Jerry Falwell Found Dead - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Jerry Falwell Found Dead

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 16, 2007 11:13 am

Just to inject some humility into the subject, obviously people feel strongly about Falwell as he did about his own beliefs and convictions. But it's interesting to take a step back and take a look at what guys like Falwell and Robertson stood for. They reached out to evangelical Christians, yet condemns those in society whose beliefs and lifestyles they disagreed with.

But sometimes when I hear these televangelists asking you to buy their books and DVD's or these shows where they pat each other on the back for being great Christians and blaming the world's ills on secularity, I have to wonder if it's all for show. I mean, I think a lot of Christians will agree that it is an unfortunate circumstance that people like Falwell and Robertson have become a face of Christianity and, in doing so, has shed a negative light on it as a whole. I agree that this isn't fair as Christians in this country are open, and welcoming and reaching out to those in need, rather than condemning those they disagree with.

So I have to wonder, when they preach their televised sermons in the 5,000 seat mega-churches, hock their DVD's and books on tape, while focusing on the sin rather than the faith, is it really sincere? Do these guys believe what they're saying?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed May 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Coppermine wrote:So I have to wonder, when they preach their televised sermons in the 5,000 seat mega-churches, hock their DVD's and books on tape, while focusing on the sin rather than the faith, is it really sincere? Do these guys believe what they're saying?

I have had that same question many times about these guys, and I can't say that my answer is all that flattering to them.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 16, 2007 12:22 pm

knapplc wrote:
Coppermine wrote:So I have to wonder, when they preach their televised sermons in the 5,000 seat mega-churches, hock their DVD's and books on tape, while focusing on the sin rather than the faith, is it really sincere? Do these guys believe what they're saying?

I have had that same question many times about these guys, and I can't say that my answer is all that flattering to them.

I've often thought that about guys like Falwell, Robertson, and Michael Savage (who I am absolutely convinced is a made-up character, if not outright satire), but then I think about some of the stuff that I feel strongly about and realize that many people probably wonder the same thing about me. So I give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually believe what they say.

Though the fact that they make millions of dollars off of their "beliefs" at least makes the question valid, if nothing else.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 16, 2007 12:59 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I've often thought that about guys like Falwell, Robertson, and Michael Savage (who I am absolutely convinced is a made-up character, if not outright satire), but then I think about some of the stuff that I feel strongly about and realize that many people probably wonder the same thing about me. So I give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually believe what they say.

Though the fact that they make millions of dollars off of their "beliefs" at least makes the question valid, if nothing else.

At least they should be taxed; it's not like they aren't pushing a political agenda, especially when Falwell goes around saying "Jesus is a Republican." Fine, but I say pay up if you want the fire dept to show up in case one of the church ladies burns the brownies.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Anyone wanna take a shot at cause of death? I'm gonna go with...

Tinky Winky, in the office, with the red purse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/276677.stm
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 16, 2007 4:01 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Anyone wanna take a shot at cause of death? I'm gonna go with...

Tinky Winky, in the office, with the red purse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/276677.stm

It's not a purse, it's European!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed May 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Coppermine wrote: Fine, but I say pay up if you want the fire dept to show up in case one of the church ladies burns the brownies.

I like Bill Maher too :-B
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed May 16, 2007 8:05 pm

His famous Penthouse ad:

And here is part of Larry Flints statement about Falwells death, just found it kind of interesting:

Larry Flynt - from link
-----------------------------
"The Reverend Jerry Falwell and I were arch enemies for fifteen years. We became involved in a lawsuit concerning First Amendment rights and Hustler magazine. Without question, this was my most important battle – the l988 Hustler Magazine, Inc., v. Jerry Falwell case, where after millions of dollars and much deliberation, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in my favor.

My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became good friends. He would visit me in California and we would debate together on college campuses. I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what he was selling and he knew what I was selling.

The most important result of our relationship was the landmark decision from the Supreme Court that made parody protected speech, and the fact that much of what we see on television and hear on the radio today is a direct result of my having won that now famous case which Falwell played such an important role in."
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Thu May 17, 2007 1:07 am

Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk