100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chone Figgins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Wed May 16, 2007 5:03 pm

jswede wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:He's overrated big time.

Truly. Every fantasy manager suddenly developed a man-crush on him because he stole 60+ bases and was eligible at a bajillion different positions. He hasn't really done as much since then.

Since when? He stole 62 in '05 and 52 last year. He dropped 23 points in BA from '05 to '06, but beyond that, he was the same player.

Overrated by whom? In a full season, I'd expect 100/8/60/50/.275, and with the injury he went a few rounds lower than those expectations in my draft.

50 crappy ABs in 2007, after 2 broken fingers, doesn't change my perception of Chone's value at all.

And he's eligible at 2b/3b/OF as well. Chone's still getting warmed up this season, he missed quite a bit of time. Sometimes I think too many cafe members have short memories and even shorter patience. It's a long season, I wouldn't be be so quick to give up on players who have performed at a high level in the past.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby godallahstar » Wed May 16, 2007 5:06 pm

i am also one of the people who think he is overrated.

of course, in my mind a lot of players are overrated in fantasy baseball. david wright, carl crawford - it's not just their performance, it's what you have to pay for their value.

i think the overrated commens come from, at least in my opinion, the fact that chone figgins production has declined. he's not available at all those positions anymore, and he probably shouldn't be leading off, yet the price you have to pay for him in fantasy leagues has stayed relatively the same.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BuckeyeSal » Wed May 16, 2007 5:16 pm

I think he's a very good 2nd baseman when you look at his ranking against other 2nd baseman. You're losing value if you have him at 3rd or OF. I think the same thing about Glaus. The resume for Glaus puts him at an above avg 3rd baseman but a much higher SS(he'll probably lead all SS in HRs by seasons end) It's about value at each position against other players at the same position.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chadlincoln » Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 pm

suspect wrote:I just dumped him for Cuddyer in my keeper league. I'm not regretting it yet.
Why was Cuddyer a FA?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby tvv44 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:22 am

I don't know, I'm just not sure about this guy. He would be a nice option at 2B, but I think his cost is too high.

Does anyone know if and when Kendrick comes back, if Chone might lose any playing time? Or is Erick Aybar getting sent back down to the minors?

Bye the way, I just checked the Angels box scores from the last 5 games and Chone was batting 9th every game :-t except 1 (he hit 2nd on Tuesday). Can Chone still put up good SB#'s from the 9 hole?
Owner of the Detroit Tigers in Strike Zone Dynasty
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu May 17, 2007 10:10 am

Nobody in my league is overrating him. He went for the expected price in our auction, which is to say he's a couple of notches above guys like Taveras or Freel, who are usually picked up based on steals alone and nobody's calling those two overrated. I think he might be overrated more by people new to fantasy baseball who overestimate the value of a steals-only type player.

Also - if a guy stole 62 and 52 bases in a year and he's not 30 years old yet, who's to say he won't do it again. I didn't draft him expecting him to hit .300. I drafted him expecting him to get a bunch of steals for me... looks like he's starting to do it again this year. If he hits .270 I'll gladly take it. He'd have to be hitting lower than about .260 for me to consider dropping him as long as he's providing the steals. I have enough batting average to make up for it everywhere else.

In some leagues he's made more valuable by his position flexibility, which you can't discount. Right now in my league he's eligible at 3B, CI & MI.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Oatsdad » Thu May 17, 2007 10:23 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote: I think he might be overrated more by people new to fantasy baseball who overestimate the value of a steals-only type player.

Yeah, but he has to actually get on base to make those steals! :-B
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu May 17, 2007 11:13 am

Yup, you can't steal first base.

Encouraging - he's got 3 steals in the last 7 games.

Not Encouraging - he's 0-for his last 15, with two walks.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers