Slowey Time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Slowey Time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pirates4Life » Mon May 28, 2007 3:09 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:ive been reading that Slowey has a fastball and thats about it?
fantasybaseballcafe right here top prospects has Slowey at #61 and says
Building off of a low 90s fastball, Slowey’s change-up and curveball balance out his repertoire.

are his change-up and curveball not major league pitches?

First off, his fastball PEAKS around 91, but is consistently in the 89-91 range.

Second, as I posted earlier in this thread, the Baseball America profile of him this year states that he throws approximately NINETY percent fastballs. He may have other pitches, but they aren't developed and he obviously doesn't use them very much.

I think the Twins are taking the correct approach with Garza. When he finally does get the call, he'll have had several months to work on and improve his secondary pitches, and with his heat, that's going to help to make him a tremendous pitcher.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Yoda wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
King Tim wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
King Tim wrote:
superslugger616 wrote:BRING UP GARZA AND HIS K POTENTIAL

He recently blasted the Twins front office about his performance in the spring, being sent down, and being forced to work on secondary stuff. I don't think we will see him for a while.

I can sympathize with some of what Garza said. The Twins reliance on veterans is infuriating at times and he certainly pitched well enough during Spring Training to earn a spot. But a lot of what he said was just out of line and I'm sure the Twins aren't going to take that lightly.

He did throw well last night and has lowered his ERA to 3.21. They're not ruling him out for Friday's start, but it appears Slowey is the heavy favorite. If anyone gets hurt or struggles badly Garza will be the next one to get the call.

Talent wise...Slowey can't hold Garza's jock. I understand the need to work on secondary stuff, but he feels he has been passed over because of it.

I agree. Garza's potential is worlds above Slowey's. Even without the great secondary stuff at this point Garza would have been a better option than Ponson or Ortiz, and I think that's what he is upset about.

It isn't really his decision though. Minnie has a solid track record of grooming their pitchers and Garza should not question them. They saw in him something last year that they didn't like and asked him to work on it. It's not just about winning the games now. They obviously would love to have Garza throwing every 5 days but if they feel that he has to work on his secondary pitches that will make him better then what is the problem? Garza is going to get called up soon anyway.

True. They have done very well with their young pitchers and protecting guys like Santana at the beginning of his career may have been the most beneficial for him. I don't doubt that the Twins know how to handle their arms and I feel they will do the same with Garza.

But from Garza's vantage point, seeing how long it took for them to put Liriano in the rotation and how that helped turn the season around, it must be frustrating. Garza is no Liriano and I'm not saying he is right to blow up like that, but I can see where he is coming from to a point.

At the same time, Liriano and Santana were much more polished than Garza when inserted into the rotation. Garza was in control of his own destiny in 2006. He didn't do well with the chance given and they asked him to work on his craft. Even though he is pitching well right now, he also didn't start off great like Slowey did. He is in no place to complain. Plus how does it make him look when one of his teammates, a fellow rookie prospect, gets his first shot at MLB and he is sitting there complaining?

It does not look good at all, and I would prefer he just kept his mouth shut and instead congratulated Slowey who has earned his shot by dominating at AAA. He certainly wasn't as polished as either Santana or Liriano and they were both much better prospects.

I don't think he is comparing himself as much to Santana or Liriano but rather to Ortiz and Ponson. Seeing them tank it in the rotation I'm sure makes him a little bitter about getting sent down to work on his stuff.

I'm firmly in the Twins corner on this one, but putting myself in Garza's shoes I think I would be a little frustrated as well, although I would hope I wouldn't be complaining to this degree.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby King Tim » Mon May 28, 2007 3:24 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
King Tim wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
King Tim wrote:
superslugger616 wrote:BRING UP GARZA AND HIS K POTENTIAL

He recently blasted the Twins front office about his performance in the spring, being sent down, and being forced to work on secondary stuff. I don't think we will see him for a while.

I can sympathize with some of what Garza said. The Twins reliance on veterans is infuriating at times and he certainly pitched well enough during Spring Training to earn a spot. But a lot of what he said was just out of line and I'm sure the Twins aren't going to take that lightly.

He did throw well last night and has lowered his ERA to 3.21. They're not ruling him out for Friday's start, but it appears Slowey is the heavy favorite. If anyone gets hurt or struggles badly Garza will be the next one to get the call.

Talent wise...Slowey can't hold Garza's jock. I understand the need to work on secondary stuff, but he feels he has been passed over because of it.

I agree. Garza's potential is worlds above Slowey's. Even without the great secondary stuff at this point Garza would have been a better option than Ponson or Ortiz, and I think that's what he is upset about.

It isn't really his decision though. Minnie has a solid track record of grooming their pitchers and Garza should not question them. They saw in him something last year that they didn't like and asked him to work on it. It's not just about winning the games now. They obviously would love to have Garza throwing every 5 days but if they feel that he has to work on his secondary pitches that will make him better then what is the problem? Garza is going to get called up soon anyway.

True. They have done very well with their young pitchers and protecting guys like Santana at the beginning of his career may have been the most beneficial for him. I don't doubt that the Twins know how to handle their arms and I feel they will do the same with Garza.

But from Garza's vantage point, seeing how long it took for them to put Liriano in the rotation and how that helped turn the season around, it must be frustrating. Garza is no Liriano and I'm not saying he is right to blow up like that, but I can see where he is coming from to a point.

At the same time, Liriano and Santana were much more polished than Garza when inserted into the rotation. Garza was in control of his own destiny in 2006. He didn't do well with the chance given and they asked him to work on his craft. Even though he is pitching well right now, he also didn't start off great like Slowey did. He is in no place to complain. Plus how does it make him look when one of his teammates, a fellow rookie prospect, gets his first shot at MLB and he is sitting there complaining?

It does not look good at all, and I would prefer he just kept his mouth shut and instead congratulated Slowey who has earned his shot by dominating at AAA. He certainly wasn't as polished as either Santana or Liriano and they were both much better prospects.

I don't think he is comparing himself as much to Santana or Liriano but rather to Ortiz and Ponson. Seeing them tank it in the rotation I'm sure makes him a little bitter about getting sent down to work on his stuff.

I'm firmly in the Twins corner on this one, but putting myself in Garza's shoes I think I would be a little frustrated as well, although I would hope I wouldn't be complaining to this degree.

for those who haven't seen the quotes
http://www.twincities.com/ci_5992669?source=most_viewed
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon May 28, 2007 3:25 pm

King Tim wrote:for those who haven't seen the quotes

He is one cocky SOB.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon May 28, 2007 3:29 pm

meh, picked up Slowey, will bench him and see how he does. I had pretty good luck with Twins pitching prospects in the past, we'll see how well this goes. I don't need him, but he's a good trade chip.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Yoda wrote:

He is one cocky SOB.

I hadn't seen the quotes at the bottom of the article before.

Like I said earlier, frustration I can understand, but a blatant disregard for the instruction from the organization is ridiculous. I hope with more time in the minors he can be humbled a bit and hone his stuff.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby superslugger616 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:36 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

He is one cocky SOB.

Like I said earlier, frustration I can understand, but a blatant disregard for the instruction from the organization is ridiculous. I hope with more time in the minors he can be humbled a bit and hone his stuff.

i agree...u have to do what the administration tells you to
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon May 28, 2007 3:41 pm

superslugger616 wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

He is one cocky SOB.

Well apparently Garza's reliance on his fastball is well documented. I don't understand what Garza is hoping to accomplish by publicly complaining about his bosses' decision. Just a really bad move on his part.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby King Tim » Mon May 28, 2007 3:44 pm

superslugger616 wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

He is one cocky SOB.

While I agree he is wrong, you gotta love a pitcher who thinks his stuff is the ****. Isn't every stud SP a cocky SOB? I like to see the fire, but don't call out the GM.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Mon May 28, 2007 3:44 pm

I think Garza might have changed the Twins minds about absolutely not trading him. The worst part about what he said was that he was not willing to work on his changeup. He will get killed in the majors long term without a decent changeup.

I've always thought (at least for the past couple years) that the Twins have too much pitching in their system and should trade the prospect that can bring them the most value. That was Garza but hopefully teams won't be turned off by this. I think they should trade Garza for a big bat and have every intention to resign that player they get since they would have had to use that money to sign Garza anyway. I'm thinking Adam Dunn.

As for Slowey, I think he'll have some really rough games. But, he'll put together better games than Ortiz. He'd have to put up 2-3 amazing games for me to pick him up in a 12 team keeper. He'll probably be going around 5 innings every game. That'll limit his wins and K's.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers