What do you do about keeper fire sales? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you do about keeper fire sales?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 22, 2007 5:23 pm

I traded Utley basically for Carlos Zambrano a week or so ago. Utley is an unrestricted FA at the end of the year and Z still has 2 years left on his contract. It made the trade a good one for me, in my opinion. Though I will lose a little this year.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
markj11 wrote:
TheHumdingerDynasty wrote:
pangbones wrote:This happens all the time in some of my keeper leagues as well. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the owners aren't colluding. That is the beauty of the keeper league, if you're out, at least you can try and salvage something for next year.

That's true, that's why I think I like keeper leagues more.

Also, most people are not gonna trade someone like A-Rod away in a keeper league because why wouldn't you want to have A-Rod next year.

We actually had a guy during the off season trade A-Rod and 1st round pick for Sizemore.

Well then it's clear that your problem is not the system but the people. No one in our league would trade Arod/1st rounder for Grady. That's just stupid and you guys play for money. I'd drop out so fast that I wouldn't even have the time to complain.

The comish was the one getting Arod and the pick.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 5:26 pm

markj11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
markj11 wrote:
TheHumdingerDynasty wrote:
pangbones wrote:This happens all the time in some of my keeper leagues as well. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the owners aren't colluding. That is the beauty of the keeper league, if you're out, at least you can try and salvage something for next year.

That's true, that's why I think I like keeper leagues more.

Also, most people are not gonna trade someone like A-Rod away in a keeper league because why wouldn't you want to have A-Rod next year.

We actually had a guy during the off season trade A-Rod and 1st round pick for Sizemore.

Well then it's clear that your problem is not the system but the people. No one in our league would trade Arod/1st rounder for Grady. That's just stupid and you guys play for money. I'd drop out so fast that I wouldn't even have the time to complain.

The comish was the one getting Arod and the pick.

How convenient is that? I'm sure there was no question on that one. :-D Find some better people to play against.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 22, 2007 6:24 pm

I didn't read the entire thread but I don't mind these type deals in principal but the people doing them rarely understand what they are doing. They just see:

1. Keeper league.......check.
2. Have some solid "older" players.......check.
3. Can trade them for youth.......check.
4. Rebuilding for the future.......check.

Now, in a dynasty league, this might not be a bad idea, depending on the makeup of the team and the future of the league. The latter is important because so many people overvalue youth in a keeper and just run for the kids. Who knows how long this league will be around??

Back to my original point.......In this league, I can see this being a lose/lose situation for the dumping team. Not only do they get worse now, they also might get worse for the future because these guys won't be kept, at least on my team. I don't care what the upside is. If I am only keeping 3 players, you are damn sure that Pence won't be 1 of them. There will definitely be 3 better options than him. Cust?? Please.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby swyck » Tue May 22, 2007 7:06 pm

markj11 wrote:We voted on the comish. He does allow everyone to voice their views. I am just starting to think that this could turn into the bottom 2-3 teams selling out every year.

What do you think the bottom 2-3 teams should do?

IMO its way too early to give it up in any league, no matter how far back you are, but that's just my opinion.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby markj11 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I didn't read the entire thread but I don't mind these type deals in principal but the people doing them rarely understand what they are doing. They just see:

1. Keeper league.......check.
2. Have some solid "older" players.......check.
3. Can trade them for youth.......check.
4. Rebuilding for the future.......check.

Now, in a dynasty league, this might not be a bad idea, depending on the makeup of the team and the future of the league. The latter is important because so many people overvalue youth in a keeper and just run for the kids. Who knows how long this league will be around??

Back to my original point.......In this league, I can see this being a lose/lose situation for the dumping team. Not only do they get worse now, they also might get worse for the future because these guys won't be kept, at least on my team. I don't care what the upside is. If I am only keeping 3 players, you are damn sure that Pence won't be 1 of them. There will definitely be 3 better options than him. Cust?? Please.

Part of the trade involved an 8th round pick which would give him 2. You can forfiet your 8th round pick to keep a rookie. A guy this past draft had 2 8th round(actually 11th) picks and got to keep Hanley and Papelbon.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers