Blue Ray vs. HD DVD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I usually like to wait until I am sure. Getting a Betamax this year. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I usually like to wait until I am sure. Getting a Betamax this year. ;-D

Those are awesome. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Always buy Sony ;-D

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Coppermine wrote:Always buy Sony ;-D

looks more like something rolling through the streets of Baghdad than a moviepictureplaybackamajig.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 3:32 pm

I just want to know one thing. Is this thing bulletproof or?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WhiteHot » Wed May 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Plastic Media? People still use this stuff?
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 23, 2007 4:48 pm

This baby will look sweet in the entertainment center. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

This baby will look sweet in the entertainment center. ;-D

It will work nicely as the base for my 42" TV.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:13 pm

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_513097.html

AP wrote:LOS ANGELES (AP) — Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format.

The move, being announced Monday, could be the first step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.

"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbuster, told The Associated Press.

Blockbuster will continue to rent HD DVD titles in the original 250 locations and online, the Dallas-based company said.

The decision was helped in large part by the lopsided availability of titles in Blu-ray, Smith said. All major studios except one are releasing films in Blu-ray, with several, including The Walt Disney Co., releasing exclusively in Blu-ray. Only Universal Studios, which is owned by General Electric Co., exclusively supports HD DVD.

Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc., and Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom Inc., release films in both formats.

"When you walk into a store and see all this product available in Blu-ray and there is less available on HD DVD, I think the consumer gets that," Smith said.

The rollout of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 game console, which comes standard with a Blu-ray drive, also helped give the format momentum, Smith said.

Blockbuster's decision, while significant on it's own, could boost Blu-ray even more if other retailers follow suit.

This is a big feather in Blu-Ray's cap. Rental outlets like Blockbuster are still pretty significant market movers.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:26 pm

theclefe wrote:http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_513097.html

AP wrote:LOS ANGELES (AP) — Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format.

The move, being announced Monday, could be the first step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.

"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbuster, told The Associated Press.

Blockbuster will continue to rent HD DVD titles in the original 250 locations and online, the Dallas-based company said.

The decision was helped in large part by the lopsided availability of titles in Blu-ray, Smith said. All major studios except one are releasing films in Blu-ray, with several, including The Walt Disney Co., releasing exclusively in Blu-ray. Only Universal Studios, which is owned by General Electric Co., exclusively supports HD DVD.

Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc., and Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom Inc., release films in both formats.

"When you walk into a store and see all this product available in Blu-ray and there is less available on HD DVD, I think the consumer gets that," Smith said.

The rollout of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 game console, which comes standard with a Blu-ray drive, also helped give the format momentum, Smith said.

Blockbuster's decision, while significant on it's own, could boost Blu-ray even more if other retailers follow suit.

This is a big feather in Blu-Ray's cap. Rental outlets like Blockbuster are still pretty significant market movers.

That is pretty big. Looks like BR will be leading the way in the early going. Who buys movies anymore? Rental is where the market is at.

Also, I rarely hear about HD DVDs compared to BR. This could potentially help PS3 sales as well. Maybe I'll get one for Xmas.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk