Blue Ray vs. HD DVD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 10:44 am

OK so I am probably going to ask for one of these bad boys for Christmas. I haven't actually seen the picture quality but I'm just going to assume that it is going to be mind blowing.

Does anyone know which one is better? What about the player that plays both?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 22, 2007 10:45 am

Yoda wrote:OK so I am probably going to ask for one of these bad boys for Christmas. I haven't actually seen the picture quality but I'm just going to assume that it is going to be mind blowing.

Wait it out dude; one of them will fall by the wayside, but it looks like BluRay is winning.

You still don't want to be one of those people who ended up with a worthless BetaMax
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Blue Ray vs. HD DVD

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 22, 2007 11:39 am

Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:OK so I am probably going to ask for one of these bad boys for Christmas. I haven't actually seen the picture quality but I'm just going to assume that it is going to be mind blowing.

Wait it out dude; one of them will fall by the wayside, but it looks like BluRay is winning.

You still don't want to be one of those people who ended up with a worthless BetaMax

Agreed and agreed....it does seem that Blue Ray has the lead though...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:41 am

From what I've ready about Blu-Ray it sounds like their "lead" has been padded extremely by the free movies they gave away with their PS3 launch. Each PS3 had a free movie in it, so when they say they have sold however many Blu-Ray movies, they're including the total they gave away to make it sound better.

I don't know which will win, but I think it's more even than Sony wants us to believe.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 22, 2007 11:44 am

slomo007 wrote:From what I've ready about Blu-Ray it sounds like their "lead" has been padded extremely by the free movies they gave away with their PS3 launch. Each PS3 had a free movie in it, so when they say they have sold however many Blu-Ray movies, they're including the total they gave away to make it sound better.

I don't know which will win, but I think it's more even than Sony wants us to believe.

I can see that too; it's definitely up in the air, but it depends on what movie studios go with and which is most compatible.

Don't be surprised if you start seeing HD-DVD/BluRay players at some point either.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 11:50 am

Coppermine wrote:
slomo007 wrote:From what I've ready about Blu-Ray it sounds like their "lead" has been padded extremely by the free movies they gave away with their PS3 launch. Each PS3 had a free movie in it, so when they say they have sold however many Blu-Ray movies, they're including the total they gave away to make it sound better.

I can see that too; it's definitely up in the air, but it depends on what movie studios go with and which is most compatible.

Don't be surprised if you start seeing HD-DVD/BluRay players at some point either.

I think they have a dual player already but it's pretty pricey. Just wondering if it is worth getting one this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 am

Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

I think they have a dual player already but it's pretty pricey. Just wondering if it is worth getting one this year.

By Christmas I think it will be decided. It's only been about 6 months since the PS3 launched. It will be pretty much decided in the Fall I'm guessing. :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 22, 2007 12:05 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

By Christmas I think it will be decided. It's only been about 6 months since the PS3 launched. It will be pretty much decided in the Fall I'm guessing. :-?

I think it will be much longer than that unless hybrid players become the norm. Currently there's only one hybrid player available from LG (as I found Googling) which has some significant drawbacks as a player itself.

The thing is, as much fun as it is to be an early adopter, it's almost never a sound financial decision. New electronics only get cheaper and better as time goes on and when there are competing formats, one is almost always the loser. I doubt it will be decided by Christmas, since there is only expected to be one other hybrid player on the market by then from Samsung.

Yeah, also, $1,300 for the player. That's not far from how much DVD players went for when they first came out.

Another interesting fact; DVD player ownership overtook VCR player ownership for the first time... in 2006.

I've read several articles about how HD-DVD actually has a better picture than Blu-Ray AND their players are considerably cheaper. But one thing that everyone agrees on is that this format war won't be decided soon.

It's also certainly not even worth considering unless you have a 1080p, HD television with a killer sound system.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ThatDude » Tue May 22, 2007 12:06 pm

I'd say Blu-Ray's advantage is coming from having 5 major movie studios exclusively producing Blu-Ray titles, and 2 others that are doing both versions. That's 7 of the 8 major studios using Blu-Ray, and that's putting more Blu-Ray discs on the shelves.

I think by this time next year this format war will be over, and Blu-Ray will be the winner.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fezzik » Tue May 22, 2007 12:34 pm

ThatDude wrote:

I'd say Blu-Ray's advantage is coming from having 5 major movie studios exclusively producing Blu-Ray titles, and 2 others that are doing both versions. That's 7 of the 8 major studios using Blu-Ray, and that's putting more Blu-Ray discs on the shelves.

I think by this time next year this format war will be over, and Blu-Ray will be the winner.

That sucks for me...I have an XBox 360 and was looking forward to getting the HD DVD accessory (which I think is a bargain at $200)...but if it loses the tech war, then it's pretty pointless. :,-(
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk