Most Feared Hitter in Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Feared Hitter in Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Most Feared Hitter in Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am

Coppermine wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Coppermine wrote:It was a little annoying at first. I thought maybe Joe was developing a sexual crush on Sheffield; but then, around 4th inning of the game, Joe backtracked. He decided that Bonds was the "most feared hitter in baseball." But then he said that Bonds doesn't really count because 'pitchers' are so afraid of him they walk him.

Joe Morgan's reasoning is simply astounding at times.

"Joe, who do you think was the greatest boxer of all time?"
Joe: "I would say Muhammed Ali, but he won so many fights that he really doesn't count."

Obviously you could make a connection between how many times a hitter walks and how feared they are by pitchers. This has to do with other factors, including protection in the lineup, which Bonds doesn't have much of these days.

But Morgan's rationale was that Sheffield was "most feared" because he's always looking to crush the ball. OK, that's clever... a lot of players are always looking to crush the ball. Ortiz and Hafner were mentioned. Ryan Howard tries, if he can make contact that is. Pujols is always sitting on that fastball.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield is a fine player and he would scare the crap out of me if he were angry, or if I decided to throw beer on him from the outfield stands. But I think Morgan read Sheffield's new book like it was a Hustler magazine.

Ichiro led the AL in intentional walks in 2002 and 2004...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 15, 2007 12:54 pm

What, it takes 3 pages now just to say Barry Bonds? :-° :-]
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 15, 2007 1:46 pm

Joe Morgan is the Pat Summerall of baseball
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 15, 2007 2:24 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Coppermine wrote:It was a little annoying at first. I thought maybe Joe was developing a sexual crush on Sheffield; but then, around 4th inning of the game, Joe backtracked. He decided that Bonds was the "most feared hitter in baseball." But then he said that Bonds doesn't really count because 'pitchers' are so afraid of him they walk him.

Joe: "I would say Muhammed Ali, but he won so many fights that he really doesn't count."

Obviously you could make a connection between how many times a hitter walks and how feared they are by pitchers. This has to do with other factors, including protection in the lineup, which Bonds doesn't have much of these days.

But Morgan's rationale was that Sheffield was "most feared" because he's always looking to crush the ball. OK, that's clever... a lot of players are always looking to crush the ball. Ortiz and Hafner were mentioned. Ryan Howard tries, if he can make contact that is. Pujols is always sitting on that fastball.

Don't get me wrong, Sheffield is a fine player and he would scare the crap out of me if he were angry, or if I decided to throw beer on him from the outfield stands. But I think Morgan read Sheffield's new book like it was a Hustler magazine.

Ichiro led the AL in intentional walks in 2002 and 2004...

8-o wow thats interesting

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue May 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Tavish wrote:

It would be interesting to see how many walks Pujols would get if he batted 8th with a pitcher behind him. That might be the only chance someone would have at beating Bonds' record 232 in a season.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby TheDocIsIn » Tue May 15, 2007 6:16 pm

I'd say its still Vladdy.
TheDocIsIn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madman's Crazed Dogs » Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Seems like a cool argument. I input all data from all time into SkyNet to come up with an answer and I found out that the Terminator is made out of genetic material from Chuck Norris, Mr. T, Serpentor, Jack Lambert, and Barry Bonds. So I guess that is the answer.
Madman's Crazed Dogs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby joecahill » Tue May 15, 2007 10:03 pm

TheDocIsIn wrote:I'd say its still Vladdy.

Gotta agree. You have to hate a guy at the plate that can hit a head-high or shoetop waste pitch out of the park. !+) And you know the guy will swing at them.
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby YardBirds » Wed May 16, 2007 9:42 am

Its Pedro Feliz... and don't even try and argue... that guy will swing at anything.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 16, 2007 11:31 am

So who is the most feared pitcher? Carlos Zambrano? Pedro Martinez? I mean, I almost feel like Clemens is a shoo-in with his throwing the jagged shard of broken bat at Piazza in the World Series stunt.

What makes Clemens scary, in my mind, is that he's like a whiny, schoolyard bully in a giant dude's body and even the teachers are scared to death of him.

But Clemens is scary perhaps because he's not afraid to throw a 96er at your head after you crowd the plate, or heaven forbid, hit well off him. But which hitter would make Clemens scared to throw at? Is there where Sheffield's temper and attitude come into play? Would Clemens run away if Pujols charged the mound?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers