Trade Scenario Tourney: Round 1-deerayfan vs. Lordrevolution - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Scenario Tourney: Round 1-deerayfan vs. Lordrevolution

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who do you think provides the better response?

Poll ended at Sat May 26, 2007 1:21 am

deerayfan072
74%
Lordrevolution
26%

Total votes : 57

Trade Scenario Tourney: Round 1-deerayfan vs. Lordrevolution

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 23, 2007 8:48 am

Please don't respond to this thread until both contestants have done so.

Ok, you are the Kansas City GM Dayton Moore. You have veterans in Reggie Sanders, Odalis Perez, Scott Elarton, Mike Sweeney, Octavio Dotel, David Riske and others that are trading chips. Unfortunately, not all of them are performing well right now and there isn't necessarily decent in house replacement if some of them do get traded.

Make some moves to sort the situation out, decide who to keep for now, who to keep for later trades? But most importantly who to trade right now, to which team, for who? To make it even harder, the ownership has demanded you to remain fairly competitive this year or else you could lose your job soon.

Post the lineup/pitching staff after the trade. And if it's an unbalanced trades, please post who you'd drop from the 25 man and note where everybody you are getting is going if they are to be sent to the minors.
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:02 am

how long do we have? I have a lot of stuff today so i won't be able to respond till tommorow sometime
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 am

2 days

whoever respond first gets the advantage though.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lordrevolution » Wed May 23, 2007 10:34 am

To ownership I say "Competative? My staff ace is %#$^ing Gil Meche!"

The players you meantioned as trade bait aren't going to fetch much. Sanders is injured and nobody bit before trade deadline last year, Perez is terrible and has been for a while, I can't find any reason anyone would want to take a 100 inning a year old worn down kinda bleh to begin with arm in Elarton(who's been in AAA for a part of the year), Sweeney has been a part of KC for so long that if someone wanted him he'd be gone ages ago... basically they have Riske and Dotel as trade bait. They'll be looking for teams with a poor bullpen willing to take a chance that Dotel can bounce back from his injury and be effective, and basically give journeyman Riske another place to pitch a few 7th innings.

Realisitically though, what KC should do is continue to stock up on younger tallent in hopes to be competative down the line. They've built up a nice group of guys in Shealy, Gordon, and Teahen and should continue building on that.

If KC really wants to be agressive, I would try and make a trade with the Cubs, who has a pen that is at best, playing terribly. Also with their idea to move Dempster to the rotation, offering Dotel as insurence to Guzman/whoever is a good idea. Package Dotel, Riske and possibly cash, for Felix Pie. Pie is currently being blocked by Soriano and a host of other vets and doesn't look to be getting any playing time this season, but the hype around him may make the cubs want to hold on. If so KC really should eat the 5mil they're giving to Dotel. I know, fat chance, but it's what they should do.
KC would then call up someone like Standridge or Billy Buckner to fill the pen spot.

The lineup is hard to say, KC will probably want to bat Pie low in the order until they're comfortable with him. They'd move E. Brown to the bench, shift De Jesus to left, and let Pie play center.

Edit:
LF Dejesus
2B German
RF Teahen
DH Sweeney
1B Shealy
3B Gordon
C Buck
CF Pie
SS Pena Jr.

SP Meche
SP Odalis
SP De La Rosa
SP Bannister
SP Elarton

LOOGY Duckworth
Mop up Standridge/Buckner
Middle Greinke
Middle Peralta/Gobble (matchups)
Setup Peralta/Gobble
Closer Soria
Last edited by Lordrevolution on Wed May 23, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lordrevolution » Wed May 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Btw, cause it's bothered my ocd... it's "have" not "has" in the begining. Nice and bold....
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:32 am

While at first this offseason i thought Gil Meche?? Although he is not an Ace, he is getting it done and will be helpful for them. The Royals are not going to be in contention, but they can make some moves to help out in the future and right now.

First, Everyone loves Sweeney in KC, but all he is doing is blocking Butler from coming up and looking nice with that C on his Jersey. The A's are in desperate need of some offense if they are going to compete in the AL West. I would first move Sweeney/Riske/Sanders to the A's for Bard Halsey and Danny Putnam. Halsey is really tired of the A's organization due to how he has been handled and the A's may be ready to let him go so they don't have to deal with him. The A's pen has been decimated just like the rest of there staff and Riske could help with that for now and when more go down after coming off the DL (dusch). Assuming Sanders is healthy and off the DL, he could go and help platoon in the A's outfield and also help some of those younger guys learn. In Halsey the Royals get a guy who could step right into the rotation and help and Putnam would be a nice project for the OF.

Second move would be to trade Dotel and Odalis Perez to the Mets for Anderson Hernandez. The Mets starters are hurting and Vargas is not getting it done and Sosa will implode soon. While not a great pitcher Odalis would be a decent 5 starter with the offensive help he would get from the Mets. Dotel could go back to the set-up role he thrived in and Heilman could be long relief or go into the rotation if need be. Also, Perez has experiance in the pen so the Mets could use him there if there starters come back healthy.

I would then call up Butler to DH and play 1B on the days you have Shealy DH. Butlers bat is ready, but his fielding is not. Butler is not an OF so why not let him DH and rotate at 1B in the bigs. i would move Halsey right into the rotation. I would take Soria and move him to the rotation where he could help and call up Braun to close. Hernandez would go to SS and offer a great defensive player to help out the pitchers and he does have the ability to get on base.

Edit:
CF Dejesus
2B Grudzielanek
RF Teahen
DH Butler
1B Shealy
3B Gordon
C Buck
LF German
SS Hernandez

SP Meche
SP De La Rosa
SP Bannister
SP Halsey
SP Soria

LOOGY Elarton
Mop up Elarton/Duckworth
Middle Greinke
Middle Peralta/Gobble (matchups)
Setup Peralta/Gobble
Closer Braun
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:32 am

Feel free to crucify away ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theclefe » Thu May 24, 2007 12:54 am

Decent opening round. My vote will go to DeeRayFan072.

Moves seem more achievable given the Royal's dire situation, and though I think it would be foolish to trade Sweeney, it would be more foolish to think the Cubs would move Pie for anything KC has.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu May 24, 2007 1:27 am

The Royals board were talking Odalis plus something for Milledge. And under deeray's idea all we get for basically all our trade pieces are Anderson Hernandez, Brad Halsey and Danny Putnam? It may be realistic, but it sure is dissapointing !+)

poll is up for 2 days guys
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 am

I like what deeray fan has done for a couple of reasons. One I think his trades are more realistic. Why would the cubs give up Pie for Dotel/Riske? That would be absurd, they could get way way way more than that, plus just holding on to pie would be more valuable. And two I like that deeray made the team better from within. As much as it would hurt to move a mainstay like sweeney its definately time to get something for him while you still can. Plus the move allows Butler to come up and play the position he's destined to play...DH. Also moving soria to the rotation was a very smart as thats where hes been projected to go for awhile now. After the royals pulled in shealy last year I was like wow the royals have a very strong nucleus building up and i'm glad to see that deerayfan capitalized on that.

LordRev how does your plan NOT include Butler? :-?
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers