Question about umpire Laz Diaz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question about umpire Laz Diaz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about umpire Laz Diaz

Postby s221506 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:24 am

Not an expert in this area by any means but I have heard that Diaz can have a really tight strike zone. I heard for Lincecum 1st start and for Peavy last start that his being behind the plate had an impact.

My question(s): Is it worth finding out when he is call the Balls and Strikes and taking that into consideration on borderline starts? Can this be done?

:-?
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question about umpire Laz Diaz

Postby wrveres » Wed May 23, 2007 3:05 am

s221506 wrote:Not an expert in this area by any means but I have heard that Diaz can have a really tight strike zone. I heard for Lincecum 1st start and for Peavy last start that his being behind the plate had an impact.

My question(s): Is it worth finding out when he is call the Balls and Strikes and taking that into consideration on borderline starts? Can this be done?

:-?

The only place that lists the umpire behind the plate early in the day is usually gambling sights.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby jfg » Wed May 23, 2007 3:35 am

I don't think fantasy websites have realized their true potential yet. I think they still consider it just a game instead of a multi-million dollar business. There's no reason that gambling sites should be the source of that info. There is so much more a realized fantasy website could do and they could rake in profits. This coming from a guy watching Comedy Central on his couch. But it's true.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Steve-o » Wed May 23, 2007 9:34 am

I have always believed that gambling wwebsites are an under appreciated source of fantasy information. Helpful for spot starters by looking at the lines. They can also help chose which position players to start by looking at over unders. Granted, it's not gospel, but when you have two really close players it sometimes helps me make a decision.

I have a link to umpire stats at home, but hereis one I just found quickly. It looks as if Diaz has a wider strike zone, calling 15.6 SO per game (7th of 50 or so).

From what I remember of the Lincecum debut game, his strike zone was tight the first few innings and then really expanded after that. I think he started calling a lot more high strikes past teh half way point of the game.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed May 23, 2007 9:43 am

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dice » Wed May 23, 2007 11:07 am

Didn't Laz Diaz take down a fan who ran onto the field, once?
www.csfbl.com Computer Simulated Fantasy Baseball League
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers