Jose Reyes Owners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes Owners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Reyes Owners

Postby jfg » Tue May 22, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm exploring if Reyes is a key to success or the other way around. I think it might be the latter just from looking at 5-6 leagues, but I'm not sure. So here are my questions....

1. How high did you draft Reyes/ what did you trade for him?
2. What is your league format?
3. How competitive is your league?
4. What place are you in?

It's just an experiment. The more input the better. I understand there are many variables and one player probably can't make that much difference, but I think it's worth looking at.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KronJon » Tue May 22, 2007 3:56 pm

Well, I have 16 teams and never drafted Reyes once. I have 12 teams in 1st, 3 in 2nd, and one in 4th.

I was drafting A-Rod as much as possible. I had him ranked #2 behind Pujols. If I didn't get A-Rod, I usually ended up with a combination of Crawford and M-Cab.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Al Czervik » Tue May 22, 2007 3:57 pm

I drafted him 3rd overall in a 12 team, 5x5 roto. The league is moderately competetive, and I'm in 6th place overall. But I just looked back at the draft results, and I really did draft pretty poorly overall, including Carpenter in the end of the 2nd, Brian Roberts in the fourth, Pierre in the 7th, Sexson in the tenth. :*) My place in the league doesn't have much to do with Reyes.

I drafted way too much speed and not near enough power, so I ended up trading Reyes and Hall away for Wright, Bonds and Renteria a few weeks ago. Since then I've come out of the hole a little bit.
"There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball."
Al Czervik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 22, 2007 3:57 pm

I've got him in 2 of my leagues. One is a keeper league and I've had him for 2 years now, so that doesn't really count in your question.

The other is a Yahoo public HTH league. I drafted him 3rd overall. I'm not doing so hot right now (9 out of 12) but a lot of that was early injuries to my other players. You'd have to check back with me on this one at the end of the year.

In my main money league (very competitive) 5x5 HTH, the Reyes owner drafted him 4th overall and is currently in 3rd place out of 12. So not bad.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "the other way around". Anyways...

1. I drafted reyes 2, I do no regret
2. 5X5 H2H daily lineups, 16 teams, we also tried two divisions of 8 this year
3. Very competitive, most of us have been playing together for a long time and money is obviously involved
4. I'm in 8th but personally I think standings are irrelevant at this point. Its too early to judge who's who in the league, and any manager can out manage anyone else. So while you may say I sit in a bad spot, I am not concerned...

I'm not sure what your trying to do here but i figured id help out
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Re: Jose Reyes Owners

Postby NYCBuckeye » Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 pm

jfg wrote:I'm exploring if Reyes is a key to success or the other way around. I think it might be the latter just from looking at 5-6 leagues, but I'm not sure. So here are my questions....

It's just an experiment. The more input the better. I understand there are many variables and one player probably can't make that much difference, but I think it's worth looking at.

I am in a 12-team league (keeper, but this was our first draft after branching off from another league), and we award a playoff head-to-head titles (5x5) and an overall cumulative stats champion.

I had the #2 overall pick and landed Reyes, and I am 6-0-1 overall in my head-to-head (first place in my division by 2.5 games) and I am first by a considerable margin in the stat race.

Granted, a lot of my draft picks have really panned out (Cole Hammels, Justin Verlander, Carlos Lee, Torii Hunter, John Maine, Justin Morneau, etc), but Reyes has been a key element to my early success ...
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Tue May 22, 2007 4:19 pm

One player is not going to make or break your team.

Having said that in my main H2H league the team that drafted Reyes has only won the SB category twice because of him so far. He drafted him 4th and is in 6th place out of 14 teams.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 22, 2007 4:36 pm

KronJon wrote:Well, I have 16 teams and never drafted Reyes once. I have 12 teams in 1st, 3 in 2nd, and one in 4th.

I was drafting A-Rod as much as possible. I had him ranked #2 behind Pujols. If I didn't get A-Rod, I usually ended up with a combination of Crawford and M-Cab.

Who are you playing against, the disabled? :-? You'll have to excuse me, but that claim sounds like a bit of a stretch. Hell, I'd have trouble believing you were in 16 leagues, period. I've heard of guys playing as many as a dozen leagues, but they've all crashed eventually and had to cut back. I just find it hard to believe that you play in 16 leagues, 75% of which are in 1st, and 94% of which are in the Top 2, heck, even if you are playing against the worst of the worst players.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Ender » Tue May 22, 2007 4:44 pm

I could see it with a bunch of yahoo public leagues, those things are terrible.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nbb23 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 pm

1. League 1: Drafted 6th League 2: Drafted 3rd
2. League 1: 10 team H2H 8x8 (H, BB, IBB, IP, CG, SHO) non keeper
League 2: 12 team H2H 5x5 non keeper
3. League 1: Competitive w/ friends (Live Draft)
League 2: Casual Yahoo Public (Auto Draft)
4. League 1: 2nd Place (only .5 game behind 1st)
League 2: 4th place
nbb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers