Prospects Additions to Yahoo! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prospects Additions to Yahoo!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu May 24, 2007 6:54 pm

wrveres wrote:
It was pointed out to us a number of times in many threads, including this one, "What are we supposed to do about the nasty emails we get calling us stupid" ...

apparently that angle works.
Talking with the guys logically as as been done in this thread by many people other than me, doesn't work.

One can only go by what I read.
The chances of Joey Votto playing this year are slim anyways, but hey at least they won't be getting any threating emails. ;-D

That would be one interpretation. But it is one that glosses over one important detail:

You were in the minority on this issue

If one person screams bloody blue murder about something, or even makes a rational, sound argument, they aren't likely to get their way if their opinion isn't shared by (enough) others. Our goal is to keep the majority of our customers happy. You were logical enough that I understood your point and passed it on, and next year it may well be that we can make all our customers happy. But that doesn't change the fact that if we did what you want, when you want it, the majority of our customers would react badly. I'm guessing you understand why we wouldn't get very far if we did things that made the majority of our customers angry. Yes? Particularly in this case where there is clearly no "right answer" to explain; both sides have valid opinions, and just play the game different ways.

Presenting logical discussion of feature enhancements can be really productive. Ironically enough, in this very case I think it will likely lead to a nice improvement in next year's game (time willing). Screaming and complaining, or sending "nasty threatening emails", however, will serve you no better if you're in the minority, and is less likely to get your opinion heard whether you are in the majority or the minority.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smoovethug » Thu May 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks for keeping us posted and being true to your word, but IMO this whole thing stinks. Besides the fact that I have #1 waiver in my $ league. :-D
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Postby Yoda » Thu May 24, 2007 7:01 pm

I think that every player Minors and Majors should be available in the database. Maybe have a separate database for Minor Leaguers? That would be cool. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
wrveres wrote:
It was pointed out to us a number of times in many threads, including this one, "What are we supposed to do about the nasty emails we get calling us stupid" ...

apparently that angle works.
Talking with the guys logically as as been done in this thread by many people other than me, doesn't work.

One can only go by what I read.
The chances of Joey Votto playing this year are slim anyways, but hey at least they won't be getting any threating emails. ;-D

That would be one interpretation. But it is one that glosses over one important detail:

You were in the minority on this issue

If one person screams bloody blue murder about something, or even makes a rational, sound argument, they aren't likely to get their way if their opinion isn't shared by (enough) others. Our goal is to keep the majority of our customers happy. You were logical enough that I understood your point and passed it on, and next year it may well be that we can make all our customers happy. But that doesn't change the fact that if we did what you want, when you want it, the majority of our customers would react badly. I'm guessing you understand why we wouldn't get very far if we did things that made the majority of our customers angry. Yes? Particularly in this case where there is clearly no "right answer" to explain; both sides have valid opinions, and just play the game different ways.

Presenting logical discussion of feature enhancements can be really productive. Ironically enough, in this very case I think it will likely lead to a nice improvement in next year's game (time willing). Screaming and complaining, or sending "nasty threatening emails", however, will serve you no better if you're in the minority, and is less likely to get your opinion heard whether you are in the majority or the minority.


So, with the pending Braun addition, who will be the next prospects added? Any of these?

Upton
Maybin
Brignac
CGonzalez
Neimann
AdMiller
McCutchen
Bruce

Any insight would be very appreciated, thank you for your time.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8519
(Past Year: 123)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mr. Smithers » Thu May 24, 2007 7:06 pm

Mr. Smithers wrote:What about CLAY BUCHHOLZ, that is who I would like to use my waiver priorty on. Can we get him up? Who's with me?


So let me get this right, if I start bugging yahoo about this they'll add him.

That sounds stupid to me. :-t
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.
Ted Williams
Mr. Smithers
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu May 24, 2007 7:35 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
wrveres wrote:
It was pointed out to us a number of times in many threads, including this one, "What are we supposed to do about the nasty emails we get calling us stupid" ...

apparently that angle works.
Talking with the guys logically as as been done in this thread by many people other than me, doesn't work.

One can only go by what I read.
The chances of Joey Votto playing this year are slim anyways, but hey at least they won't be getting any threating emails. ;-D

That would be one interpretation. But it is one that glosses over one important detail:

You were in the minority on this issue

If one person screams bloody blue murder about something, or even makes a rational, sound argument, they aren't likely to get their way if their opinion isn't shared by (enough) others. Our goal is to keep the majority of our customers happy. You were logical enough that I understood your point and passed it on, and next year it may well be that we can make all our customers happy. But that doesn't change the fact that if we did what you want, when you want it, the majority of our customers would react badly. I'm guessing you understand why we wouldn't get very far if we did things that made the majority of our customers angry. Yes? Particularly in this case where there is clearly no "right answer" to explain; both sides have valid opinions, and just play the game different ways.

Presenting logical discussion of feature enhancements can be really productive. Ironically enough, in this very case I think it will likely lead to a nice improvement in next year's game (time willing). Screaming and complaining, or sending "nasty threatening emails", however, will serve you no better if you're in the minority, and is less likely to get your opinion heard whether you are in the majority or the minority.


Well as I said in a follow up post, I thank you for taking the time. You were really put in a no win situation. I do disagree with the decision and hopefully next year this problem will be rectified.

In the mean time, as by the looks of the last couple of posts, Yahoo just opened Pandora's box. Congrats. Now Yahoo customer service reps gets to spend the next 4 months answering spite filled emails as to why their favorite minor league player is not in the Yahoo database.
best of luck with that
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Thu May 24, 2007 7:42 pm

Im going to send Yahoo some spite filled e-mails until they add Adam Miller ;-)
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 876
Joined: 9 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu May 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Ahhh, lovely when people in customer service fail to ealize that "compromise" and "gray areas" do nothing but piss more people off because their standards aren't, well, standard. It sucks because the catalyst for things like this is that people are well-meaning and just want to make everyone happy. But more often than not, they are short-sighted and don't see the reprocussions that will occur by making, random, arbitrary settings.

Players should either be added to the Yahoo database once they are added to the 25 man roster, added to the 40 man roster, or signed to a contract.

Option 1, 2, or 3. That's it. The end. Publish the standard, and no one can complain.

Now with arbitrary settings, it will result in more unanswerable questions to customer service, which will require more overhead from Yahoo, and more time spent on mundane crap by customer service people (and running back and forth internally - "people want to know why Slowey is in but not Sonnastine! What do I tell them?"

etc etc etc.

You are never going to please everyone, but by pleasing the majority of the vocal people, you have to realize that a more vocal larger minority could crop up saying they hate the change.

You should make a logical, consistent standard, and in the long run people will be happier because their expectations will be set.

Now, all that is known is that sometimes prospects will be added, God knows when, and now I have to check the waiver wire every week to find out who was added to the Yahoo database on a whim.

I GUARANTEE Yahoo customer service will get multiple pissed off emails from leagumembers that had a high waiver priority and missed out on Gallardo or Braun because they had no reason to expect that either player was going to get added to the Yahoo database.

And I also guarantee that the number of these emails will be greater than the number of emails they got from people asking when Yahoo was going to add Gallardo or Braun to the database.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1363
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 19 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KR » Thu May 24, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks again Yahoo guys.

Yahoo has improved so much this season its amazing.
KR
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 15 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu May 24, 2007 9:53 pm

While I appreciate all the concern ;-) , the current state of affairs is as it has been for years. And until I started visiting the Cafe regularly, I had never once heard a complaint about us adding a player early. Which is not to say that your side of the argument is invalid, but I wouldn't take a bet with you on what will happen, because I'm a nice guy and I have inside information. We've done this in the past, and earlier this year, and I got to see what happened. It doesn't match your assurances.

I'm going to bow out of this particular debate at this time, in any case. I'm not a customer care person, I'm an engineer popping in during my spare time. I understand what you want, I've passed it on, I'm hoping to improve the state of things going forward. Listening to either side insist that the other side's position is invalid isn't helping, and is just distracting me from actually writing cool features.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact