Does anyone know a good restaurant to eat at? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Does anyone know a good restaurant to eat at?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 18, 2007 12:56 pm

Coppermine wrote:I just don't think people should limit themselves from eating an entire field of cuisine because they don't like a particular ingredient, or because olive oil gives you gas... of course, most all restaurants use olive oil to cook a lot of things.

I love Italian of course, and Mexican, Chinese, Japanese... there's a great German restaurant in Hagerstown I like to go to, and some awesome Indian places in Harrisburg. And you haven't lived until you have some real, Spanish tapas. A Lebanese restaurant recently opened and I can't wait to try it... I'm a big "kabob" fan.

My favorite though would have to be Thai.

Tapas are awesome. When visiting Spain, it's great to go on a tapas excursion around whatever town you're in and make a meal out of it. ;-D

There are some awesome kabob places in Hollywood and the valley as well, where you can get some fantastic shawerma, lamb chops, and rotisserie chicken. One of these Lebanese places makes some terrific chicken brown rice. From the sounds of things, it isn't very exciting, but man, that alone is great.

As for Chinese, I find that the best authentic restaurants are in the South Bay. Reasonably priced and generous portions. There are a few good buffets down there which are pretty authentic. You can get simple, cheap food in Chinatown as well, but for the most part, it's a pretty rugged part of town that's probably not as charming as say, San Francisco's.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cubsin2100 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:54 pm

Salute your Shorts was clearly the best of the Nick tv shows. I could go on and on about classic nick. Does anyone remember Danny Tamberelli? I saw him at Venice beach once. Apparently he works at a bagel shop in New Jersey now.

I am a vegetarian. I dont get much gas these days (except Italian).

If I could eat anything right now, it would be some sushi, that sounds good.

The Cubs just gave up the lead. Rats.
Cubsin2100
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Sat May 19, 2007 7:58 pm

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cubsin2100 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:49 pm

DONKEY LIPS!
Cubsin2100
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Tue May 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Cubsin2100 wrote:DONKEY LIPS!

Don't know if you saw it as it's now buried on the second page, but I did try to answer your original question in this thread.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 22, 2007 3:20 pm

"Donkey Lips" is an acceptable answer to any question
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue May 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Just to clarify I would kick ET's ass so fast and hard he wouldn't even know what hit him.

In-N-Out burgers are great even though I never eat crappy food.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cubsin2100 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 pm

Yoda wrote:Just to clarify I would kick ET's ass so fast and hard he wouldn't even know what hit him.

In-N-Out burgers are great even though I never eat crappy food.

Must we get into this arguement again...? Question: Does Yoda have a glowing finger? Clearly, he reigns supreme (pizzas are delicious)

I too stay away from crappy food.. my arteries thank me.
Cubsin2100
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wolffystyle » Wed May 23, 2007 10:50 pm

ironman wrote:Oooh Oooooh I can answer this! I was exiled-er I mean sent to a conference in Sioux City last month. We never really left the downtown area but I can say that if you head down E 4th St there are a whole slew of restaurants and bars to choose from. The only ones I ate at were the 4th St Sports Bar and a place called Sweet Fanny's.

Fanny's was good. You can get burgers and sandwiches or if you want something more they have steak and pasta. It's got a pub feel to it and it's decorated with WWII bomber motif which is kind of cool to look at.

4th St Sports bar has basic bar food and sandwiches. It's decent. The real draw there is that they have the DirecTV MLB package which means my butt was firmly planted on a barstool to watch the Cub games that weren't on the regular Sioux City cable system.

Driving from Sioux City to Des Moines just for food would be silly. It's at least a 3 hour drive. You're actually closer to Omaha and Sioux Falls, SD, but even then neither of those places are real close.

Hope that helps.

PS- Why are you going to Sioux City?

You're right...I think I ate there once. Overall, Iowa is one of my top 10 favorite states to eat in. Iowa has pretty good beef and lambchops. They also hae good produce...I think they are the nations largest supplier of zucchini outside of California, Wisconsin and Indiana. I think also that the lettuce there has to be shipped in. There is a small airport in sioux city. I dont know if you're flying in...but you said you had a car. Avoid the Starbucks at the airport. Get real homecooking food near E 4th St. Sioux city is mildly famous for their salami sandwiches. Outside of Lichtenstein, they make some of the best salami sandwiches, ever. This is from my own personal experiences though. I dont know if you knew that or not. Maybe you did and thats the reason youre going. Why are you going? Not much other than zucchini and familiar faces there. Anyway, I feel as if I am going on a james joyce-esque rant. Seriously though, enjoy Iowa. It's in my top 10 or 15 states. The only states that I havent been to are as follows:

Washington
Idaho
Wyoming
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Arizona
New Mexico
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
Rhode island
Connecticut
Delaware
West virginia
Maryland
North Carolina
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Alaska
and if you consider Oregon a state, not that one either.

But I've been to all the rest.
Hi my name is Derrek and I am afraid to tell you that I am better at fantasy baseball then I am at being fearless at admitting if I am good at fantasy baseball or not.
Wolffystyle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cubsin2100 » Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 pm

ironman wrote:
Cubsin2100 wrote:DONKEY LIPS!

Don't know if you saw it as it's now buried on the second page, but I did try to answer your original question in this thread.

I actually did see it, thanks! Fortunatley (or unfortunately, as the restaurants sounds scrumptilescient), my trip to Siox City was cancelled. I was supposed to meet my former RA from college (University of Nebraska, always in my heart) to talk about opening up a driving range out there... but he bailed on me. As you can tell, I am a bit anxious in my job, taxi driving doesnt have the glam that owning your own buisness does.

I must also ask, the Marmol signature? I a Cubs fan and watching David Wells hopefully get pounded as we speak. If I had to choose a relief pitcher from the Cubs to created a signature for, it would be Rocky Cherry. Why? Can you think of a better baseball player name?

Which leads me to my next question, what is the best "baseball player name" So far, my vote is for Rocky Cherry.
Cubsin2100
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk