Dempster - Possible Starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Dempster - Possible Starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 21, 2007 12:44 pm

As a Cubs fan that watched Dempster as a starter I can assure you that they're joking.

Well, what I mean to say is that Dempster in the rotation IS a joke so whether they mean it or not is a non-issue since it would be a joke either way.

Honestly, with Lou you've got to roll with the punches when it comes to closers. He's from the Ozzie Guillen school of closer management. :-b
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby divelaw71 » Mon May 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Really, who knows what Lou will do? That game Friday was awful, but toss that out and Demp had numbers as good as anyone out there. I doubt he will lose the gig unless he pitches his way out of it.
"Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder"

"These go to 11".
divelaw71
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby STLCards16 » Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 pm

In the case that they do take Dempster out of the closer posistion, who will become the new closer?
STLCards16
College Coach
College Coach

Postby STLCards16 » Mon May 21, 2007 4:17 pm

WOOHOO! ;-D :-)

May 21 Updating a previous report, the Associated Press reports Chicago Cubs CL Ryan Dempster will not move into the starting rotation and instead will remain as the team's closer. The team said they wanted to keep Dempster as a reliever because of the experience he provides in the bullpen.
:-D
STLCards16
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 pm

now i heard it was Marmol not Angel...and it looked like it was true at the mid-to-end of last week...Marmol was thrown in the game in the 9th inning of a couple games (non-save ops.) but still gave him a shot to see how he would do...i wouldn't totally rule out Dumpster moving to the rotation Marmol or Angel would both be decent options, i know Dump has expierence, but come on Lou is going to say or do anything to keep his plans secret until it happens...maybe strengthening up the bullpen, waiting for Wood? there are alot of possibilities in ChiTown...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Crystalstorm » Mon May 21, 2007 6:14 pm

If Lou is playing games it could costs me BIG $$$$$$ I'm in a 12 Team League,at $500.00 a team.Thats 6 GRAND he's messing with !!!!!

1st place gets $4,500.00 in my League.Dempster is 1 of my closers.I'm getting PO !!!!! Dempster SUCKED AS A STARTER !!!!!!! No way he goes back into the rotation,or I'll be hunting down Lou !+) !+) !+) !+) !!!!
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quitesanemax » Tue May 22, 2007 8:25 am

Dump really did suck as a starter a few years ago... not sure it would be a smart move... but I have often questioned Lou's moves in the past, so that doesn't mean he won't do it.

His decision has been made for him, though. I'm sure Lou is all worried now that he knows Crystalstorm will be hunting him down. Lol.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nolanwood » Tue May 22, 2007 11:13 am

Dumpster has been a solid closer this year, and if they turn him into a starter he'll be absolutely worthless.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IscartissueI » Tue May 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Guzman to close acording to KFFL

May 22 Updating a previous report, Paul Sullivan, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Cubs RP Ryan Dempster is now supposed to prepare RP Angel Guzman to take over his role as closer.
IscartissueI
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Detro76 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:14 am

It looks like this is more of a long-term plan rather than a short-term one as far as when the Cubbies will make the switch (from MLB.com):

"I talked to Ryan about starting, and he enjoys that," Piniella said. "It's really what he wants to do. At this time, he can help this ballclub a lot more [as the closer]. He's done a nice job out of the bullpen. He can help Guzman get acclimated a little bit. He can learn from [Dempster]. At the same time, down the road we can look at the possibility. Down the road."

"We've got some figuring out to do," Piniella said. "If Dempster has pitched two or three days in a row, and he needs a day off and we get in a close situation and this kid is throwing the ball well, give him a chance"

Sounds like Pinella still has a lot of confidence in Dempster, so who knows:

"I like guys who are successful," he said. "Everybody has their own style. The bottom line is getting the job done.

"I've had good closers. Dempster is a good closer."

I wish we had a better or more clear timeframe for what they are thinking, but I thought this may clear some things up.

Here's the linkage:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070522&content_id=1979786&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc
'Saw your wife last night. Great little dancer. That guy she was with? I'm sure he's a close personal friend, but tell me, what was he doing with her panties on his head?- Jake Taylor - Major League
Detro76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates