Worst Baseball Accidents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst Baseball Accidents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:33 pm

Padres hurler Adam Eaton just wanted to kick back and watch a movie. Little did he realize, a few hours later, he'd star in his own thriller at the local emergency room.

Eaton accidentally stabbed himself in the stomach with a paring knife while trying to unwrap a DVD a few years ago.

Eaton described the move as "boneheaded." In in his defence, those fussy plastic wrappers are tricky to bust into. But talk about coming in with the heavy artillery.

Or

Steve Sparks
This injury falls under the "don't try this at home" category.

Sparks, a well-travelled knuckleballer, once attended a motivational speaking seminar hosted by the Brewers. The group ripped phone books in half and blew up hot water bottles.

Sparks was apparently fired up by the session, so much so that he tried to tear a phone book of his own. Bad idea.

The right-hander dislocated his shoulder while performing the stunt.

or

Legend has it former slugger Kevin Mitchell suffered a couple of the strangest food-related injuries in baseball history.

On one occasion, Mitchell was placed on the disabled list after apparently straining rib muscles while vomiting. And, according to ESPN.com, Mitchell was four days late for 1990 spring training when he was hurt eating a microwaved donut.

Soon after eating the sweet delicacy, Mitchell – so the story goes – needed a root canal.

or

Boggs was a master at stroking hits and winning batting titles. But on at least one occasion, he should've skipped batting practice in favour of footwear instruction.

The soon-to-be Hall of Famer once strained his back while slipping on a pair of cowboy boots.

The ailment kept Boggs out of the lineup for seven games.

But the best one has to be the Glenallen Hill one. Here is a link for anyone who wants to read some other ones.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun May 20, 2007 11:41 pm

the chris hanson one was vicious! how stupid is it to have an axe in the locker room to begin with though?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun May 20, 2007 11:59 pm

I remember Ricky Henderson missing few games because of frost bite he got when he slept on a ice pack.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby brock middlebrook » Mon May 21, 2007 7:21 am

As far as tragic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Olin

The boating accident with Tim Crews and Steve Olin is one of the saddest.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jnormy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:18 am

Two classics, the first one funny and the second definitely not funny:

March 2, 2002, SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- San Francisco Giants second baseman Jeff Kent broke a bone in his left wrist while washing his truck and will miss 4-to-6 weeks.

Kent, the 2000 NL MVP, revealed the injury to Giants trainer Stan Conte on Saturday morning after swelling and soreness set in overnight.

Kent, who owns a white pick up with 4-inch lifts, was at a self-serve car wash in Scottsdale when he hurt himself Friday evening. He slipped and broke the vancular bone when he tried to break his fall.

"I was straddling the back of my truck when I slipped and fell," said Kent. "I didn't think much of it at the time and finished washing my truck. It started swelling up during the night and got really sore."

Dodger catcher Steve Yeager
In 1976, Yeager was injured when a piece of Bill Russell's bat shattered and hit him in the neck as he was waiting on deck, piercing his esophagus. He had nine pieces of wood taken out of his neck in 98 minutes of surgery.

Yeager later invented the catcher's throat protector flap that hangs from the catcher's mask, which he began wearing after the life-threatening incident.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 21, 2007 10:16 am

I remember when this happened:

File this one under strange but true baseball stories. The Yankees were losing 13-1 in Oakland on May 26th, 1985 so backup outfielder Henry Cotto decided it was a good time to clean his ears. Obviously his mother never told him that sticking a q-tip in your ear is a bad idea … especially in a baseball dugout.

Ken Griffey Sr. accidentally bumped Cotto’s arm and… boom… a punctured eardrum. Cotto was out of action until September. It was the most bizarre injury to a New York baseball player since Giant Freddie Fitzsimmons flattened his own fingers underneath the rocking chair he was sitting in back in 1927 although Cotto would be supplanted in 1988 when Met Bobby Ojeda clipped off his fingertip along with a hedge.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon May 21, 2007 10:27 am

jcde7ago wrote:Well i don't know if this counts as an "accident" necessarily, but when Craig Monroe was hit in the crotch by a pitch, i nearly died laughing after watching the vid...

http://www.arcadehit.com/play-6918-Base ... rotch.html

Notice the loud "POP!" sound right after he's hit, and then his reaction. I can't even imagine the excruciating pain he had to go through, but boy did i have more respect for Monroe after taking that pitch :-b

Ouch.

Priceless :-D
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jnormy » Mon May 21, 2007 10:35 am

bronxxbomber wrote:
jcde7ago wrote:Well i don't know if this counts as an "accident" necessarily, but when Craig Monroe was hit in the crotch by a pitch, i nearly died laughing after watching the vid...

http://www.arcadehit.com/play-6918-Base ... rotch.html

Notice the loud "POP!" sound right after he's hit, and then his reaction. I can't even imagine the excruciating pain he had to go through, but boy did i have more respect for Monroe after taking that pitch :-b

Ouch.

Priceless :-D

And the count is two balls and one strike... :-b
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby sixer03fan » Mon May 21, 2007 11:57 am

what about that poor bird that exploded when it met up with randy johnson's fastball??
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 21, 2007 12:55 pm

"JD Drew jumped in the dugout yesterday after BP and hit his head on the ceiling, giving himself a cut so deep he had to go to the hospital."

http://bobohilario.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_archive.html

And I believe that there was also an incident where he dived into a pond while fishing or something?

:-?
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers