Most Overrated Players of All-Time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Most Overrated Players of All-Time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Tue May 22, 2007 1:35 pm

acsguitar wrote:Why'd you have to go and drag Donny baseball into this :~(

I love Mattingly, but I'd probably say he's a little overrated. It would have been nice if he'd learned to take a pitch a little more to get that OBP over .400 for a few years, but in his defense, Bill James was still probably working security while Mattingly was raking it.

His peak years were awesome of course, but there are plenty of other first basemen with peak years that are equally good.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 1:35 pm

noseeum wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Why'd you have to go and drag Donny baseball into this :~(

I love Mattingly, but I'd probably say he's a little overrated. It would have been nice if he'd learned to take a pitch a little more to get that OBP over .400 for a few years, but in his defense, Bill James was still probably working security while Mattingly was raking it.

His peak years were awesome of course, but there are plenty of other first basemen with peak years that are equally good.

Definitely overrated Mattingly is.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 22, 2007 1:47 pm

no mention of adrian beltre? you guys are slipping :-° :-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 22, 2007 1:49 pm

Why's mattingly overrated he's not ever mentioned for the hall with any seriousness
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby noseeum » Tue May 22, 2007 1:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:Why's mattingly overrated he's not ever mentioned for the hall with any seriousness

I think it's more about his peak four years. They were great, but were they as great as you remember? The year he hit .352 he had a .394 OBP. He had a great run for sure, but it wasn't like a Pujols run or anything. This coming from a Yankee fan, BTW.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue May 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Am I seeing things or am I seeing Brooks Robinson, KGJ, and Pete Rose on overrated lists?

Pete Rose and KGJ would be in my top 20 all-time without question. Griffey was the best player in baseball for almost a decade.

But I'd agree with Mattingly, Ryan, and Jeter and like to submit Fred McFriff, Pameiro, and Cal Ripken Jr to this list.[/b]
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue May 22, 2007 2:11 pm

If you were to rank your All-Time 3B where would you put Robinson?
Where would you rank Rose among the game's greatest players?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 22, 2007 2:21 pm

Tavish wrote:If you were to rank your All-Time 3B where would you put Robinson?
Where would you rank Rose among the game's greatest players?

I'd place Brooks Robinson in the Top 10, but not the Top 5. Below average with the bat, but top notch defensively. Rose would likely be in the 75th overall or so range. He couldn't slug worth a crap, but he did have value.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby elldog5 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Whoever said Biggio could be considered the player of the 90's, what are you thinking?

How about Griffey, Big Hurt, Sosa, Magwire, Maddux, Clemens, RJ, I know you said Bonds, they were all better. There are probably more.
elldog5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 405z06 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:26 pm

I've seen some arguments that make the case for Joe Carter being very overated. I can't remember the source (James?). I know he is not a HOF-caliber player, but... that's my $.02
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History