Gil Meche - Really? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gil Meche - Really?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gil Meche - Really?

Postby SweetAurillia » Tue May 15, 2007 12:05 am

Ok so this guy gets signed for some big cash and was brought in as KC's "ace." I'll have to admit I was one of the people that laughed at Moore for proclaiming this but this guy is putting up very ace-like numbers. So is this guy really worth 11 mil a year?
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby colt4523 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:14 am

I don't think so. I believe he is pitching way over his head.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:24 am

He'll end up with a near 4.00 ERA and very few wins. That might be useful depending on your league setup, but it's nothing to really get excited about.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby mikegp » Tue May 15, 2007 12:53 am

He's always had the pure stuff to be an ok #1 and a pretty good number 2, but injuries and control problems have been a problem. Supposedly, the KC pitching coach has corrected a problem in his delivery (something to do with how he lands on his front foot). Obviously he won't keep up his current pace, but I think he'll have an ERA in the low 3's at the end of the season if his control holds up.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue May 15, 2007 1:05 am

His ability to pitch at a high level is underrated here at the cafe. If this dude is healthy, he's $. I'd expect the central to catch on to him as the year goes on, but provided he's healthy, predicting a 4.00+ ERA is a mistake. Probably, only Dice K has a greater variety of effective pitches.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby theultimate69 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:35 am

mikegp wrote:He's always had the pure stuff to be an ok #1 and a pretty good number 2, but injuries and control problems have been a problem. Supposedly, the KC pitching coach has corrected a problem in his delivery (something to do with how he lands on his front foot). Obviously he won't keep up his current pace, but I think he'll have an ERA in the low 3's at the end of the season if his control holds up.

That front foot landing thing is the same "correction" Kansas City proclaims to make with all of its pitchers. Example: I remember the commentators making a big deal out of this exact correction for Denny Bautista last year - look how that turned out. !+)
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Tue May 15, 2007 2:39 am

theultimate69 wrote:
mikegp wrote:He's always had the pure stuff to be an ok #1 and a pretty good number 2, but injuries and control problems have been a problem. Supposedly, the KC pitching coach has corrected a problem in his delivery (something to do with how he lands on his front foot). Obviously he won't keep up his current pace, but I think he'll have an ERA in the low 3's at the end of the season if his control holds up.

That front foot landing thing is the same "correction" Kansas City proclaims to make with all of its pitchers. Example: I remember the commentators making a big deal out of this exact correction for Denny Bautista last year - look how that turned out. !+)

Gil Meche is a slightly better pitcher. Don't you agree? :-?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mkultra » Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 am

colt4523 wrote:I don't think so. I believe he is pitching way over his head.

Why do you think that? He turned a big corner last year, increasing his IP and K's to a solid rate. He's also pitching consistently deeper into games. The only hole was his WHIP, but if he's fixed his control issues, it's not unreasonable to see him as legit. In a points league, he'll be a steal.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby J35J » Tue May 15, 2007 10:20 am

The only thing that will hold Meche back is injury or a problem with control. The guy has very good stuff. He sits regulary at 92-94 and hits 95 on a rare occasion. He's also got a great 12-6 curve that reminds me of Mussina's knuckle curve..... Then he throws a mid 80's change that is very effective! The only reason why he gets hit is not because of his stuff its because of his control, he'll miss his spots within the strike zone and his pitches become a little more hittable when that happens. I have seen Meche v Haren twice now in a week or so and I'd take Meche's stuff over Harens.....the thing that seperates Haren from Meche is control. If Meche can keep his BB/9 under 3.2 or so he will finish with around a 3.5 ERA. He's currently under 2.5 BB/9, if he can keep that up then he will be at a 3 ERA or below for the year.

Barring injury, I'll guess he finishes around.....

210 IP
13 Wins
3.5 ERA
1.25 WHIP
160 Ks
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Return to Baseball Leftovers