Why so active - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Why so active

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Why so active

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 18, 2007 10:01 am

Why is this forum hopping? The D-Rays are still in last place and the last I checked you still don't have any pitchers - so what makes you guys so chatty?
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Why so active

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:09 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Why is this forum hopping? The D-Rays are still in last place and the last I checked you still don't have any pitchers - so what makes you guys so chatty?


so you must not have heard of Scott Kazmir or James Shields. Maybe Al Reyes.

Its exciting baseball even when we have pitching outingx. We are in last by half a game behind the Yanks. Its a great time in Tampa, people are excited by what we are seeing
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Why so active

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 18, 2007 10:15 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Why is this forum hopping? The D-Rays are still in last place and the last I checked you still don't have any pitchers - so what makes you guys so chatty?


so you must not have heard of Scott Kazmir or James Shields. Maybe Al Reyes.

Its exciting baseball even when we have pitching outingx. We are in last by half a game behind the Yanks. Its a great time in Tampa, people are excited by what we are seeing


Are people actually going to the Trop now? The one time that I was there (about 5 yrs or so ago) there were probably fewer than 10,000 there and there is something about it that made it look really cavernous (I guess all indoor parks are like that) and when I see the Jays on TV when they are there it still looks like attendance isn't good.

I also saw the Sarasota Red Sox on that trip and their stadium had more spirit than the Trop. They are young and exciting - I would go and see them. It's just that it's Florida, they should be playing outside dammit.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Why so active

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:23 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Why is this forum hopping? The D-Rays are still in last place and the last I checked you still don't have any pitchers - so what makes you guys so chatty?


so you must not have heard of Scott Kazmir or James Shields. Maybe Al Reyes.

Its exciting baseball even when we have pitching outingx. We are in last by half a game behind the Yanks. Its a great time in Tampa, people are excited by what we are seeing


Are people actually going to the Trop now? The one time that I was there (about 5 yrs or so ago) there were probably fewer than 10,000 there and there is something about it that made it look really cavernous (I guess all indoor parks are like that) and when I see the Jays on TV when they are there it still looks like attendance isn't good.

I also saw the Sarasota Red Sox on that trip and their stadium had more spirit than the Trop. They are young and exciting - I would go and see them. It's just that it's Florida, they should be playing outside dammit.


After June it is too hot to watch Baseball outside for most people, plus we have horrible T-Storms that starts at 4:30 EVERYDAY
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Why so active

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri May 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Why is this forum hopping? The D-Rays are still in last place and the last I checked you still don't have any pitchers - so what makes you guys so chatty?



Not quite last place, actually tied for 3rd.



Boston Red Sox 28 12 .700 --
New York Yankees 18 21 .462 9.5
Tampa Bay Devil Rays 18 22 .450 10.0
Toronto Blue Jays 18 22 .450 10.0
Baltimore Orioles 18 23 .439 10.5


Why shouldn't this forum be hopping? The Devil Rays have one of the 3 best minor league systems in baseball with young guys like Upton, Kazmir, Young, Baldelli, Shields, Dukes, and a few others showing big time potential in the bigs right now. Honestly right now I think there are two things keeping us from becoming big time contenders. 1. If the young talented group of arms in the minors can fix our pitching, there is enough talent around to make a serious run at the AL East title in 09 and maybe even 08. 2. We have to make a decision on the outfield between Dukes, Young, Baldelli, Upton, and Crawford and make a trade that brings us either a big time first basemen or SP in return.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Re: Why so active

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 18, 2007 8:22 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Why is this forum hopping? The D-Rays are still in last place and the last I checked you still don't have any pitchers - so what makes you guys so chatty?


so you must not have heard of Scott Kazmir or James Shields. Maybe Al Reyes.

Its exciting baseball even when we have pitching outingx. We are in last by half a game behind the Yanks. Its a great time in Tampa, people are excited by what we are seeing


Are people actually going to the Trop now? The one time that I was there (about 5 yrs or so ago) there were probably fewer than 10,000 there and there is something about it that made it look really cavernous (I guess all indoor parks are like that) and when I see the Jays on TV when they are there it still looks like attendance isn't good.

I also saw the Sarasota Red Sox on that trip and their stadium had more spirit than the Trop. They are young and exciting - I would go and see them. It's just that it's Florida, they should be playing outside dammit.


After June it is too hot to watch Baseball outside for most people, plus we have horrible T-Storms that starts at 4:30 EVERYDAY


meh, maybe but it sure works for Sarasota. Ever been to their park. Lots of fun.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Why so active

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 18, 2007 8:23 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:Why shouldn't this forum be hopping? The Devil Rays have one of the 3 best minor league systems in baseball with young guys like Upton, Kazmir, Young, Baldelli, Shields, Dukes, and a few others showing big time potential in the bigs right now. Honestly right now I think there are two things keeping us from becoming big time contenders. 1. If the young talented group of arms in the minors can fix our pitching, there is enough talent around to make a serious run at the AL East title in 09 and maybe even 08. 2. We have to make a decision on the outfield between Dukes, Young, Baldelli, Upton, and Crawford and make a trade that brings us either a big time first basemen or SP in return.


It is a very exciting team. I wish the Jays had half of that talent.

I would add a third thing to your list though. Management. They've screwed up top notch prospects many times before and have shown a terrific ineptitude for spotting and developing pitching.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Why so active

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat May 19, 2007 10:16 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Why shouldn't this forum be hopping? The Devil Rays have one of the 3 best minor league systems in baseball with young guys like Upton, Kazmir, Young, Baldelli, Shields, Dukes, and a few others showing big time potential in the bigs right now. Honestly right now I think there are two things keeping us from becoming big time contenders. 1. If the young talented group of arms in the minors can fix our pitching, there is enough talent around to make a serious run at the AL East title in 09 and maybe even 08. 2. We have to make a decision on the outfield between Dukes, Young, Baldelli, Upton, and Crawford and make a trade that brings us either a big time first basemen or SP in return.


It is a very exciting team. I wish the Jays had half of that talent.

I would add a third thing to your list though. Management. They've screwed up top notch prospects many times before and have shown a terrific ineptitude for spotting and developing pitching.




All of that has been with the old regime. I know quite a few people complained about how Upton and Young were handled last year in the first year of the new regime, but honestly Young was not ready to handle the rigors of the big leagues, and Upton needed to grow mentally just a bit as well. Just because Pujols, Mcab, and Andruw were able to play in the bigs at the age of 20 and 21 doesn't mean all top notch prospects are mentally tough enough to handle the transition. I love our new front office as they have so far stood behind everything they have said in the past. They don't rush the prospects no matter how big the need is in Tampa. They have repeatedly said a player needed 200 innings pitched between AA and AAA to become a MLB player, and they have stood by that. The same with a few of the Tampa press calling for Longoria to be called up now, no matter how good he is right now, he is still not quite MLB ready just yet.

As far as Maddon, I am not completely sold on him just yet. I think he is a good manager for the team right now, but I don't know if he is the manager we need for future AL East championship runs. He seems like a heckuva nice guy, so I hope he can handle the job and pulls a Bobby Cox and stays here for the next 20 years.

As far as the pitching, it has definitely been terrible over the past 10 years, but the future of our pitching is possibly brighter then our offense. We have without a doubt the best pitching in the minors and the best thing is about 3 of them are a few months away from making it to the bigs. And then when you add the possible David Price signing, the Drays could have a legitimate big league staff as soon as next year with Kazmir, Niemann, Price, and Shields. That would be 3 A+ prospects and yes I know about TINSTAAPP, but that potential is huge.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby BooksRnot4U » Mon May 21, 2007 11:03 am

And then Sonanstine, Talbot, Townsend also all have futures for pitching as well
Image

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 419
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, FL

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 am

BooksRnot4U wrote:And then Sonanstine, Talbot, Townsend also all have futures for pitching as well



Very true, but I am hoping they fix our pen more then help out in the rotation.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact