CLICK IT OR TICKET - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

CLICK IT OR TICKET

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:40 pm

My good reason for wearing a seatbelt is that at work (I investigate car accidents for an insurance company...) I saw an utterly GNARLY pic of an unseatbelted person who had split their forehead open when they bounced off the steering wheel.

Probably split about 2.5-3" at one end of the gash and about 6" long from the upper corner of their forhead down across into the eyebrow and then the other pics as they reconstructed their eyebrow surgically, as the tension from the impact and the wound and the healing process had pulled the eyebrow out of alignment as it healed.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 22, 2007 9:06 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:My good reason for wearing a seatbelt is that at work (I investigate car accidents for an insurance company...) I saw an utterly GNARLY pic of an unseatbelted person who had split their forehead open when they bounced off the steering wheel.

Probably split about 2.5-3" at one end of the gash and about 6" long from the upper corner of their forhead down across into the eyebrow and then the other pics as they reconstructed their eyebrow surgically, as the tension from the impact and the wound and the healing process had pulled the eyebrow out of alignment as it healed.

That's as good a reason as any. I never sit in any front seat without mine on, but not because it's illegal. I just feel safer strapped in.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby CadensDad » Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 pm

I see both sides, to me once you reach driving age it should be your choice.

My freind went to Florida on spring break, she had on her seatbelt when the guy driving was ran off the road, he flipped his SUV 3 times and landed upside down in a small drainage ditch, problem was she was in the passenger seat and was stuck in the water for nearly 10 minutes, she suffered some serious breathing problems because of the seatbelt not being able to get out of it.

My cousin however back in the mid 90's got hit by a semi and he didnt have his seatbelt on. It flung him from his truck and then got hit by his own car when it went sideways, broke his back and both legs, was in a wheel chair for nearly 2 years.

I see both sides and understand both sides. but it's my choice and I think it should stay my choice

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:I have never thought very highly of the seatbelt law, so I guess that is why I never wear my seatbelt. I have never had a ticket for it, but I don't even think a ticket would make me change my mind and start to wear my seatbelt.

See, now this is the one attitude I can't understand. Every statistic is quite clear on how effective seat belts are at preventing injury and death in a variety of accidents. It's seriously one of the easiest things you can do to prolong your life, along with quitting smoking which isn't particularly easy. And, I think just about everyone can name someone they knew who died in a car accident as a direct result of not wearing a seatbelt.

I can understand not liking the law and I agree it should be a personal choice, but I can't understand putting your life at risk just to spite it. I hate saying this too because I'm one of those people who hate it when someone goes around telling people to quit smoking.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 23, 2007 10:45 am

So while I'm against these laws and the ridiculous expense they incur upon the taxpayer to fund enforcement, I am very much 'pro' seat belts.

You didn't say it here but, for those that say that the cops should be pursuing more serious crimes rather than wasting time on this stuff, I don't think that is the case. I can only speak for my area but they're not doing this at the expense of enforcement of other crimes. It is usually done in low crime areas during the day.

I see both sides, to me once you reach driving age it should be your choice.

The driving age in my area is 17. No one at the age of 17, myself included when I was, is a good driver. Some better than others but no one is good.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Field » Wed May 23, 2007 11:42 am

Well in New Hampshire if you're over 18 you don't have to wear a seatbelt and there's no helmet law. So I guess we are standing by our "Live Free or Die" motto. I still see a lot of the click-it or ticket commercials when watching the Red Sox games, very annoying. I buckle up when I'm driving on the highway, but for short trips around the city when its hot out, I don't usually bother.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby TheRock » Wed May 23, 2007 11:49 am

Sick of the commercials :-P

Seatbelts are you friend, wear them. ;-D

But, there should be no law requiring you to do so. You are in no way infringing upon anyone else's rights by not buckling up, the government has no business requiring you to.

I think the cost control argument is a dangerous one. As others have mentioned, plenty of other behaviors are likely to increase your need for expensive medical care, we don't need to government passing laws aimed at keeping insurance premiums down, that's not what they do (or should do, they kinda think they do). What about skiing? That's apt to land you in a hospital. High school athletes get hurt all the time, should we outlaw those? People that don't exercise cost us plenty with all their problems later in life. And the most expensive population in terms of medical costs? Old people. Better pass a law against that.

One solution is to do what we do with smokers, tax tobacco products out the yingyang to 1) provide additional incentive to quit and 2) help recoup some of the costs of treating the morons' lung cancer. But really, I don't think we want to government playing any part at all. If it's an insurance issue, let insurance deal with it. How about a policy that says if you don't wear a seatbelt and are injured your insurance company can deny your claim? That's a little harsh, but maybe they cover far less. Smokers pay a higher premium for the very reasons we've been discussing.

A famous man I can't remember right now said there can be no freedom without the freedom to be stupid. So let people be stupid, but let there be consequences to their stupidity. Then people are free to choose. Not society's job to protect people from themselves.

<edit>Oh, and this one time, I was driving through Kentucky and got pulled over for speeding. Well, I knew the guy was going to ask for license and registration, right? So I fished my wallet out of my back pocket and found the registration and insurance card in the glove compartment. So when the guy gets up to my car I'm ready, but had of course taken my seatbelt off so I could get my wallet out of my pocket. A$$#%^& wrote me a ticket for not having it on.
</edit>
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to General Talk