When Ryan Howard comes back on Friday.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When Ryan Howard comes back on Friday....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When Ryan Howard comes back on Friday....

Postby elltrain22 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:00 am

He will finally start to make all of his owners happy they drafted him. He will hit 3-4 hr's before May is over, and will hit at least 10 hr's & have at least 25-30 rbi's in the month of June. ;-D
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed May 23, 2007 8:19 am

Its pretty much too late for him to make people glad they drafted him. He was drafted earlier than his value in most leagues anyway, add a poor start and an injury to the mix and nobody is going to actually be happy they took him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:45 am

Ender wrote:Its pretty much too late for him to make people glad they drafted him. He was drafted earlier than his value in most leagues anyway, add a poor start and an injury to the mix and nobody is going to actually be happy they took him.

Thats actually not true at all. You are correct that he wont live up to his draft position, but thats what you get for drafting a guy with 1 huge year under his belt in the top 5 picks. Anyways the point is, that as long as you stayed competitive during his absence you should still be completely happy with drafting Howard. Once he comes back i'm sure he will be productive and just be an extra boost to your team. Yes over the year he isn't worth what you paid for him at the draft, but its not like he wont be a beast the rest of the year. Fantasy Baseball is all about playing the ups and downs, so if you were able to successfully keep yourself in the standings you should be very very very happy you drafted ryan howard at this point...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 10:48 am

I have to go with Ender here. If fully healthy, then he should still hit 40 HRs but that's far from what most people expected. Especially his batting average.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 am

Yoda wrote:I have to go with Ender here. If fully healthy, then he should still hit 40 HRs but that's far from what most people expected. Especially his batting average.

That's about what I expected from him. :-) I'm pretty.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:52 am

no you guys are right. I agree you should be a little upset that Howard isn't going to live up to standards this year. But think about it this way: Last year I draft teixeira 4th overall. A mistake? Yes very much so. But through various moves and trades I was still able to keep my team competitive while holding onto the hope that Teix would come back and dominate in the second half. Was I mad that i drafted and held on to him all year? No I was ecstatic because he was able to carry me from the middle of the pack in the first half to the top of the standings in the second half. As long as you are still sporting a competitive team you should be very happy with ryan howard as your first pick at this point...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 am

jake_harv88 wrote:no you guys are right. I agree you should be a little upset that Howard isn't going to live up to standards this year. But think about it this way: Last year I draft teixeira 4th overall. A mistake? Yes very much so. But through various moves and trades I was still able to keep my team competitive while holding onto the hope that Teix would come back and dominate in the second half. Was I mad that i drafted and held on to him all year? No I was ecstatic because he was able to carry me from the middle of the pack in the first half to the top of the standings in the second half. As long as you are still sporting a competitive team you should be very happy with ryan howard as your first pick at this point...

Well Teixeira wasn't worth a 4th overall pick last year and Howard wasn't worth a top 5 overall pick this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 am

I'm glad I drafted Helton and glad I kept Howard
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:09 am

Yoda wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:no you guys are right. I agree you should be a little upset that Howard isn't going to live up to standards this year. But think about it this way: Last year I draft teixeira 4th overall. A mistake? Yes very much so. But through various moves and trades I was still able to keep my team competitive while holding onto the hope that Teix would come back and dominate in the second half. Was I mad that i drafted and held on to him all year? No I was ecstatic because he was able to carry me from the middle of the pack in the first half to the top of the standings in the second half. As long as you are still sporting a competitive team you should be very happy with ryan howard as your first pick at this point...

Well Teixeira wasn't worth a 4th overall pick last year and Howard wasn't worth a top 5 overall pick this year.

I agree. But it was a common mistake made by a lot of people. I know I wasnt the only one who drafted Tex that high and I know that alot of people draft Howard in the top 5. But that doesn't mean each aren't capable of playing like first round talent. All I'm saying is that at this point if your team hasn't absolutely shat the bed (which would be hard to do so early in the season) then you should be very happy you drafted howard because from here on out he should be very productive...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed May 23, 2007 11:52 am

In Roto he's a sure fire bust at this point, in H2H what happens in the second half matters a lot more than the first half (assuming you are good enough to make the top 6) and Howard can still be a huge part of why you win your league.

I'm not a Howard guy though, I think he hits .280 with lots of power but I had him listed as a #13 pick in my league (we use 5 OF so they are at more of a premium).
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers