Ben Sheets - Injured Again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ben Sheets - Injured Again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ben Sheets - Injured Again

Postby BMcP » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 am

Ben Sheets left Tuesday's game in the seventh inning with an apparent right hand injury.

It looked like he might have developed a blister. Should Sheets land on the DL, Yovani Gallardo might get a chance to make his major league debut. If the Brewers think he'll miss only one start, they'd likely go to Carlos Villanueva instead. (rotoworld)

So - let the discussion begin.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 23, 2007 12:30 am

Gall ar do! Gall ar do!
as a non owner of Sheets i dont really care that hes hurt, but since im looking forward to Gallardo coming up i hope Sheets misses more than just 1 start.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:31 am

as long as its not his back, elbow, or shoulder...its all good.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby Ender » Wed May 23, 2007 12:32 am

Its a very minor blister, right now the plan is his start will be pushed back a day so he gets 6 days rest. Don't have a link for that info but I'm watching the post game right now and thats what they said.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 12:33 am

Christ...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BMcP » Wed May 23, 2007 12:37 am

Would one extra day really allow the blister to heal to the extent that the Brewers would go from not allowing him to pitch to letting him pitch? Seems unnecessarily risky, particularly with their ace.

I could see the Brewers treating the situation similarly to the Beckett/Bonderman situations.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Wed May 23, 2007 12:39 am

25.1 IP, 19 H, 23 K, 3.20 ERA in his past 4 games now. I'd say his pitching has come around to almost what would be expected now.

He has no history of blister problems so I wouldn't really be worried about it, its just one of those things that most pitchers get at some point in their career.

I can say that there is almost no chance Gallardo comes up, if they did end up going the DL route they have a day off so would just skip his turn and then next time his turn came up I imagine Villanueva would start with Dessens working in long relief.
Last edited by Ender on Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 12:39 am

BMcP wrote:Would one extra day really allow the blister to heal to the extent that the Brewers would go from not allowing him to pitch to letting him pitch? Seems unnecessarily risky, particularly with their ace.

I could see the Brewers treating the situation similarly to the Beckett/Bonderman situations.

If it resembles anything like a blister then you can bet your bottom dollar that he will go on the DL.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 am

Scooter said in another thread that Villaneuva will probably be next to take a rotation spot and I tend to agree. He is usually right on with Brewers news.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:54 am

RynMan wrote:Scooter said in another thread that Villaneuva will probably be next to take a rotation spot and I tend to agree. He is usually right on with Brewers news.

Yeah, I think it would be Villy. I don't have any big insider info on that, but I think they'd go with the guy with some proven major league success before reaching down for a 21 year old with a grand total of 54 AAA innings. I especially think that would be true in this case, where if Sheeter misses any time, it won't be a more than a couple starts (I think, I hope). I would think they'd just bump Villy into the rotation, make Dessens the primary long man, and call up a bullpen arm. In short, I agree with Ender (as I usually do).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates