Teams in my league are streaming.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Teams in my league are streaming..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Teams in my league are streaming..

Postby KFresh » Wed May 16, 2007 10:43 pm

The comish has stated that since rules against it were not set before the season, streaming can continue.

How can I counter streaming?
KFresh
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrbo » Wed May 16, 2007 11:07 pm

- Use a max IP in addition to min IP
- Use weekly lineups
- Have a max amount of moves for the season
- Use negative categories like W-L and K/9

Obviously you cant make these changes till next year.

Or if you mean counter playing the streamer for this year. You might have an advantage. You can probably stream better with the help of Perlick/NHsportsfan/PWF threads in Who to Start ;-D
mrbo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RowdyRed » Fri May 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Yep, go out and stream yourself. If you don't like streaming, then there are other strategies. If it's H2H, sit back and make sure you are close to the playoffs heading into the final month. Then, grab the best pitchers that everyone is dropping, while dropping the ones that are clearly worse than theirs. Let them start streaming with your worse pitchers, while you are stealing their better ones. Then you will have a better pitching staff in the playoffs. I've used that strategy before, and it worked very well. Also, once you reach the finals, drop starters once they make their final start and pick up other ones. That's the time to stream to make sure you fend off the streamers.
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ABA316 » Sat May 19, 2007 2:09 pm

What he said. Bear in mind it's not so much you have to start the guy you add to counter the streamer, just keep him off the market from the others.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat May 19, 2007 4:33 pm

ABA316 wrote:What he said. Bear in mind it's not so much you have to start the guy you add to counter the streamer, just keep him off the market from the others.

No, actually that's not cool. Yahoo stipulates that you may only make roster moves with the intention of improving your own team or its standing within the league.

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.

2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.

3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).

4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

What you are talking about isn't called streaming, it's called "churning" and it's definitely frowned upon.

Realistically there's no way to police it, but it is poor etiquette and technically unfair play.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby ABA316 » Sun May 20, 2007 1:40 pm

True..I'm not saying I favor that idea either, but..I suppose the case could be made that by adding that player and therefore keeping him from the streamer you are trying to improve your standing by not letting them stream.

I am in my first H2H this year and I for the record do not use that strategy, but just an observation. 'Sides I've always looked at it as that you may win some stats (such as K's) but could also lose other stats (ERA/WHIP)
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SuperS1989 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Sorry.. but what exactly is streaming? Just out of curiosity, i'm guessing it has something to do with waiver priority and dropping players?
SuperS1989
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bongovt » Tue May 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Ive been at this a while, but never heard the term "streaming" before in fantasy baseball...unless its just a H2H thing, which I dont play, I feel like I should know what youre talking about...anyone have time to explain? thanks...
"If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...'cuz I'm gonna burn one down...yes I'm gonna burn one down!"--Ben Harper
bongovt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SuperS1989 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:12 pm

Yeah I have been looking around a while and havent seen anything about this. Can anyone help? I'm just curious to what it is
SuperS1989
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Born Slippy » Tue May 22, 2007 4:57 pm

Streaming is when you just keep churning in and out pitchers every day, basically overwhelming your opponent (in H2H) or opponents (in roto) by drowning them with wins and strikeouts

It's an eternal philosophical debate as to whether this is considered "ok" or "the right way to play" or not.

You can stream hitters as well but that is not as common basically it is not adding in new hitters every day but adding in piles of hitters on those slow days (Monday, Thursday)

The way you avoid these is moves limits, IP limits, hitter starts limits. If a league doesnt have stops in place it is perfectly ok to do IMO
Born Slippy Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner