Most Overrated Players of All-Time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Most Overrated Players of All-Time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 22, 2007 8:18 pm

JMB05 wrote:As far as contracts go, my vote is for Ron Gant.

If I remember correctly Sports Illustrated voted him "Most Over Payed Player," like three years in a row in the 90's.

He probably won't win this argument but he was always my favorite player, just because he got payed so much to suck.

And please leave the "he was awesome with atlanta, but after he broke his leg...." crap at the door.

Eh, '91 - '98 he was a pretty good player. As a Mets fan I always hated him when he was a Brave. He broke his leg in '94, so he still put together some good seasons after that in Atlanta, but there was definitely a sharp decrease in games played each season from '95 forward. Interestingly enough, that year when he broke his leg, he was the league's 3rd highest paid player at $5.5M.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue May 22, 2007 8:47 pm

noseeum wrote:The funny thing about third base is that people tend to thing of third base as an offensive position. Yet when you look back, there are so few good offensive third basemen. There are so few 3bs in the HOF in fact. Brooks Robinson is definitely top 10, and it's due to his glove, but it's also due to the fact there are so few good 3bs throughout history.

3B isn't nearly as offensively deficient as you are making it out to be, especially considering it is completely limited to players who throw right handed. There are very few who excel both offensively and defensively both there have been many who are average or below with the glove who could rake. I can see people rating Brooks top 10, I have him just outside the top 10 (just inside if you take out the multi position guys like Molitor). But he is constantly overrated by many (often in the top 3) for being a great glove guy. The difference between being a great defensive 3B and an average one doesn't have the same impact as being a great defensive SS and an average one.

1. Schmidt
2. Brett
3. Mathews
4. Boggs
5. Molitor
6. Santo
7. Collins
8. Allen
9. Traynor
10. K. Boyer
11. B. Robinson

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby CadensDad » Tue May 22, 2007 9:05 pm

I might be looking through "Braves fan" eyes but how is Andruw Overrated? I mean other than a low average he is a stud, Also remember he is only 30 and has alot of years to go. I think he's a top 5-7 all time best CF

Also Piazza overrated? Someone has got to be joking

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue May 22, 2007 9:13 pm

CadensDad wrote:I might be looking through "Braves fan" eyes but how is Andruw Overrated? I mean other than a low average he is a stud, Also remember he is only 30 and has alot of years to go. I think he's a top 5-7 all time best CF

Also Piazza overrated? Someone has got to be joking

5-7 all-time? I think you just proved everyone's point who says he's overrated. We'll see if he continues to improve or not. Plus he plays the game like a cocky prick so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me anyway.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Tue May 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Tavish wrote:
noseeum wrote:The funny thing about third base is that people tend to thing of third base as an offensive position. Yet when you look back, there are so few good offensive third basemen. There are so few 3bs in the HOF in fact. Brooks Robinson is definitely top 10, and it's due to his glove, but it's also due to the fact there are so few good 3bs throughout history.

3B isn't nearly as offensively deficient as you are making it out to be, especially considering it is completely limited to players who throw right handed. There are very few who excel both offensively and defensively both there have been many who are average or below with the glove who could rake. I can see people rating Brooks top 10, I have him just outside the top 10 (just inside if you take out the multi position guys like Molitor). But he is constantly overrated by many (often in the top 3) for being a great glove guy. The difference between being a great defensive 3B and an average one doesn't have the same impact as being a great defensive SS and an average one.

1. Schmidt
2. Brett
3. Mathews
4. Boggs
5. Molitor
6. Santo
7. Collins
8. Allen
9. Traynor
10. K. Boyer
11. B. Robinson

You forgot Home Run Baker. I wasn't saying there are no good offensive 3bs. Just that there are not 20 total offensive studs. Plenty of good ones of course.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm

CadensDad wrote:I might be looking through "Braves fan" eyes but how is Andruw Overrated? I mean other than a low average he is a stud, Also remember he is only 30 and has alot of years to go. I think he's a top 5-7 all time best CF

Cobb
Mays
Mantle
Speaker
DiMaggio
Hamilton
Griffey
Snider
Ashburn

Which 3 do you drop?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Ty Webb » Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 pm

acsguitar wrote:Why'd you have to go and drag Donny baseball into this :~(

it brings a tear to my eye :,-( but i get the argument

however... jeter, come on, its the haters talking. they are more just tired of seeing him in the spotlight. guy is a lock for 190+ hits, 115 runs, .300+ BA, 15-20 bombs, 20 steals per season. no shot he is overrated... when people say that they are underrating him.
Ty Webb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue May 22, 2007 9:43 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Why'd you have to go and drag Donny baseball into this :~(

it brings a tear to my eye :,-( but i get the argument

however... jeter, come on, its the haters talking. they are more just tired of seeing him in the spotlight. guy is a lock for 190+ hits, 115 runs, .300+ BA, 15-20 bombs, 20 steals per season. no shot he is overrated... when people say that they are underrating him.

Most overrated defensive player...ever. I'd have to think about it a bit, but I'm pretty sure he'd be outside my top 15 SS's ever, and probably 20. Yet people act like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:59 pm

SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:SS Phil Rizzuto (guys has very favorable comps to Jose friggin Offerman

Yeah, I loved pulling up Rizzuto's baseball reference page once I started reading this thread and seeing Offerman as his #1 comparison. Granted, those comparisons are far from perfect, but how did Phil get in the HOF again?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Tue May 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:SS Phil Rizzuto (guys has very favorable comps to Jose friggin Offerman

Yeah, I loved pulling up Rizzuto's baseball reference page once I started reading this thread and seeing Offerman as his #1 comparison. Granted, those comparisons are far from perfect, but how did Phil get in the HOF again?

Yankees fans couldn't stand it that Reese got in but Rizzuto couldn't. The VC voted him just so they would shut up.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History