Another MySpace Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Another MySpace Thread

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 16, 2007 1:34 pm

MySpace won't give names of sex offenders
Online networking site says proper legal processes weren't followed

By Elizabeth Dunbar
Updated: 2 hours, 1 minute ago

RALEIGH, N.C. - Citing federal privacy law, MySpace.com said Tuesday it won’t comply with a request by attorneys general from eight states to hand over the names of registered sex offenders who use the social networking Web site.

MySpace’s chief security officer said the company regularly discloses information to law enforcement officials but the federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act says it can only do so when proper legal processes are followed.

“We’re truly disheartened that the AGs chose to send out a letter ... when there was an existing legal process that could have been followed,” the security officer, Hemanshu Nigam, said in an interview.

In a letter Monday, attorneys general from North Carolina, Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Ohio and Pennsylvania asked MySpace to provide information about registered sex offenders using the site and where they live.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal on Tuesday blasted MySpace for refusing to share the information and said no subpoena is needed for MySpace to tell the attorneys general how many registered sex offenders use the site “or other information relating to possible parole violations.”

“I am deeply disappointed and troubled by this unreasonable and unfounded rejection of our request for critical information about convicted sex offenders whose profiles are on MySpace,” Blumenthal said. “By refusing this information, MySpace is precluding effective enforcement of parole and probation restrictions that safeguard society.”

Christian Genetski, an attorney who has represented MySpace, said the Electronic Communications Privacy Act requires subpoenas, court orders or search warrants, depending on the information sought.

“It’s a clearly defined law that most providers and prosecutors understand and work with on a daily basis,” Genetski said. “My understanding is (the attorneys general) want the private personal information, and that’s clearly the information the ECPA protects.”

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said “it’s sad that MySpace is going to protect the privacy of sex offenders over the safety of children.”

Nigam said MySpace is serious about identifying and removing sex offenders from its Web site and wants to work with the attorneys general.

“Everybody needs to get together and delete online predators,” Nigam said, adding that MySpace supports state and federal legislation requiring sex offenders to register e-mail addresses. “The attorneys general’s concerns and our concerns are exactly the same.”

In December, MySpace announced it was partnering with Sentinel Tech Holding Corp. to build a database with information on sex offenders in the United States.

Software to identify and remove sex offenders from the site has been used for 12 days, and MySpace has “removed every registered sex offender that we identified out of our more than 175 million profiles,” Nigam said.

It is also working with Sentinel to share the sex offender database and technology with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which works directly with law enforcement officials, Nigam said.

MySpace, which is owned by News Corp., and other social networking sites allow users to create online profiles with photos, music and personal information, including hometowns and education. Users can send messages to one another and, in many cases, browse other profiles.

MySpace’s policy prevents children under 14 from setting up profiles, but it relies on users to specify their ages.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 16, 2007 1:51 pm

That's ridiculous. If the AGs felt that they needed this information they would have gotten a subpoena. Prove it to a Judge that this information is needed, don't even make it an option for myspace. Why are they trying to shift all of the responsibility and risk to myspace?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:That's ridiculous. If the AGs felt that they needed this information they would have gotten a subpoena. Prove it to a Judge that this information is needed, don't even make it an option for myspace. Why are they trying to shift all of the responsibility and risk to myspace?

Because they know they couldn't get the necessary legal paperwork. They were probably hoping that this would get mySpace bad publicity that would scare them into giving up the info voluntarily.

I don't care for sexual predators, but I'm a bigger fan of mySpace sticking up for the letter of the law.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:That's ridiculous. If the AGs felt that they needed this information they would have gotten a subpoena. Prove it to a Judge that this information is needed, don't even make it an option for myspace. Why are they trying to shift all of the responsibility and risk to myspace?

Exactly. I dont' even have a myspace page, but this definitely makes me think a little higher of them. Not like the phone companies, who just handed over millions of people's info because the government asked. The legal process still has to be followed.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 16, 2007 2:33 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

Because they know they couldn't get the necessary legal paperwork. They were probably hoping that this would get mySpace bad publicity that would scare them into giving up the info voluntarily.

I don't care for sexual predators, but I'm a bigger fan of mySpace sticking up for the letter of the law.

exactly what i was thinking.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby byfrcp » Wed May 16, 2007 2:34 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

Agreed. ;-D
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed May 16, 2007 8:29 pm

I guess I will also join the lovefest with a ;-D

Just giving information to the government like that scares me.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to General Talk