What do you do about keeper fire sales? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you do about keeper fire sales?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pangbones » Tue May 22, 2007 3:24 pm

This happens all the time in some of my keeper leagues as well. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the owners aren't colluding. That is the beauty of the keeper league, if you're out, at least you can try and salvage something for next year.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Rounders wrote:
markj11 wrote:
hot4tx wrote:We've added a clause that you can't have more than 2 picks in any round and no more than 3 picks in any 2 rounds. This allows these types of trades but prevents someone from doing 6 of them or something and having an enormous advantage the following year.

I like this.

We don't allow trading of picks at all. Maybe not your cup of tea, but it makes things easier since we do on-line drafts.

We allow trading picks but you have to still keep the same number of players for next year. You don't see too many trades involving picks that way. Most guys in our league realize that draft picks are very important and everyone holds onto their high picks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheHumdingerDynasty » Tue May 22, 2007 4:36 pm

pangbones wrote:This happens all the time in some of my keeper leagues as well. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the owners aren't colluding. That is the beauty of the keeper league, if you're out, at least you can try and salvage something for next year.

That's true, that's why I think I like keeper leagues more.

Also, most people are not gonna trade someone like A-Rod away in a keeper league because why wouldn't you want to have A-Rod next year.
TheHumdingerDynasty
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue May 22, 2007 4:36 pm

markj11 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
markj11 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:It doesn't appear that anything is wrong here. It's the nature of a keeper league. If an owner generally feels he has no chance at winning or competing or whatever this season, he is well within his rights to make any necessary moves that he feels will make his team more competitive next season, provided he isn't destroying the competitive balance of the league or colluding with other owners. Maybe you as a team who is competing don't like him moving players to your competition to make them better, but, you have to live with it, or just play redraft leagues.

I agree, the comish thinks this:
The problem I face, guys, is that the league's rules don't contemplate irrational or agenda-oriented trades or the possibility that a GM will throw in the towel and attempt to give away his better players almost before the season begins. That's why we have a commissioner, I reckon, a guy whose duty is to torpedo such things so that competitive balance can be preserved.

I think it's retarded to allow any person with vested interested in the league have the power to veto trades. Just my opinion...

We voted on the comish. He does allow everyone to voice their views. I am just starting to think that this could turn into the bottom 2-3 teams selling out every year.

Well the idea is that the bottom 2-3 teams this year are positioning themselves NOT to be the bottom 2-3 next year, while the Top 2-3 teams should be doing everything in their power to win NOW.

If a top team can trade Lincecum for A-Rod (to use that hypothetical, and assuming Arod cannot be kept), what's wrong with that? Nothing stopped everybody else in the league from going after A-Rod. This is the ENTIRE point of keeper leagues - you can't just say its unbalanced based on this year, you have to look at subsequent years too.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby markj11 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:45 pm

TheHumdingerDynasty wrote:
pangbones wrote:This happens all the time in some of my keeper leagues as well. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the owners aren't colluding. That is the beauty of the keeper league, if you're out, at least you can try and salvage something for next year.

Also, most people are not gonna trade someone like A-Rod away in a keeper league because why wouldn't you want to have A-Rod next year.

We actually had a guy during the off season trade A-Rod and 1st round pick for Sizemore.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 22, 2007 4:50 pm

I don't do anything. It is what makes keeper leagues so great.

Three years ago, I dealt two of my minor leaguers in Delmon Young and Gavin Floyd for Jim Thome. It was huge for my team at the time, and I fell in the championship game 6-5. A large part of the reason I got there, was because I was able to make that deal. And now the owner that I made it with has a very young and talented team with the likes of Delmon, Hamels, Fielder, Weeks and McCann on it because he traded for the future.

I love the strategy it adds. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby knapplc » Tue May 22, 2007 4:52 pm

My Keeper league has Fire Sales all the time. We have 14 teams and it’s very competitive. I won last year and I made deals last year to get players before the deadline, in some cases by trading away this year’s draft picks. So I ended up with no 2nd, no 4th and no 6th round pick. The tradeoff is that I won the league.

This year, however, I’m in trouble because of that choice to mortgage 2007 for success in 2006. So now I’m contemplating a Fire Sale for this season so I can build for next year with draft picks.

I see nothing wrong with this. This is exactly what MLB teams do all the time. The way I see it, in any deal you are trading commodities, whether those commodities are players, draft picks or cash. If you’re going to trade, both parties should come out of it with something of value, whether that value is immediate or comes through later is up to the two people making the deal.

The Commish should ONLY veto trades where there are obvious signs of collusion. The Commish should NOT veto trades simply because one owner is dumb and it might hurt other owners. I Commish my $$$ Football league, and aside from writing the weekly Rag you’d barely know I’m there. I have a very light hand when it comes to trades. I let stupid trades go through all the time because I’m not there to act as a Super-Manager over the other Managers, I’m there to make sure nobody cheats.

Sorry, but if this trade gets vetoed I’d be ripped, even as an impartial third-party owner in that league.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue May 22, 2007 4:53 pm

markj11 wrote:

We actually had a guy during the off season trade A-Rod and 1st round pick for Sizemore.

ARod was traded in my league last year for the first time in years and years - I lost count how many years he was on the previous team's roster.

Lucky for me I beat the team that acquired him, but even in a Keeper these kinds of players move around.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 5:05 pm

markj11 wrote:

Well then it's clear that your problem is not the system but the people. No one in our league would trade Arod/1st rounder for Grady. That's just stupid and you guys play for money. I'd drop out so fast that I wouldn't even have the time to complain.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rhydderch » Tue May 22, 2007 5:16 pm

I've been in a 12 team auction league for the last four years. A firesale occurs every year and we really tried to contain it a first, but now we just accept it. Its part of the league and we all play by the same rules.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers