Anyone tried this strategy, spot pickup setup guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone tried this strategy, spot pickup setup guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone tried this strategy, spot pickup setup guys?

Postby Heiserman02 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:34 pm

So it might be more work than it is actually worth, but I will find out over the next month or so as I try to do this more.

I'm in a 10 team 5x5 AL/NL league with 5 bench spots where people generally carry SP with at least 4 of those spots, so decent spot starters are somewhat hard to come by...so i decided to try something else out...instead of spot starters, I'm trying to do the same thing with the elite setup men.

It takes a lot of work because you have to check at the end of the day to make sure the MR you're picking up didn't throw 30 pitches that night, but if you can find a guy who has had a couple days rest and his team's starter for the next day isn't someone who's a threat to go 8IP, you have a pretty decent shot of adding an extra 1IP with 1+K's and usually a 1 or lower whip to the day's stats...

I'm not sure if I'll continue to have the same luck in picking who's going to pitch the next day or not, but so far, picking up and dropping two slots each day for the past 3 days I've got a 4/6 ratio and picked up 5 2/3 IP 4H 0ER 1BB 7K...

people have written articles before on the benefit of keeping a Scott Shields or Scott Linebrink on your roster, but since these guys are unlikely to be signed by anyone else on a day to day basis, couldnt you really maximize the output of these 1-2 spots by making an educated guess on who is going to pitch each day?

anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions on if it is worth the trouble and see if anybody here has tried something like this before with MR...
Heiserman02
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 217
Joined: 6 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:40 pm

Instead of working the wire, I'd just fill my bench with some top guys and rotate them in on starters' off days. Especially pick up guys who might close down the road and/or those who you think might vulture Ws.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2079
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rays Country

Postby Heiserman02 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:54 pm

but think about that...if i sign 3 good relievers, say...Hideki Okajima, Pat Neshek, and David Aardsma and then just hang on to them, then they are permanently taking up 3 roster spots even when they arent pitching...on the day after Neshek just pitched 1.2IP and threw 30 pitches...you know hes not going to pitch...so for the next day hes essentially wasting a roster spot...why not look on the wire for say...Heath Bell, Doug Brocail or Derrick Turnbow if they didnt pitch the night before and have a chance to get some production from that slot...and even if for some reason someone does decide to pick up one of your MR...the WW usually has about 10 very good ones at any particular time...especially in a 10 team league like mine, but i'd imagine in a 12 teamer too...this is all about maximizing efficiency from your spots
Heiserman02
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 217
Joined: 6 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Anyone tried this strategy, spot pickup setup guys?

Postby KTM » Sun May 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Heiserman02 wrote:So it might be more work than it is actually worth, but I will find out over the next month or so as I try to do this more.

I'm in a 10 team 5x5 AL/NL league with 5 bench spots where people generally carry SP with at least 4 of those spots, so decent spot starters are somewhat hard to come by...so i decided to try something else out...instead of spot starters, I'm trying to do the same thing with the elite setup men.

It takes a lot of work because you have to check at the end of the day to make sure the MR you're picking up didn't throw 30 pitches that night, but if you can find a guy who has had a couple days rest and his team's starter for the next day isn't someone who's a threat to go 8IP, you have a pretty decent shot of adding an extra 1IP with 1+K's and usually a 1 or lower whip to the day's stats...

I'm not sure if I'll continue to have the same luck in picking who's going to pitch the next day or not, but so far, picking up and dropping two slots each day for the past 3 days I've got a 4/6 ratio and picked up 5 2/3 IP 4H 0ER 1BB 7K...

people have written articles before on the benefit of keeping a Scott Shields or Scott Linebrink on your roster, but since these guys are unlikely to be signed by anyone else on a day to day basis, couldnt you really maximize the output of these 1-2 spots by making an educated guess on who is going to pitch each day?

anyway, I'm just looking for some opinions on if it is worth the trouble and see if anybody here has tried something like this before with MR...


In a yahoo league its also a good think to look for MR who are SP eligible, Like Myers before he was made closer. Not too many this year who are any good though. Keep watching and if a bullpen guy gets a start and is any good to begin with, grab him when he goes back to the pen and put him in an empty SP spot.
KTM
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 5 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone tried this strategy, spot pickup setup guys?

Postby Heiserman02 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:58 pm

KTM wrote:In a yahoo league its also a good think to look for MR who are SP eligible, Like Myers before he was made closer. Not too many this year who are any good though. Keep watching and if a bullpen guy gets a start and is any good to begin with, grab him when he goes back to the pen and put him in an empty SP spot.


That depends on your league settings too...in mine we have just 2SP, 2RP, and 3P...so unless i have more than two starters going on a given day I can devote 5 slots to RP if i choose to
Heiserman02
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 217
Joined: 6 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:13 am

Heiserman02 wrote:but think about that...if i sign 3 good relievers, say...Hideki Okajima, Pat Neshek, and David Aardsma and then just hang on to them, then they are permanently taking up 3 roster spots even when they arent pitching...on the day after Neshek just pitched 1.2IP and threw 30 pitches...you know hes not going to pitch...so for the next day hes essentially wasting a roster spot...why not look on the wire for say...Heath Bell, Doug Brocail or Derrick Turnbow if they didnt pitch the night before and have a chance to get some production from that slot...and even if for some reason someone does decide to pick up one of your MR...the WW usually has about 10 very good ones at any particular time...especially in a 10 team league like mine, but i'd imagine in a 12 teamer too...this is all about maximizing efficiency from your spots


I don't think it is worth the trouble. It seems like a lot of effort to get a guy in your lineup who might pitch an inning or 2.

You don't say if you're roto or h2h or if you have any limits on your pitchers (innings max or starts or innings min etc.). That might make a difference, but I'd use even more than 3 bench spots -- if you have four, the odds of even two of them getting heavy use on the same night is remote. Rotate in your fourth when needed and still use add/drop from time to time if necessary. Even if I were to use a churn strategy, I'd limit it to a small group of potential MRs and use FA as my extended bench. If you have waivers, this won't work either.

Another thing that I just thought of -- adding players all the time alerts the league to what you are doing, and they can start blocking you or copying you if it is working. a few key adds at once and they might not notice right away, if at all.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2079
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rays Country

Postby Heiserman02 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:23 am

Sorry for not clarifying. This is a 10 team roto league...here is my current roster for tomorrow (instead of two MR im picking up Gorzelanny for tomorrow as a spot start)...

We also don't use waivers...once someone is dropped they are available for pickup immediately...

10-Team 5x5 Mixed League

C - M.Barrett
1B - A.Gonzalez
2B - C.Utley
3B - R.Zimmerman
SS - C.Guillen
OF - M.Holliday
OF - C.Crawford
OF - J.Bay
UT - E.Renteria
Bench - A.Rowand
Bench - P.Konerko

SP - R.Hill
SP - C.Young
RP - H.Street
RP - J.Putz
P - J.Maine
P - D.Brocail
P - T.Gorzelanny
Bench - J.Blanton
Bench - T.Lincecum
Bench - K.Escobar
DL - F.Hernandez

With the way my pitchers are pitching at the moment, I can't really just drop any to make room for more MR...Konerko is killing me by forcing me use a bench spot on him...about the only guy i feel comfortable dropping is Rowand...and he's even a spot start tomorrow in my OF...

Also, you're right...people may try to start blocking me, but given the amount of options, there would have to be a few people trying to stop me together...and it would really have to be blatantly obvious it was working well for someone to even think about trying that...
Heiserman02
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 217
Joined: 6 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Anyone tried this strategy, spot pickup setup guys?

Postby KTM » Mon May 14, 2007 12:39 am

Heiserman02 wrote:
KTM wrote:In a yahoo league its also a good think to look for MR who are SP eligible, Like Myers before he was made closer. Not too many this year who are any good though. Keep watching and if a bullpen guy gets a start and is any good to begin with, grab him when he goes back to the pen and put him in an empty SP spot.


That depends on your league settings too...in mine we have just 2SP, 2RP, and 3P...so unless i have more than two starters going on a given day I can devote 5 slots to RP if i choose to


Same here. I always fill my RP and P with closers and MR. All 5 all the time. 3 closers 2 MR or 2 MR 3 closers. With a 1250 IP limit, say each one in the pen averages 75 IP, thats 375 IP with good ratios +ws with the MRs. That leaves 875 IP for starters. I usually get 4 decent ones then spot start the remaining innings. I usually only have 1 bat on the bench - sometimes none. They don't do any good up there sitting around. If someone gets hurt that's the breaks.

3 top o the line MR = 1 johan santana plus some saves thrown in.
KTM
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 5 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:45 am

If there are no innings limits, you are wasting your time with many MRs IMO. Crank out your starters and rack up the Ks. Get Matt Capps to pile on some innings as well, and, sure, work FA to add a hot MR once in a while.

I'd go nuts looking that deeply into MRs.

I don't think the league sounds too deep to find spot starters -- if all hold 8 SPs, that's only 80, and the next 20 SPs at least might be worth it depending on matchups, and that assumes that the 80 rostered are the top 80 SPs.

If you really want to do it, I say commit to the strategy and trade to make room. Overpay in a couple 2-for-1s and have fewer starts. Ws might suffer but ratios over time will be better. Ks might be OK due to the higher rate of top MRs.


I am in a 9 teamer with 9 P slots where there about 70 pitchers held. There are a ton of SPs on the wire. That league has a GS limit, though, so I have a lot of relievers. Lucky for me most of them ended up closing so I don't have to mess with it much anymore.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2079
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rays Country

Postby Heiserman02 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:01 am

Well, we have a 2000IP limit, which is essentially no limit at all...i guess it could technically be an issue if you spot started 2-3 people a day on top of your regulars, but not really otherwise...we will see, i've been trying to work some 2-1's so far but no one has really been biting...the other issue is i have a hard time trading some of my starters because there really arent many dominant starters that far ahead of the pack that it makes them worth it
Heiserman02
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 217
Joined: 6 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charleston, SC

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact