Need help about pitcher substitution. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need help about pitcher substitution.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help about pitcher substitution.

Postby tfunky14 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:54 am

This doesn't involve fantasy baseball but I think someone in here could help me out with a question about substitution of the pitcher.

Let me clarify, I'm involved in a adult league and had a situation that two teams disagreeded on. We go by American League rules but can't find the answer in MLB.
Player A started game in outfield and came in relief for the starter in the sixth inning. Player A pitched one inning then went back into the outfield in the bottom half of the inning. Player A came back to pitch in the 11th inning. (this is where the disagreement is) Other team thinks we can't do this, but I'm 85% sure this is allowed because player A never left the field. I need to know if I'm right and can you find some facts I can see.
Thanks for your help...
tfunky14
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 14, 2007 12:05 pm

Where is the DH in all of this??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tfunky14 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:07 pm

The DH cane into play outfield since Player A (OF) came into pitch. Thus eliminating the DH here on out.
tfunky14
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 pm

As long as the player is not yanked from the game(ie. manager pulling him in the middle of the inning), he is allowed to go back to pitch at any point. ;-D

If the reliever was pulled from the mound in the middle of the inning though, he is not allowed to take the mound anymore that game.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Need help about pitcher substitution.

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 pm

tfunky14 wrote:This doesn't involve fantasy baseball but I think someone in here could help me out with a question about substitution of the pitcher.

Let me clarify, I'm involved in a adult league and had a situation that two teams disagreeded on. We go by American League rules but can't find the answer in MLB.
Player A started game in outfield and came in relief for the starter in the sixth inning. Player A pitched one inning then went back into the outfield in the bottom half of the inning. Player A came back to pitch in the 11th inning. (this is where the disagreement is) Other team thinks we can't do this, but I'm 85% sure this is allowed because player A never left the field. I need to know if I'm right and can you find some facts I can see.
Thanks for your help...

I've never heard of any rule prohibiting the movement of players who are already on the field. I think the onus would be on them to show you a rule prohibiting such activity, rather than on you to show them the rule saying it's ok. What do they think is special about the pitcher? Why was it ok for the player to return to the outfield, but not return to the mound?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Payne Dailey » Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Rule 3.03 A player, or players, may be substituted during a game at any time the ball is dead. A substitute player shall bat in the replaced player’s position in the team’s batting order. A player once removed from a game shall not re-enter that game. If a substitute enters the game in place of a playermanager, the manager may thereafter go to the coaching lines at his discretion. When two or more substitute players of the defensive team enter the game at the same time, the manager shall, immediately before they take their positions as fielders, designate to the umpire-in-chief such players’ positions in the team’s batting order and the umpire-in-chief shall so notify the official scorer. If this information is not immediately given to the umpire-in-chief, he shall have authority to designate the substitutes’ places in the batting order. Comment:A pitcher may change to another position only once during the same inning; e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other than a pitcher more than once in the same inning. Any player other than a pitcher substituted for an injured player shall be allowed five warm-up throws.

The Pitchers rules
Last edited by Payne Dailey on Mon May 14, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 14, 2007 12:11 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:As long as the player is not yanked from the game(ie. manager pulling him in the middle of the inning), he is allowed to go back to pitch at any point. ;-D

If the reliever was pulled from the mound in the middle of the inning though, he is not allowed to take the mound anymore that game.

What if he was "yanked" in the middle of an inning but immediately put in the OF?? I don't see the difference in going from RP to OF with 2 outs in an inning or at the end of the inning.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon May 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:As long as the player is not yanked from the game(ie. manager pulling him in the middle of the inning), he is allowed to go back to pitch at any point. ;-D

What if he was "yanked" in the middle of an inning but immediately put in the OF?? I don't see the difference in going from RP to OF with 2 outs in an inning or at the end of the inning.

If the pitcher is "yanked" from the mound on the 2nd visit, he is not allowed to pitch anymore that day. It is basically just the way it is worded here.
A second trip to the same pitcher in the same inning will cause this pitcher’s automatic removal;
You can rotate pitchers all day long between innings(such as you have 2 pitchers with one guy pitching the first 2 innings and the other one playing LF, and then they rotate every 2 innings. As long as they are never pulled from the mound by the manager, it is legal. Once they are pulled, they can not pitch again.

Again it is not a rule that comes up in MLB at all, but in Babe Ruth, it is a rule that you sometimes have to remind the coaches about quite a bit.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 14, 2007 12:28 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I know that rule but saw no reference to it in this thread prior to now. I was trying to differentiate between getting pulled in the middle of an inning and at the end. Your example seemed to make it look like it could only be at the end.

If the pitcher is "yanked" from the mound on the 2nd visit, he is not allowed to pitch anymore that day. It is basically just the way it is worded here.
A second trip to the same pitcher in the same inning will cause this pitcher’s automatic removal;
You can rotate pitchers all day long between innings(such as you have 2 pitchers with one guy pitching the first 2 innings and the other one playing LF, and then they rotate every 2 innings. As long as they are never pulled from the mound by the manager, it is legal. Once they are pulled, they can not pitch again.

Again it is not a rule that comes up in MLB at all, but in Babe Ruth, it is a rule that you sometimes have to remind the coaches about quite a bit.
Lofunzo

Postby tfunky14 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Everything said here backs up what I believe that you can go back to pitch as long as you were not pulled during an inning. I now wish I could have some type of official statement in writing to show the umpires.
tfunky14
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to General Talk