Dempster - Possible Starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Dempster - Possible Starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dempster - Possible Starter?

Postby Detro76 » Sun May 20, 2007 6:53 pm

I found this to be odd timing, if only because it seems like such a drastic change (even though Dempster used to be a starter) from closer to starter in midseason, but it also sounds like a lot of conjecture:

From Chicago.Cubs.MLB.com via KFFL and Yahoo -

May 20 Chicago Cubs CL Ryan Dempster could be moving into the starting rotation, according to Carrie Muskat of Chicago.Cubs.MLB.com. He is 9-for-10 this season in save opportunities, but the possibility of converting him into a starter came up after P Angel Guzman was shifted from the starting rotation to the bullpen. Dempster had made 162 career starts before he was named the full-time closer in 2005.

Linkage:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070520&content_id=1976000&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc
'Saw your wife last night. Great little dancer. That guy she was with? I'm sure he's a close personal friend, but tell me, what was he doing with her panties on his head?- Jake Taylor - Major League
Detro76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby akerr28 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:16 pm

That article makes it sound like Guzman would be next in line for saves if Dempster is moved to the rotation, but Yahoo is saying:

"May 20 Cubs manager Lou Piniella is considering making Marmol the closer and moving Ryan Dempster to the starting rotation, the Chicago Tribune reports."

Anybody have any thoughts or insights as to who would get the first chance at some saves?
akerr28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Detro76 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:20 pm

akerr28 wrote:That article makes it sound like Guzman would be next in line for saves if Dempster is moved to the rotation, but Yahoo is saying:

"May 20 Cubs manager Lou Piniella is considering making Marmol the closer and moving Ryan Dempster to the starting rotation, the Chicago Tribune reports."

Anybody have any thoughts or insights as to who would get the first chance at some saves?

Here's the blurb you were referring to for anyone interested:

Carlos Marmol: Potential Closer for Cubs

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Update: Cubs manager Lou Piniella is considering making Marmol the closer and moving Ryan Dempster to the starting rotation, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Recommendation: Marmol threw a scoreless ninth inning in Sunday's game in a non-save situation. Apparently this plan has been postponed a few days after Dempster pitched well on Friday. Piniella has said he has big changes for his pitching staff, but has been coy about details. This news may make picking up Marmol worth a shot in deep leagues, as it looks like he'll play a big role in the bullpen even if not moved to closer.
'Saw your wife last night. Great little dancer. That guy she was with? I'm sure he's a close personal friend, but tell me, what was he doing with her panties on his head?- Jake Taylor - Major League
Detro76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dweenmachine » Sun May 20, 2007 7:23 pm

akerr28 wrote:Anybody have any thoughts or insights as to who would get the first chance at some saves?

There's a closers thread that has good info... and usually the most current too. ;-D

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... start=3105
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby powenM » Sun May 20, 2007 7:45 pm

Come on Lou Pinella is just trying to shake up Dempster and the rest of the Cubs
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby STLCards16 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 pm

OMG, I just traded for Dempster in desperate need of saves!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :~(
:-t
STLCards16
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Sun May 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Guy I know in Chicago just said that Pinella and Dempster announced that they were "joking".

I wouldn't be trying to pull one over on me because neither of us own any of the players involved in the league we're in together.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Prooks25 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:Guy I know in Chicago just said that Pinella and Dempster announced that they were "joking".

I wouldn't be trying to pull one over on me because neither of us own any of the players involved in the league we're in together.

Why would they "Joke" about this. I'ts not very funny lol
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ShawshankVA » Sun May 20, 2007 9:13 pm

rotoworld reporting that Dempster announced to media he would be joining rotation....

then was called in for meeting with Lou & came back out and told media that he would actually be staying in the bullpen.

i highly doubt this is a joke...Lou is famous for these type of non-sensical moves just to shake up his teams.
ShawshankVA
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby soty » Sun May 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
Why would they "Joke" about this. I'ts not very funny lol
I agree.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert