Brad Lidge - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brad Lidge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brad Lidge

Postby bigshoww82 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm

May 16 Jack Etkin, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Houston Astros RP Brad Lidge is beginning to return to his old form and feels as though it is only a matter of time before he is closing again. "I think the switch has been flipped. I'm in a different mind-set," said Lidge. "I'm in a very confident place right now. And I think that it will happen. My stuff's there and I'm doing what I've done in the past. So for me not to get back there - that's not even an option. I will be closing again at some point." In an eight-game stretch from Monday, April 23, to Wednesday, May 9, Lidge allowed just one run and two walks, while striking out 14 batters in nine innings.


i just dropped the struggling orlando hudson to pick up lidge (i figure hes valuable even as a nasty set up man to lower my ratios). im excited
bigshoww82
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 328
Joined: 2 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BOSTON

Postby Shock Wave » Mon May 21, 2007 9:47 pm

I think its pretty common knowledge that Lidge is still lurking in the background when it comes to the closer roll in Houston. Wheeler is getting the job done but if you own him and can afford to fill up a spot with Lidge I would certainly do it, just to be safe.
Shock Wave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 91
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CruiseJD » Mon May 21, 2007 10:44 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Lidge is wearing rose-colored glasses. What is hilarious is that the next day after that quote appeared, he gave up a game winning run in the 12th inning to the Giants.

Someone please explain why Wheeler should be pulled for Lidge? Look at each one's WHIP so far . . . 0.95 vs 1.52.

Would you want to have a closer with a WHIP of 1.52? I think Wheeler is the man, and it will take some serious blowups for him to lose the job.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 476
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SweetAurillia » Mon May 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Lidge blew that run because of a freak bounce, wasn't his fault. The reason why people should be questioning Wheeler is that even though he's saving games, he's given up ER's in his last couple of outings. Coupled with the fact that Garner loves Lidge, there's people (including myself) that believes Lidge will close again at some point this season. Whether he'll be able to hold on to the job after he gets it is another question however....
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 pm

So long as Wheeler is getting the job done in the 9th, they'd be crazy to upset the situation and put Lidge back in the closer's role. But obviously with Lidge looking strong the leash on Wheeler is shorter.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 3235
Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DbacksRback » Mon May 21, 2007 11:27 pm

CruiseJD wrote:I could be wrong, but I think Lidge is wearing rose-colored glasses. What is hilarious is that the next day after that quote appeared, he gave up a game winning run in the 12th inning to the Giants.

Someone please explain why Wheeler should be pulled for Lidge? Look at each one's WHIP so far . . . 0.95 vs 1.52.

Would you want to have a closer with a WHIP of 1.52? I think Wheeler is the man, and it will take some serious blowups for him to lose the job.


you cant go by the whip for the season because we all know lidge was terrible in the begining. Look over his stats for the last month and you'll see
these two stat lines:

Player A:
16.1 ip
1W/ 1L
24 k's
1.10 era
.92 whip

Player B:
13 ip
0w/ 0L
13 k's
2.77 era
.77 whip

I would like A to be the closer and thats lidge but...i own wheeler and just dropped billingsly for lidge. Just keep lidge in mind. thats all
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2878
(Past Year: 56)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Young 8 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:40 am

DbacksRback wrote:
CruiseJD wrote:I could be wrong, but I think Lidge is wearing rose-colored glasses. What is hilarious is that the next day after that quote appeared, he gave up a game winning run in the 12th inning to the Giants.

Someone please explain why Wheeler should be pulled for Lidge? Look at each one's WHIP so far . . . 0.95 vs 1.52.

Would you want to have a closer with a WHIP of 1.52? I think Wheeler is the man, and it will take some serious blowups for him to lose the job.


you cant go by the whip for the season because we all know lidge was terrible in the begining. Look over his stats for the last month and you'll see
these two stat lines:

Player A:
16.1 ip
1W/ 1L
24 k's
1.10 era
.92 whip

Player B:
13 ip
0w/ 0L
13 k's
2.77 era
.77 whip



pitching in the 7th innings is not like pitching in the 9th
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1324
Joined: 11 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uucrook3d » Tue May 22, 2007 7:38 am

Young 8 wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:
CruiseJD wrote:I could be wrong, but I think Lidge is wearing rose-colored glasses. What is hilarious is that the next day after that quote appeared, he gave up a game winning run in the 12th inning to the Giants.

Someone please explain why Wheeler should be pulled for Lidge? Look at each one's WHIP so far . . . 0.95 vs 1.52.

Would you want to have a closer with a WHIP of 1.52? I think Wheeler is the man, and it will take some serious blowups for him to lose the job.


you cant go by the whip for the season because we all know lidge was terrible in the begining. Look over his stats for the last month and you'll see
these two stat lines:

Player A:
16.1 ip
1W/ 1L
24 k's
1.10 era
.92 whip

Player B:
13 ip
0w/ 0L
13 k's
2.77 era
.77 whip



pitching in the 7th innings is not like pitching in the 9th


and we all know you are so impartial when it comes to lidge. i think half of your posts have been bashing him ;-)

seriously though, i would put money on him being back in the closer role. just the nature of the phil garner beast
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1552
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ESPN Radio in Nashville

Postby Kuji » Tue May 22, 2007 8:56 am

Thank god I picked him up. Anyways, I was 99% sure the Astros would consider putting Lidge again as a closer, but he has been rather good as a reliever. And, of course, it's all good when he can lower your ERA
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 761
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue May 22, 2007 9:15 am

... Let's not get too worked up here, folks - Brad Lidge has lost the closer's job not once, but twice. It's not like he's a lock to be effective if/when he does return to that role.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2850
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact