Teachers Fake Attack on Sixth Graders - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Teachers Fake Attack on Sixth Graders

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Teachers Fake Attack on Sixth Graders

Postby knapplc » Mon May 14, 2007 11:24 am

What are people thinking?!?!?!

MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged.

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."

This is clearly the kind of thing they should have discussed with parents beforehand, and with the "outrage" that some parents evinced, it's clear that they did not.

I would be absolutely furious about this if they did this to my child.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 14, 2007 11:28 am

I dont see how you can "drill" for something like that. I mean what will we have now a monthly shooting drill in ever school? Thats a very bad idea.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 11:35 am

Wow... 8-o

Talk about a bad idea. What if one of the kids had tried to be a hero and attacked and wounded - or killed - one of the teachers? There are any number of rash decisions people would make in that situation.

Way to think through the process, people. :-t
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby chadlincoln » Mon May 14, 2007 12:06 pm

I just read this. That was stupid. :-t
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 14, 2007 2:26 pm

Isn't this kind of like yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater when there's no fire? :-t
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon May 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Ridiculous.

At my school, only the teachers have to drill. The administration makes an announcement about tomorrow's lunch and teachers immediately must lock the door and have everyone pressed against the wall so they can't be seen from the door.

We are allowed to tell them it's just a drill, though.

The Tennessee method seems insane.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 14, 2007 2:41 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Ridiculous.

At my school, only the teachers have to drill. The administration makes an announcement about tomorrow's lunch and teachers immediately must lock the door and have everyone pressed against the wall so they can't be seen from the door.

Does your school really have a drill for a shooting? I've never heard of anything like that before.

It's a sad, sad world we're living in today. :-/
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon May 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Ridiculous.

Does your school really have a drill for a shooting? I've never heard of anything like that before.

It's a sad, sad world we're living in today. :-/

We have lockdown drills at our school too. :-/

This was part of something I saw on another forum the other day. There was a whole list:
SCHOOL DAYS
1970 vs. 2007
Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1970 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 14, 2007 3:12 pm

SCHOOL DAYS
1970 vs. 2007
Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1970 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

I'm sure that 1970 scenario is legit in some parts of Texas today. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon May 14, 2007 3:28 pm

The 1970s scenerio was legit at my high school in the mid 90s.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk