Pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching

Postby Cards5 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:52 pm

I know that much has been made of the Cubs and Astros Pitching staff (both have great starters). Granted the Cards don't have the staff like either the cubs or the Astros, but it isn't that bad is it?

Morris
Williams
Carpenter
Marquis
Suppan

I wonder how long before Adam Wainwright will be called up?

Their "O" should still be a threat with Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Renteria and Sanders

I heard that the Cards were looking at Travis Lee??? any thoughts?
Cards5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:12 pm

Cards5 wrote:I know that much has been made of the Cubs and Astros Pitching staff (both have great starters). Granted the Cards don't have the staff like either the cubs or the Astros, but it isn't that bad is it?

Morris
Williams
Carpenter
Marquis
Suppan

I wonder how long before Adam Wainwright will be called up?

Their "O" should still be a threat with Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Renteria and Sanders

Once you get past Mo and Woody, the starters stink. MR is also suspect. The only hope is that the O can get Iz some save ops!

I heard that the Cards were looking at Travis Lee??? any thoughts?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:21 am

I don't think bad is the best way to describe it. I would go with questionable. The problem is that Morris and Woody need to stay healthy. Otherwise Suppan is your #2 which is very bad. The rotation has potential to be good but a lot of things need to go right.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:24 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think bad is the best way to describe it. I would go with questionable. The problem is that Morris and Woody need to stay healthy. Otherwise Suppan is your #2 which is very bad. The rotation has potential to be good but a lot of things need to go right.

i agree. i think matt and woody will be fine but i dont really know what to expect out of suppan, carpenter, and marquis (and later in the year haren/wainwright). they are all questionable. suppan pitched well in the nl last season but has been mediocre pretty much his whole career. carpenter supposedly has a great curveball but hasnt pitched a game in over a year. marquis can supposedly bring the heat but couldnt pitch well in atlanta, a place where most people end up pitching their best.

there are a lot of question marks. if they play to their potential the cards will be fine but you cant really expect to roll the dice that many times and win on all of them.

the general consensus seems to be that wainright will start the season in AAA and stay there for most of the year unless there are some problems with the starting pitching in which case either he or haren will get the call.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby cards_fan_8537 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:16 pm

For all the troubles they had last year, they didn't do too bad I thought. They had an above average bullpen and with Izzy back they should be able to close out more close ones this year. :-?
cards_fan_8537
College Coach
College Coach

Return to St. Louis Cardinals