Why is everyone negative when it comes to Sosa? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is everyone negative when it comes to Sosa?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is everyone negative when it comes to Sosa?

Postby jcde7ago » Mon May 21, 2007 6:07 pm

This is just from a pure FANTASY standpoint, no ethics/morals involved :-b

Why is it that everytime i go in the Draft/Waiver forum and see people asking about whether or not to pick up Sosa, the most common answer seems to be, "avoid Sosa like the plague that he is."

I don't get it! What does the guy have to do to get a little respect and get into some fantasy lineups? I have been starting Sosa over Abreu's miserable slump and i have to say iam extremely happy with the way he's been performing. Nobody expects miracles from the guy, but the "poor man's Adam Dunn" analogy couldnt be more accurate.

Who doesn't want a guy who has 30-35 homers and 100 RBI well within reach already?

I just find it ridiculous how people would jump all over Hamilton and, although he has tremendous talent he still lacks experience. And here we have Sosa, who hit 50 or more home runs for 4 straight season at one point. So i just wanna ask...why all the hate for a guy you can get for next to nothing, especially when you know what you're gonna get out of him at this point? (low average, decent/above average power numbers/rbi's). Iam just sick of people telling me (with authority at that) to dump him everytime they see him in my lineup, as if iam stupid and that he's completely useless...
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 21, 2007 6:14 pm

The 2005 season put a bad taste in a lot of fantasy managers mouths.

I had Sosa as a low risk, high reward candidate, so I was never one to dismiss the idea of others picking him up as a backup outfielder option. If these people are telling you do drop him or leave him out of your lineup, they are just silly.
Over the last month he's had five home runs and 21 RBI, while batting .290. Not too shabby for a guy you probably picked up off the waiver wire before the season started.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon May 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Not understanding the hate either.Have had Sammy for a few weeks now and I am very happy.This said, if you can cash him indeed do so but no reason why he shouldn't be in your lineup.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon May 21, 2007 6:46 pm

I think he rubbed people the wrong way. The corked bat incident and his attitude towards the end of his career in Chicago... Not to mention his incredibly sharp decline in skills and performance.

He's rosterable still but his bat slowed down a lot. He's still chasing pitches that 5 years ago he would have parked out of the stadium.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Simulacrum » Mon May 21, 2007 6:59 pm

Several reasons.

Fantasy managers have short memories, and are quick to dismiss a player as "done". When he failed to impress in Baltimore a lot of people stuck a fork in him.

Also (in my own opinion) Sammy's just not a likable guy. The 'roid allegations, the crummy testimony, the corked bat, walking out on the Cubs etc.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Re: Why is everyone negative when it comes to Sosa?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon May 21, 2007 9:06 pm

jcde7ago wrote:This is just from a pure FANTASY standpoint, no ethics/morals involved :-b

Why is it that everytime i go in the Draft/Waiver forum and see people asking about whether or not to pick up Sosa, the most common answer seems to be, "avoid Sosa like the plague that he is."

I don't get it! What does the guy have to do to get a little respect and get into some fantasy lineups? I have been starting Sosa over Abreu's miserable slump and i have to say iam extremely happy with the way he's been performing. Nobody expects miracles from the guy, but the "poor man's Adam Dunn" analogy couldnt be more accurate.

Who doesn't want a guy who has 30-35 homers and 100 RBI well within reach already?

I just find it ridiculous how people would jump all over Hamilton and, although he has tremendous talent he still lacks experience. And here we have Sosa, who hit 50 or more home runs for 4 straight season at one point. So i just wanna ask...why all the hate for a guy you can get for next to nothing, especially when you know what you're gonna get out of him at this point? (low average, decent/above average power numbers/rbi's). Iam just sick of people telling me (with authority at that) to dump him everytime they see him in my lineup, as if iam stupid and that he's completely useless...

i hear ya. i picked up both sosa and hamilton early in the season. i had too many OFs so i had to trade one away, and people were more interested in hamilton and i was able to sell him at his high point while still keeping sosa. now it seems like sosa will end up with better numbers since hamilton has struggled badly as of late.

i do notice there seems to be a lot of buying into over hype among unproven (mlb) young kids that some cafe people suffer from. sure, the cafe is very knowledgable, but sometimes it backfires like it did with guys like gordon and butler. a healthy balance is what we need, and we should always underestimate unless he has proven it for a year or two.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm

I am annoyed I didn't grab Sosa, given his utterly discounted price and reasonable upside. I think that he looks like he's enjoying himself and, barring a sneezing back attack or corked wazoo, he appears likely to provide return well over the cost.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Cards07Champs » Mon May 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Watch him play and ask the question again.

He's a guess hitter that cheats on every pitch. He starts his bat way too early so he can get around on fastballs and he tries to pull everything. He doesn't keep his head in and couldn't pull his hands in to fight off a good pitch to save his soul.

The AL hasn't seen him and hasn't started breaking him in with hard stuff then finishing him off with stuff outside the zone and outside. He has gaping holes in his swing that will be exploited and will be exploited soon.

No personal vendettas, no concern over his past, just a pure analysis. The guy is a latter day Ron Gant and with guys like Reggie Willits likely available in most leagues, There are better options than Sammy Sosa.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joecahill » Mon May 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:The AL hasn't seen him and hasn't started breaking him in with hard stuff then finishing him off with stuff outside the zone and outside. He has gaping holes in his swing that will be exploited and will be exploited soon.

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but Baltimore still plays in the AL, right?
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cards07Champs » Mon May 21, 2007 10:58 pm

joecahill wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:The AL hasn't seen him and hasn't started breaking him in with hard stuff then finishing him off with stuff outside the zone and outside. He has gaping holes in his swing that will be exploited and will be exploited soon.

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but Baltimore still plays in the AL, right?

He played 1/2 a season there before injuries and attitude got him a spot on the pine.

You really think that counts as being exposed to the AL?

If you want him, he's all yours, just don't be surprised when he tanks. Guess hitters with slider speed bats and a hacker's mentality don't succeed for long.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers