Jose Reyes Owners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes Owners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rotoquest » Tue May 22, 2007 6:09 pm

1. How high did you draft Reyes/ what did you trade for him?
2. What is your league format?
3. How competitive is your league?
4. What place are you in?

1. In the league I have him in I drafted him 5th overall.
2. 12 team 5x5 roto
3. Pretty competetive, all owners seem to search the waiver wire pretty often. There is only 20 points difference between 3rd & 12th.
4. 1st place
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Charette » Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Fantasy Cafe H2HWS league. 18 Teams
I drafted Reyes with the 4th pick. I'm currently in 1st place.
I don't think it's a negative to not get a power hitter in the 1st round. I think getting Reyes allows a team to not worry about speed until later in the draft, thus allowing the team to accumulate power .
I got Bobby Abreau and Brandon Phillips to add more speed.
I've been a little lucky with the hot starts of T. Hunter and Prince Fielder as well as Posada. I also got more power late in the draft.
( Chris Duncan) . I believe that if you take a guy like Reyes or Crawford early, then you need to get a power bat in centerfield. There's not a lot of power there. By getting Hunter , I make up for some of the lost power from not taking a power hitter in round 1.
Hunter may hit something like 28 homeruns. Many center fielders with speed may only get 10, or even less with Pierre .
Reyes may hit 20 hr's. The power hitter I may have picked in round 1 might get 40. So I may have lost 20 or so homeruns with Reyes as my round 1 pick, but I made up the difference by getting a power hitter at center. I also picked Phillips at 2nd base because he should hit more Hr's than many of the fast 2nd basemen. So I gained some power over many team's 2nd baseman.
I guess what I'm getting at is that if you take Reyes in round 1 , then the power loss can be made up later in the draft. I don't think he's a bad pick in round 1.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KronJon » Tue May 22, 2007 7:32 pm

Well, I see a lot of responses to my post.

It is no lie, and my success rate has been about the same every year I've done fantasy baseball. Two years ago I won 7 of 8 leagues...last year I won 10 out of 12. Of the 16 leagues I am in this year, two of them are private leagues with highly knowledgable players. Another two leagues are yahoo winners leagues. The rest are public yahoo leagues.

Believe me now? I'm at work right now but when I get home I can start posting links if it is really necessary. Also, regarding the high number of leagues... yes it is a pain and I don't plan on joining this many ever again. However, I drafted the same players on most of these teams so it really doesn't take up that much time.

I feel like people took this as me boasting and bragging... that is not the case. I don't think what I've done is all that impressive considering I am not playing for money. This thread is about success rates for those who did and who did not draft Reyes... and I am definitely a case of success without Reyes. The reason for this is I drafted A-Rod instead.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Tue May 22, 2007 7:43 pm

The G.O.A.T. wrote:I agree though that drafting one player won't make your team. You just have to pick up the stats Jose doesn't bring elsewhere in your draft. I think a better question is asking people who drafted Pujols, Howard or Carpenter and where they are right now.

Can you make up the loss of power and RBI's though? I think in a competitive league that's hard to do. Also, by drafting Reyes you have to go into the season expecting to win steals but Reyes can't do it alone. You're going to have to find one more guy to swipe bases so who's that going to be, and how much power are you going to lose? I think it might be a downhill battle.

Here's another question. How did Reyes owners do last year?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:21 pm

jfg wrote:
The G.O.A.T. wrote:I agree though that drafting one player won't make your team. You just have to pick up the stats Jose doesn't bring elsewhere in your draft. I think a better question is asking people who drafted Pujols, Howard or Carpenter and where they are right now.

Can you make up the loss of power and RBI's though? I think in a competitive league that's hard to do. Also, by drafting Reyes you have to go into the season expecting to win steals but Reyes can't do it alone. You're going to have to find one more guy to swipe bases so who's that going to be, and how much power are you going to lose? I think it might be a downhill battle.

Here's another question. How did Reyes owners do last year?

2nd place as a reyes owner last season. 2nd place as a reyes owner this season. Reyes can win you steals by himself, all you need is a few players who get 5-10 stolen bases, like most players will. He's a great player to have, when you can get contributions at every category from your SS it's great to have.
But like many other people said, one player won't win you a season. In football this may be so, but in baseball one player means next to nothing. You need a good all around team.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Athrun340 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:28 pm

J35J wrote:
Athrun340 wrote:interesting thread .. i wanna do this last week but wasnt able to .. i was at the 8th spot in drafting so i ended up with hanley ramirez
well if i was able to draft reyes .. my rest of the draft would go like this

1. reyes
2. travis hafner
3. power hitter
4. power hitter
5. power hitter

just keep drafting HR hitters .. reyes is a one man wrecking crew in SB .. you could easily win the SB category with just him in the starting lineup

You picked Hanley 8th overall?? 8-o

no actually it was david ortiz then hanley .. my fault hehe
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dipset » Tue May 22, 2007 11:56 pm

10 team 5x5 h2h

2nd pick of the draft
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:09 am

KronJon wrote:Well, I see a lot of responses to my post.

It is no lie, and my success rate has been about the same every year I've done fantasy baseball. Two years ago I won 7 of 8 leagues...last year I won 10 out of 12. Of the 16 leagues I am in this year, two of them are private leagues with highly knowledgable players. Another two leagues are yahoo winners leagues. The rest are public yahoo leagues.

Believe me now? I'm at work right now but when I get home I can start posting links if it is really necessary. Also, regarding the high number of leagues... yes it is a pain and I don't plan on joining this many ever again. However, I drafted the same players on most of these teams so it really doesn't take up that much time.

I feel like people took this as me boasting and bragging... that is not the case. I don't think what I've done is all that impressive considering I am not playing for money. This thread is about success rates for those who did and who did not draft Reyes... and I am definitely a case of success without Reyes. The reason for this is I drafted A-Rod instead.

Your awesome cause you dominate on 12 yahoo public leagues. Dude thats a joke and a waste of time. All you've stated is that its possible to win with drafting different players; a fact that we all already know :-?
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby dbstrat » Wed May 23, 2007 10:53 am

I'd like to see these leagues, personally. I've done a lot of Yahoo public leagues in the past and they aren't overly challenging, but no two draft go exactly alike, for one thing, and for another thing...it's impossible to go year after year even with a good strategy and not get really unlucky from time to time unless you have a crystal ball.

So....links? :-D
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Jose Reyes Owners

Postby Guzman24 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:41 am

jfg wrote:I'm exploring if Reyes is a key to success or the other way around. I think it might be the latter just from looking at 5-6 leagues, but I'm not sure. So here are my questions....

1. How high did you draft Reyes/ what did you trade for him?
2. What is your league format?
3. How competitive is your league?
4. What place are you in?

It's just an experiment. The more input the better. I understand there are many variables and one player probably can't make that much difference, but I think it's worth looking at.

To answer your questions:

I took Reyes in the 3rd round of our draft last year 27th overall

12 teams H2H 5x5 Keeper league in its second year - we keep 8

Very competitive, knowledgable owners

Currently sitting in 2nd, Came 2nd last year
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext