Insomnia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Insomnia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Insomnia

Postby ayebatter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 am

navigrassor wrote:I recommend more physical activity.

Who are you really, Rip VanWinkle.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1361)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:37 pm

navigrassor wrote:I recommend more physical activity.

exercise spam?
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:45 pm

I've started some bad ass threads on these forums in my day.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I've started some bad ass threads on these forums in my day.

drunk spam?
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re:

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Ah, I like reading through old threads.

The Artful Dodger wrote:I've had times where it would take me a while to doze off on given nights (an hour at most) because the last few hours before heading off to bed, I was doing work on my laptop. Both the work and the fact that I have my eyes affixed to the screen for a good bit keeps my brain circulating various thoughts and it takes a while for my brain to slow down.

These days, I usually go to bed at 10:30 PM or 11:00 PM (when wrestling is on) and wake up at 5:30 AM (yeah, I know an ungodly time to wake up) to jog a few miles and hit the gym. I find myself quite tired when I wake up (a bit groggy), but find that once I run the first 1/2 mile, I'm pretty peppy thereafter, the adrenaline I suppose. So, throughout the day, I'm feeling relaxed and very alert, despite being a tad stressed (and on some days, teetering on the edge of burnout). This facilitates me to fall asleep earlier, but I find that 10-20 minutes of watching TV from a 12 foot distance in the dark right after I use the computer gets me ready to doze off.

This still happens to me, albeit less frequently. Usually go to bed past 11pm after a few hours of working and can't sleep for an hour because work is on the brain. Sometimes I still get back up and work some more if my best ideas come to me, but I've cut down on that considerably. Still, old habits die hard.

The Artful Dodger wrote:The tricky part for me is that I wake up early Saturday or Sunday to catch the soccer games at the pub, depending on how important the game is. The hardest part is getting up, but after a few pints in the morning, I think it's good enough for me to have the recommended 9-10 hour sleep on the night of. I don't nap or sleep in during the day.

Don't do this too much these days. I still wake early for the matches, just not at the local as much as I used to. A bit of an expensive habit and a full English breakfast each week isn't exactly healthy.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow. May of 2007 is when I responded to this thread. Since then my insomnia has not abated, and despite my own advise not to take drugs, I've gotten two different prescriptions for meds since then. The one I take now works great. When it starts working, I go to sleep. NOW. But it doesn't keep me asleep, and I can wake up pretty easily. My doctor told me to gauge my usage by what worked for me, but not to exceed six pills a night. I use half of one pill. I can't imagine the people who would need six. That's astounding.

So while I'm waiting for my pill to kick in I read. I've gone through 300+ novels since January, 2007. I've re-read nearly every novel I own in that time, and it's been pretty cool. Some great stuff, and it's all really fresh now. Plus it's interesting to read books you read as a child and basically catch all the stuff you missed because your life experience hadn't prepared you to get what they were about.

I'm going to have to restock this Christmas, though. I'm beginning to run low on reading material.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:33 pm

I haven't been able to sleep a minute (literally) without medication for over three years now. One time the insurance company screwed up my prescription and I stayed up for 50 hours because I couldn't fall asleep. My diet and exercise routines are just fine, melatonin doesn't work in the slightest, trying to establish a "regular sleep schedule" doesn't work, and I avoid caffeine...it just sucks. I haven't tried the glass of wine route because I don't drink alcohol for personal reasons, and I haven't tried weed because it's expensive in the Midwest, especially in the Chicago area.

Doctors can't figure it out, so I guess I just gotta ride this until it ends.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk