Is Mike Mussina done? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Mike Mussina done? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed May 23, 2007 2:05 pm

Didn't he settle down a bit after the first inning? From the 2nd till he got into trouble in the 6th he kept his team in the ballgame. Plus, it was against the best offense in the league!

He's no stud but I'd still keep a guy who should get ample run support & has one of the all-time best closers finishing things up.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 23, 2007 4:37 pm

samjerky wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I don't think he's "done"

Agree. He's probably got the most job security in the MLB. If his legs fell off, they'd still ask him to pitch. Who else will do it? I'll do it. I'll even do it for - let's say, 4 million. Somebody teach me what a baseball looks like. And I've got a nasty crack habit, so I want a 'drug binge' clause in my contract for days off. Call me every fifth day. I'll be in a little shack in Baltimore.

hot4tx wrote: That's Kris Benson territory there.
Yes, BUT his name is Mike. Mike Mussina. Don't fight it.

:-? :-? :-?

yeah he was just recently dropped in my league and it caught my attention but when i looked at the numbers, he belongs there.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed May 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Ender wrote:I think 2006 was the exception and not the rule at this point. I'd expect numbers like 2004/2005 out of him. 2006 is what you get out of a 100% healthy all year Mussina and he just isn't 100% healthy all year enough to expect it.

I agree with this.

Philliebuster wrote:I thought he was done pre-2006, but he suprised me. I avoided him this year in the draft.

Same here.

At this point in his career, you can't really count on Moose to give you particularly good numbers. I don't think he's completely done - while it's true that he wasn't getting past the mid-to-high eighties with his fastball last night, that doesn't mean that he won't break into the low nineties the whole year. But on the whole, he's not going to put up great numbers, and I don't think he's really worth very much in terms of fantasy value. I'd expect something like a 1.38 WHIP, 4.60 ERA, and about 6.5 K/9.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Thoughts on Mike Mussina

Postby horatio » Thu May 24, 2007 3:01 pm

The Yankee pitcher is making it hard for me to hold onto him but how can you just drop a guy with that lineup behind him who has been so good in the past?

Any thoughts on him turning it around or is he done?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dracovonborax » Thu May 24, 2007 3:09 pm

he's rotting in fa in my 10 team league. i've been thinking of grabbing him since i only have 3 arms right now(ya, i drafted Harden). do you think he can turn it around?
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jswede » Thu May 24, 2007 3:13 pm

he was a super-duper star last year. he had better turn it around. I'm in second to last and loading up on NYY SPs. Traded for Pettitte, Clemens and Mussina in the last few weeks... these guys know how to win and the offense will come. (right?)
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 pm

i dont think ive ever drafted mussina. hes always been overrated by most people.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 24, 2007 3:37 pm

i had the same question...i cut him loose...you can find that thread below

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290414
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby samjerky » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:04 pm

SO, I watched Mussina pitch this weekend. Two observations.

1. He's having major velocity trouble. So even in the innings when he looked good, he had very low Ks.

2. Because of the above, he gets in trouble fast. Because he can't fool people with speed, he has to do it with location and movement, which means he ends up walking a lot of people since he can't get into the strike zone too much, or he'd get hammered.

This leads me to two conclusions.

First, he's very high risk. He'll get wins, because he's an experienced guy, but even so half the time (or less), it will be a good outing. The other half, he's just going to get the win because of the Yankees offense. You'll get no Ks, usually a high ERA+WHIP, just to get one win.

Second, the Yankees are in trouble. They are relying on some old arms to get them through, and basically it's down to a rookie, Clemens, and Pettite for the playoffs. I don't think that will get them that far. And the way they play defense, like the coaching staff is not preparing them at all, this could be trouble for Torre.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tecmobowl12 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:17 pm

I thought he hit 90mph once early in the game. Atleast that's what FOX's radar said.
tecmobowl12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers