Thinking about dropping Abreu. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Thinking about dropping Abreu.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SendHelp » Fri May 18, 2007 2:26 pm

it's getting ugly for abreu, but even if this slump lasts another month i still think he'll finish with 100/100 and 30-SBs. hold him.
SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deutschland » Fri May 18, 2007 3:04 pm

i just traded him for michael young. he still has the name so someone should give you comparable "value" based on where he was drafted.

but yes, i would definitely sell him.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 pm

deutschland wrote:i just traded him for michael young. he still has the name so someone should give you comparable "value" based on where he was drafted.

Yeah, but Abreu for Young is exchanging 2 slumping "buy-low" guys. That trade might be as much a knock off Young's value than validation of Abreu's. If you needed a SS more than an OF, could be a good trade for you. I think both guys wake up.

I have Abreu on my team and its frustrating (my team that looked loaded is getting mashed in AVG and OPS every week). He's too good to drop or sell way short. Maybe swapping in a hot bench hitter until he's proven to snap out of it is the way to go. Like suspected for Pujols, maybe there's an injury we just don't know about. Abreu's career was just too consistent. Yeah, the power has fallen off, but even with 10-15 HRs he's a valuable hitter.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby deutschland » Fri May 18, 2007 6:11 pm

schmidty wrote:
deutschland wrote:i just traded him for michael young. he still has the name so someone should give you comparable "value" based on where he was drafted.

Yeah, but Abreu for Young is exchanging 2 slumping "buy-low" guys. That trade might be as much a knock off Young's value than validation of Abreu's. If you needed a SS more than an OF, could be a good trade for you. I think both guys wake up.

I have Abreu on my team and its frustrating (my team that looked loaded is getting mashed in AVG and OPS every week). He's too good to drop or sell way short. Maybe swapping in a hot bench hitter until he's proven to snap out of it is the way to go. Like suspected for Pujols, maybe there's an injury we just don't know about. Abreu's career was just too consistent. Yeah, the power has fallen off, but even with 10-15 HRs he's a valuable hitter.

I'm less concerned with Young's slow start than I am with Abreu's. Young's numbers are fine despite the low average. I've watched a bunch of Abreu's at bats this year and he looks absolutely horrible. The power is definitely gone, that's for sure. True, he could still turn in a solid season in terms of runs and rbis but to me it looks like something is wrong. Could be that his oblique is bothering him. I'm guessing he is covering up an injury and used my intuition on a safer buy-low in Young. Just my opinion on Abreu and I guess we'll have to wait and see.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SweetAurillia » Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Not in the lineup today.
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby soty » Fri May 18, 2007 9:04 pm

SweetAurillia wrote:Not in the lineup today.
Yeah I kind of expected that. I figured they would give him a day off soon to "clear his mind." I wouldnt worry too much.

Right after I typed this I saw this on Rotoworld:

Bobby Abreu is getting his first day off of the season Friday against the Mets.
With no Abreu and no DH, the Yankees have Alex Rodriguez in the third spot in the order for the first time. Jorge Posada is batting cleanup ahead of Hideki Matsui and Melky Cabrera, who is getting the nod in right.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates