Tommy Johns - early comebacks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tommy Johns - early comebacks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tommy Johns - early comebacks?

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 16, 2007 11:21 am

Decided to move this to it's own thread to avoid cluttering the closers thread... can anybody think of successful TJ comebacks where the guy came back early? Honestly curious to know.

After 10 months or less?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 am

Cole Hamels gives HIMSELF Tommy John surgery every night. HE heals by the morning. The men he steals the tendons from, however, do not.

Truthfully though I doubt any doctor would allow someone to pitch that soon after TJ its just too much of a risk for average men
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby hot4tx » Wed May 16, 2007 11:52 am

Yoda wrote:
hot4tx wrote:
Yoda wrote:He was the closer last year before he went down so I am not sure where you are getting your info.

Yeh, I read the wrong column and edited saw a 0 in the Ws column, not the SVs column. Has there ever been anyone come back from TJ in 9 months that's been as good (which again he still wasn't lights out before) as before? 10 months? I don't know where to get that data, but I don't recall very many early come back from TJ stories ending well.

Al Reyes. He's been pitching just as good if not better since coming back.

EDIT: It depends on how bad the damage was. For instance, Dotel's doctors advised him not to go under the knife but he made the decision to do so.

Reyes had TJ in Oct 05, over 17 months before the start of the 2007 season. Have there been any early comebacks - how bout less than a year - that were successful when they first came back?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 16, 2007 11:59 am

Baseball Prospectus: Has Tommy John surgery improved since you first did it in '74? John needed 18 months or so to come back. Is the recovery time shorter now?

Dr. Frank Jobe: The reason (John's) recovery was longer was because the ulnar nerve hadn't come back. But I don't think pitchers should come back and pitch off a mound in a game for at least one year, with tossing at four months. You've seen some people that have tried to come back at seven or eight months. They got sore and inflamed, then you have to wait a couple of months before that goes away.

Tommy John
Tommy John pitched 26 years in the big leagues and won 288 games.

The techniques have improved though. It takes about an hour now. With Tommy, it took about four.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 16, 2007 12:15 pm

The recovery is a function of the surgery itself. Basically, a ligament is essentially used to fulfill the role of a damaged tendon (or vice versa, I'm not positive). It takes a lot of physical therapy to both "train" the new ligament, and then to rebuild arm strength back to a serviceable level. This is why players often gain as much as 8 MPH on their fastballs after the surgery; it's almost solely due to the workout regiment required to build the arm back up and to "train" the ligament to work.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers