Most Overrated Players of All-Time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Most Overrated Players of All-Time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:09 pm

I laughed at the list. Sure he has some good ones, but no Derek Jeter. And Andruw Jones the most overrated CF ever, come on? He is one of the best pure power hitters in the game, and is one of the best of all-time patrolling CF. Did I mention he is only 30 (just turned 30 for that matter) and has won numerous gold gloves? At 30 he already has 348 HRs and 134 SBs. That isn't too shabby.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Tue May 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Nolan Ryan is probably the most worthy of this team. The K's and no hitters have made many the casual fan think he's the greatest pitcher of all time.

Ichiro is my pick. Hype won him an MVP award not deserving stats.

And Jeter? Please. Career .318 avg and .390 OBP for a leadoff-type guy. Fielding, sure but there's nothing overrated about his hitting.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SignGuy » Tue May 22, 2007 1:15 pm

blankman wrote:Ichiro is my pick. Hype won him an MVP award not deserving stats.

I knew Ichiro was going to come up here sooner or later. He's a hitting machine and has a bunch of gold gloves. Has to be among the best leadoff hitters even without the walks. I do agree his following might have got him the MVP but he certainly had the numbers, especially after coming over form japan
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue May 22, 2007 1:18 pm

C - Thurman Munson
1B - Don Mattingly
2B - Jeff Kent
3B - Brooks Robinson (Schmidt isn't far behind)
SS - Phil Rizzuto
OF - Reggie Jackson
OF - Pete Rose
OF - Jose Canseco

SP - Nolan Ryan
SP - Bob Gibson
SP - Don Drysdale
SP - Whitey Ford
CL - All of em

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby noseeum » Tue May 22, 2007 1:19 pm

The whole Jeter is overrated thing makes me laugh. How can a guy be overrated when all that's ever spoken about him is he's overrated? I never hear anyone saying he's the best SS in the game. I never hear people say he's the best of all time. All I hear is he's a surefire hall of famer, and a heck of a player. Sure, you can argue he needs another couple of good years to make the HOF, but it's clear he's on pace to make it.

People that like him simply say he's one of the best players in baseball, and who can argue with that? Yeah, there are guys that hit for more power, or steal more bases, or score more runs, or get more RBIS, or get more hits, or play better defense. But he does well in every offensive category coming from a weak offensive position, and there are very few players who can say that.

It's like the overrated camp wants people to say he sucks when he clearly does not suck. It's OK to admit he's a great player ya know.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Tue May 22, 2007 1:21 pm

If people agreed with all of his choices then the players he lists wouldn't be overrated.

I think the most overrated pitcher currently playing is Barry Zito, doesn't mean everyone else will agree with me.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby noseeum » Tue May 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Tavish wrote:C - Thurman Munson
1B - Don Mattingly
2B - Jeff Kent
SS - Phil Rizzuto
OF - Reggie Jackson
OF - Pete Rose
OF - Jose Canseco

SP - Nolan Ryan
SP - Bob Gibson
SP - Don Drysdale
SP - Whitey Ford
CL - All of em

Thurman Munson? The guy died. And he didn't even make the hall of fame or anything. I don't get your logic. Three straight seasons over 100 RBI from a catcher in an offensively challenged era is nothing to sneeze at, but even so, I never hear anyone putting him in the top 5 catchers of all time or anything. How could he possibly be overrated?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Why'd you have to go and drag Donny baseball into this :~(
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Tavish wrote:C - Thurman Munson
1B - Don Mattingly
2B - Jeff Kent
SS - Phil Rizzuto
OF - Reggie Jackson
OF - Pete Rose
OF - Jose Canseco

SP - Nolan Ryan
SP - Bob Gibson
SP - Don Drysdale
SP - Whitey Ford
CL - All of em

Reggie Jackson would've been my pick to replace Blomberg at DH. Interested to hear your explanation on Kent, though. He's one of the main guys I look to when weighing a guy like Biggio against contemporary 2Bs.

As for Derek Jeter, my position on the Yankees is well-documented, and Jeter, at best, is rated right where he ought to be, and it is my opinion that he is actually pretty underrated.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby blankman » Tue May 22, 2007 1:30 pm

SignGuy wrote:
blankman wrote:Ichiro is my pick. Hype won him an MVP award not deserving stats.

I knew Ichiro was going to come up here sooner or later. He's a hitting machine and has a bunch of gold gloves. Has to be among the best leadoff hitters even without the walks. I do agree his following might have got him the MVP but he certainly had the numbers, especially after coming over form japan

That is why he's overrated.

A guy with a .375 OBP who makes the most outs in the game is not a great leadoff hitter. Practically all of his hits are singles so the majority of his hits are no more valuable than a walk.

There's a whole recent thread on this, so its not worth going into all over again.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History