Collusion or Not...Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Collusion or Not...Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Collusion or Not...Help

Postby sapcity » Mon May 14, 2007 7:39 am

Hi Gurus
I recently have had a problem in my Sportsline fanatsy baseball league and I wanted to hear from you as to how to judge it. I am the commish of a private (money league) H2H points league that has 10 teams and has been in existance for three years. One of the owners in our league manages his team in a rather unusual fashion. In 2005 he dropped Davis Ortiz, M. Texierra, and Michael Young. In 2006 he dropped Chris Carpenter and Jose Reyes. This year he has dropped Bartolo Colon and CARLOS LEE. OK.....here's the deal. He drops Carlos Lee and picks up Ryan Church. Lee now goes on waivers and the guy who dropped him is first in waiver rank and I'm in second for waiver rank. So, of course I put in my waiver request. Two days later the guy who drops Lee contacts me by e-mail to say that he is still having problems logging in to his Sportsline account (he was asked to clear up the log in issues by contacting sportsline's help center three weeks earlier but didn't). He asks me to re-pick up Lee as dropping him was a mistake. While all of this is going on, I'm away in the mountains with no computer so I never get his e-mailuntil the week is over. When I get back home to my computer I see his e-mail and that my team got Lee. Here's where it gets sketchy. I also got an e-mail from another member in my league saying good job that I got Lee off waivers but also that he had contacted the guy who dropped Lee and begged him to re-pick him up off waivers so that they could make a trade. I also got a telephone message from another member in our league saying that he was going to talk to the Lee dropper about getting him back on his team due to the fact he was still first in waivers. I think that these two communications made to the Lee dropper constitute collusion/tampering. What do you think????? Sorry the story is so long. Cheers......
Kevin
sapcity
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby apz » Mon May 14, 2007 8:01 am

I think the guy that dropped Lee is an idiot and I wouldn't be in a league that included him.

Asking the guy that has the first pick off the waiver wire to pick someone up so they can trade is valid IMO. No collusion or tampering there; even if he is the one that dropped him. You should have a second commissioner if you're going to be away from your email for any length of time.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby noseeum » Mon May 14, 2007 8:42 am

Yeah, that's not collusion. The guy has the number 1 waiver priority. All teams know it. Smart owners will work with him to make a trade using that priority if they want someone on waivers.

No collusion because any owner could have made him an offer that way.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 8:45 am

Just asking someone to use their waiver priority for a future trade isn't wrong. However, given this information, I would be questioning the guy's integrity when it comes to deciding whether or not he actually meant to waive Lee. Sounds to me like he waived Lee and then got some offers showing him that he could have actually got something for Lee. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that he did waive Lee on purpose.

So how do you deal with this? As a commissioner of my own league, I find that the best way to deal with touchy issues is to stick strictly to the letter of law. Doing so prevents anyone from saying that you were being anything other than objective. But you're benefiting in this whole deal, aren't you? So that could potentially cloud your judgment. In my league, if that happens, I am authorized to pick three Cafe members, explain the situation to them, and to have them vote on the outcome. Their vote is binding and the end of the discussion.

I might suggest getting an outside party to help you make a clear decision, but I think it's in your best interest that you don't undo this. I just have a hard time believing that a systemic error caused a guy to waive a player like Carlos Lee on accident.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby jupiter33 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:04 am

I'd put a little astirix by his name and when people ask what's the asterix is for you say Dumb&#!^. He needs to be released from your league and replaced. As a commish on vacation, you give commish rights to another owner to cover you out.
jupiter33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 14, 2007 1:00 pm

You mentioned some absolutely asinine drops that this guy made in 2005 and 2006, yet he is in your league again in 2007. That's the mistake right there. This guy shouldn't be playing fantasy baseball.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby noseeum » Mon May 14, 2007 8:46 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Just asking someone to use their waiver priority for a future trade isn't wrong. However, given this information, I would be questioning the guy's integrity when it comes to deciding whether or not he actually meant to waive Lee. Sounds to me like he waived Lee and then got some offers showing him that he could have actually got something for Lee. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that he did waive Lee on purpose.

So how do you deal with this? As a commissioner of my own league, I find that the best way to deal with touchy issues is to stick strictly to the letter of law. Doing so prevents anyone from saying that you were being anything other than objective. But you're benefiting in this whole deal, aren't you? So that could potentially cloud your judgment. In my league, if that happens, I am authorized to pick three Cafe members, explain the situation to them, and to have them vote on the outcome. Their vote is binding and the end of the discussion.

I might suggest getting an outside party to help you make a clear decision, but I think it's in your best interest that you don't undo this. I just have a hard time believing that a systemic error caused a guy to waive a player like Carlos Lee on accident.

He most certainly meant to drop Lee on purpose, and he's most certainly an idiot. But he still has #1 waiver priority, so it's fair for him to use it if someone makes him an offer: pick up that dude and I'll trade you for him.

He should lose his waiver priority, but he's free to pick Lee back up whether it's because he changed his mind or someone made him an offer. Either way no collusion, just stupidity.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 am

noseeum wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Just asking someone to use their waiver priority for a future trade isn't wrong. However, given this information, I would be questioning the guy's integrity when it comes to deciding whether or not he actually meant to waive Lee. Sounds to me like he waived Lee and then got some offers showing him that he could have actually got something for Lee. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that he did waive Lee on purpose.

He most certainly meant to drop Lee on purpose, and he's most certainly an idiot. But he still has #1 waiver priority, so it's fair for him to use it if someone makes him an offer: pick up that dude and I'll trade you for him.

He should lose his waiver priority, but he's free to pick Lee back up whether it's because he changed his mind or someone made him an offer. Either way no collusion, just stupidity.

Yeah, but as I read it, the guy that dropped Lee is claiming that he didn't mean to. In light of the knowledge that two owners are trying to work out a deal with him, it seems very plausible that he didn't forget and is now trying to change things so that he can work out a deal.

I don't know if it's technically collusion, but it's certainly not right. Shoot, I'm not even in favor of being able to grab your own player off of waivers, but that's because I do a lot of contract league stuff.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Thanks for All the Help

Postby sapcity » Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks to all the cafe GURUS for their opinions and advice. I kinda agree with StlSluggers last message. It's certainly not right. I know for a fact that the reason one of the members in my league told the dummy to pick him up again was to block my team from getting him. Anyways cheers to all from Sapporo, Japan................[/quote]
sapcity
T-Ball Trainer

Postby prricci » Wed May 16, 2007 11:27 am

Truly a dumba$$ manager and a lier...very little chance he meant to drop Lee especially given his history of moronic drops.

Not collusion...

I am not familiar with sportline rules, however, in Yahoo! leagues the person dropping a player has to wait until he goes through waivers before picking him up (i.e., he would not be allowed to use his #1 waiver priority on Lee b/c he dropped him). Is sportline different?
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner