Since when did Spiderman turn into American propoganda? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Since when did Spiderman turn into American propoganda?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Sun May 13, 2007 2:41 am

I won't lie to you, I started laughing when Spiderman paused in front of the American flag there.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Sun May 13, 2007 9:34 am

Isn't Sam Raimi a Democrat?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun May 13, 2007 10:19 am

Tavish wrote:
Mills13 wrote:No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. In fact, I think they're stupid. My big problem with it was a hidden message I found, which is that America is letting oil turn the country evil or "venomous" and the revenge that Spiderman looked to get on the Sandman after he kills Peter's dad is similar to Bush wanting to finish the job in Iraq that his dad wasn't successful in by getting Saddam Hussein. At first, I let these notions go, but I just couldn't get over Spiderman flexing his muscles in front of the American flag right before he saves Mary Jane and fights the Sand Man and Venom. I don't think that part was in the old comics and it shouldn't have been in the movie.

So a guy looking to avenge the death of his father is a subtle metaphor for Bush against Iraq? I'm not sure how you can connect the two unless you are really trying to. Wanting revenge is a human trait. If they ever make a movie for Captain America I would suggest you stay away from the theaters. It might feel like a right-wing propaganda film with the vulgar display of patriotism it would show.

I'm going to bring out geek test here but it was Peter Parker's uncle who was killed not his father.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 am

Half Massed wrote:I won't lie to you, I started laughing when Spiderman paused in front of the American flag there.

It was the cheesy icing on a cheesy cake.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tavish » Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Mills13 wrote:No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. In fact, I think they're stupid. My big problem with it was a hidden message I found, which is that America is letting oil turn the country evil or "venomous" and the revenge that Spiderman looked to get on the Sandman after he kills Peter's dad is similar to Bush wanting to finish the job in Iraq that his dad wasn't successful in by getting Saddam Hussein. At first, I let these notions go, but I just couldn't get over Spiderman flexing his muscles in front of the American flag right before he saves Mary Jane and fights the Sand Man and Venom. I don't think that part was in the old comics and it shouldn't have been in the movie.

So a guy looking to avenge the death of his father is a subtle metaphor for Bush against Iraq? I'm not sure how you can connect the two unless you are really trying to. Wanting revenge is a human trait. If they ever make a movie for Captain America I would suggest you stay away from the theaters. It might feel like a right-wing propaganda film with the vulgar display of patriotism it would show.

I'm going to bring out geek test here but it was Peter Parker's uncle who was killed not his father.

Well Parker's father was killed as well, but he was killed by the Finisher while acting as an agent for SHIELD. But I digress. I haven't seen the movie so I just went with what the OP said. :)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby thedude » Sun May 13, 2007 5:13 pm

The only hidden metaphor was anti-death penalty. When Peter Parker think he was killed his uncle's murder and relates the details to aunt, she replies that spider man does not kill people. And then says, "I am not happy he is dead." Then talks about how she does not want venange and how his death does not bring back her husband.

You could read anti-death penalty into that. But I don't see the metaphor you are talking about.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Half Massed wrote:I won't lie to you, I started laughing when Spiderman paused in front of the American flag there.

it was extra cheesy :-D

EDIT: Forgot to add...Spidey 3, no propaganda...now Monsters, Inc...there's a movie with some propaganda...screams (i.e. fossil fuels) are the way we've always powered things, even if there are some negative side affects, while laughter (alternate fuels) gets you the same thing without any bad effects...and the Monster CEO's (Big Oil, politicians) know this but want to keep it down anyway
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby theclefe » Mon May 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

EDIT: Forgot to add...Spidey 3, no propaganda...now Monsters, Inc...there's a movie with some propaganda...screams (i.e. fossil fuels) are the way we've always powered things, even if there are some negative side affects, while laughter (alternate fuels) gets you the same thing without any bad effects...and the Monster CEO's (Big Oil, politicians) know this but want to keep it down anyway

Hey everyone, don't scream on May 15th! X-I
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 4:35 pm

theclefe wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

It won't work.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theclefe » Mon May 14, 2007 6:14 pm

josebach wrote:
theclefe wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

It won't work.

Fine, then don't scream on roller coasters, since they garner the most screams. Then maybe everything else will be a little less scary.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk