yovanni Gallardo?

Postby sandman042 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Yovani Gallardo allowed one run in six innings and struck out 10 batters Tuesday for Triple-A Nashville.

Gallardo is ready to step in if Ben Sheets' blister problem puts him on the DL. The 21-year-old is 6-1 with a 2.14 ERA, 34 H, 76/18 K/BB in 54 2/3 IP.

from [url]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

should we start pickin him up now and if we do is he gonna stay in the rotation in ur opinions..

[/url]
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 23, 2007 4:26 pm

hes "ready" but the brewers arent. there currently isnt a spot in rotation right now. its not worth calling him up for 1 or 2 starts and having to send him back down. the guy you should be keeping an eye on is claudio vargas. if he struggles or gets injured, gallardo would take his spot in the rotation.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PBRmeASAP » Wed May 23, 2007 4:32 pm

Gallardo might get a spot start, but he won't stay in the rotation if all the Brewers starters are healthy. I also think Villeneuva stands a better chance of being the injury fill in starter in a longer term injury situation with Gallardo getting the long relief role in the pen.

The Brewers do not rush guys and I think they are taking it very easy with Gallardo right now since they are so deep with starters.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 23, 2007 4:46 pm

i really dont foresee the brewers calling up gallardo for long relief. hes probably the best pitching prospect in the game.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PBRmeASAP » Wed May 23, 2007 4:51 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see them pushing him over 180 innings this season. He pitched about 150 last season. If they install him as a starter he'll go well over 180 by season's end. I think and I'd be willing to wager the Brewers think Villenueva has earned a starting spot if one opens up. That means Gallardo will either play out the string in AAA or get moved to the bullpen. I seem to remember Yohan Santana breaking into the bullpen with the Twins. It certainly isn't unheard of.
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Surprisingly, Johan Santana wasnt as highly regarded as Gallardo. its not unheard of but i dont think thats the route the brewers would go. vargas is the man out as soon as he struggles.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BrewerJer » Wed May 23, 2007 5:02 pm

Would the same rules apply to him as they do to Braun regarding arbitration? If so, it would be in the Brewers best interest not to call him up prior to June 9th. By then Benny should be back, (though with him, you never know).
BrewerJer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PBRmeASAP » Wed May 23, 2007 5:10 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:Surprisingly, Johan Santana wasnt as highly regarded as Gallardo. its not unheard of but i dont think thats the route the brewers would go. vargas is the man out as soon as he struggles.

I don't see the Brewers demoting Vargas from the rotation unless he really blows up. I would imagine they'll try to trade him and his value is shot if they stick him in the bullpen. Do you really think the Brewers will throw Gallardo out there to pitch 200+ innings this year? That sounds like something the Cubs would do. The Brewers are smarter than that...
PBRmeASAP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 23, 2007 5:13 pm

no of course not, but i dont think it would be in their greatest interest to callup their best prospect and put him in a role that he wont be pitching in.

i guess we can agree to disagree.

either way i dont see them calling him up if sheets misses a start.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadMobius » Wed May 23, 2007 11:35 pm

Santana was NOT a very good minor league pitcher (at least numbers wise, he still had the raw freakin talent). He certainly didn't own guys in AA and AAA like Hamels, Lincecum or even Gallardo. He finally put everything together at the big league level. He could strike fools out and that's probably why he started in the pen with Minn. Wasn't it like the 2nd half of 2002 when he stepped and pitched real well. Then in 2003 it took them forever to finally bring him out of the pen for good... since then he has never looked back....

Big diff here is that Gallardo is dominating as a starter in the minors. Kids that are dominating like that and that have a pretty good arsenal of pitches (ie. not just a great fastball) will probably get a crack at the rotation first...

I liked Villanueva as a sleeper pitcher for this season and will pick him up IF he is the one put into the rotation at any point but I think Mil would be better served to keep Carlos in that long relief role and at least try out Gallardo first....... if it comes to that.
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates