Carlos Delgado - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Delgado

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Delgado

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 am

seriously

what is up with this guy? Is he concealing an injury? Was he a juicer?

How do you go from the production he had to what he's done this year?

Is it something that can be fixed, or is this just a lost year for him? Is he done?
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Benholio » Wed May 23, 2007 8:52 am

I'd just say he is old and declining. PECOTA projected a big dropoff for him this year, and he hasn't proven them wrong.
Benholio
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed May 23, 2007 10:05 am

I don't think that they would have projected this sharp of a decline. Don't sluggers last a bit longer?
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 am

He's had a couple years right at .300, but other than that he's hit .260s or .270s most seasons of his career (Career average at .280). Guys that regularly hit .300+ tend to be less streaky than guys like him. So this could be a bad start. He still could end up hitting mid-.260s with 30+ HR this year.

As far as the age goes, typically as guys hit their mid-30s their power will stay a couple years longer after their batting average begins to drop off. However, usually guys with better averages to begin with can take the 30-40 point drop in BA and still be productive hitters, while the Andruw Jones' of the world become very worthless, very fast when age catches up to them. Delgado seemingly played 162 games every year there for 5-6 years, with over 1700 GP so far. Those extra games could wear on him and make him show his age earlier.

So basically it's reasonable for him to come back and this just have been a slump, but it's also reasonable for him to be toast. Right now it's probably more of a gut feeling for you than anything. One thing to think about is the fact that you won't get anything good for him right now, so you probably can't trade him. Special fun for you. Congrats!
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 23, 2007 11:29 am

I don't think this can totally be attributed to decline. His bat speed seems to be there but he is just flailing his body at the plate. The end result is the same though and I'm officially concerned. Luckily I don't have him on a fantasy team. :-o
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MissingOakley » Wed May 23, 2007 11:35 am

The reports are that he's crushing the ball in batting practice, and feels physically fit, but can't get "comfortable" at the plate this year. Maybe that means he's due to turn it around, but who knows. My sense is to expect a HR surge that'll end with him close to 30, but the BA will not get too much above .250.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/23/sport ... ref=slogin
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 23, 2007 11:36 am

Even though he says that he is healthy, I don't buy it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Wed May 23, 2007 11:38 am

Mets fans should organize a mass protest.
Just like he protests the US of A by not standing for the national anthem.

everytime he comes to bat, everybody stand and go take a pee, or buy a hot dog.

It'll be your own little protest about his "Performance"
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 am

They should play the national anthem every time he gets up to bat. That way he HAS to stand for it. ;-D

I'm surprised that none of the sound guys at visiting stadiums has done this yet.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Philliebuster » Wed May 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Rumors in NY are that he can't get around on the inside heaters, one would think there may be an injury somewhere, but he claims he is fully healthy.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers