Jeff Niemann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jeff Niemann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Mon May 21, 2007 6:43 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I think we see him in Tampa in another month or so. He has been pretty good so far in Durham this year. His control has been fairly good and his K rate is great. He has struggled a bit with runners on, but that should get turned around with a bit more experience. As far as projections, I think he could turn into a stud SP even in Tampa and the AL East. I honestly think he will be the ace of the Devil Rays staff as soon as next year over Kazmir and Shields.

Really? The ace of the staff over Kazmir? That is a bold statement.

Kaz needs to learn how to harness his talent as well. he needs to learn hwo to get out of innings without throwing so many pitches

Kaz is trying to strike out the world instead of picking his spots. I thin he'll settle down.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby killa3312 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I think we see him in Tampa in another month or so. He has been pretty good so far in Durham this year. His control has been fairly good and his K rate is great. He has struggled a bit with runners on, but that should get turned around with a bit more experience. As far as projections, I think he could turn into a stud SP even in Tampa and the AL East. I honestly think he will be the ace of the Devil Rays staff as soon as next year over Kazmir and Shields.

Not really bold at all, he has superior talent over Kazmir.

He did when he threw 96-99 MPH at Rice. Not anymore. I think people, Devil Rays fans in particular, forget just how good Kaz was last year before he was shut down.

Kaz's fastball is about as good as Niemann's, and he's a lefty, and his slider is probably slightly better than Niemann's as well, although it's close. Niemann will be a very good pitcher, but he hasn't exactly lit up AAA and he isn't as dominant as he once was at Rice.

Kaz was a 20 year old who came straight up from AA and pitched in the majors. You're really underestimating his talent here.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby High Heater » Mon May 21, 2007 8:06 pm

people keep nit picking about Niemanns current AAA right now (which isnt bad at all) and the season is hardly over half way for him. he came back strong last year and is looking at regaining form prior to his injury.

he's got as much potential as any other SP prospect in the minors including the 2 top guys that just got called up in Hughes and Lincecum.

he's going to be a really good pitcher in the majors, and is being undervalued right now, i see him as a good source of K's in the bigs too.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby killa3312 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 pm

High Heater wrote:people keep nit picking about Niemanns current AAA right now (which isnt bad at all) and the season is hardly over half way for him. he came back strong last year and is looking at regaining form prior to his injury.

he's got as much potential as any other SP prospect in the minors including the 2 top guys that just got called up in Hughes and Lincecum.

he's going to be a really good pitcher in the majors, and is being undervalued right now, i see him as a good source of K's in the bigs too.

Niemann has a big upside, but he's still got a long ways to get to Kazmir's 2006 level, or even his current level.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby High Heater » Mon May 21, 2007 9:12 pm

killa3312 wrote:
High Heater wrote:people keep nit picking about Niemanns current AAA right now (which isnt bad at all) and the season is hardly over half way for him. he came back strong last year and is looking at regaining form prior to his injury.

Niemann has a big upside, but he's still got a long ways to get to Kazmir's 2006 level, or even his current level.

i dont think its a long ways but yes he does have a lil ways to go yet.

i love Kaz but i do question his ways to work deep into ballgames.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue May 22, 2007 1:02 am

Yeah Kaz and his walks are a lil frustrating....
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 22, 2007 8:50 am

killa3312 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

He did when he threw 96-99 MPH at Rice. Not anymore. I think people, Devil Rays fans in particular, forget just how good Kaz was last year before he was shut down.

Kaz's fastball is about as good as Niemann's, and he's a lefty, and his slider is probably slightly better than Niemann's as well, although it's close. Niemann will be a very good pitcher, but he hasn't exactly lit up AAA and he isn't as dominant as he once was at Rice.

Kaz was a 20 year old who came straight up from AA and pitched in the majors. You're really underestimating his talent here.

Niemann should be the better player. Their two top pitches are about the same skill wise, but Niemann has the edge with other pitches and his control. I am definitely not underestimating Kazmir as he has the ability to be a great pitcher, but I think Niemann can be just a bit better. If you don't think so, that is fine, but then again you might want to make the trip to Durham and see Niemann just blow by some hitters with his late movement on his FB. I have seen Kazmir pitch many times and his pitches just do not have the same late movement.

Then again I have been wrong on prospects before, but I will still be shocked if Niemann is not the best pitcher on the Devil Rays team in 2008.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 9:46 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
killa3312 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

Niemann should be the better player. Their two top pitches are about the same skill wise, but Niemann has the edge with other pitches and his control. I am definitely not underestimating Kazmir as he has the ability to be a great pitcher, but I think Niemann can be just a bit better. If you don't think so, that is fine, but then again you might want to make the trip to Durham and see Niemann just blow by some hitters with his late movement on his FB. I have seen Kazmir pitch many times and his pitches just do not have the same late movement.

Then again I have been wrong on prospects before, but I will still be shocked if Niemann is not the best pitcher on the Devil Rays team in 2008.

Kaz has one of the best sliders in the game so I'm not sure that Niemann has better stuff. Plus Kaz is a lefty to boot. Both have injury concerns and without seeing what Niemann can do with MLB bats, I'd have to rank Kaz higher.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 22, 2007 12:11 pm

Yoda wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
killa3312 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

Kaz has one of the best sliders in the game so I'm not sure that Niemann has better stuff. Plus Kaz is a lefty to boot. Both have injury concerns and without seeing what Niemann can do with MLB bats, I'd have to rank Kaz higher.

Have you ever even seen Niemann pitch?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 12:28 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
killa3312 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:

Have you ever even seen Niemann pitch?

No I guess I should.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball