Since when did Spiderman turn into American propoganda? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Since when did Spiderman turn into American propoganda?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Since when did Spiderman turn into American propoganda?

Postby Mills13 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:34 pm

I don't know how many of you have seen Spiderman 3 yet but I'll just say that it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Part of it is the amazingly political spin it had throughout the movie. Here are the instances (SPOILER ALERT)-

Spiderman is fascinated by some black oily substance that slips through his room. He is told that it is powerful, yet evil and causes people to seek revenge and aggressive behavior. Once you get it on you, it's diificult to get off. When Spiderman has the option of having the traditional or black suit, he chooses the black one and tries to seek revenge on his father's death by killing the sandman. Towards the end, Spiderman sees that his substance is causing him to lose himself. He rips it off and the Daily Bugle's ex-photographer gets it after praying for God to help him find a way to kill Spiderman. Towards the end of the movie, the Sand Man and the ex-photographer terrorize the city while Spiderman comes to the rescue and lands next to an American flag. While he looks beaten early on, it takes the help of his former enemy (can't think of his name) to help Spiderman win the fight.

If you can't get the poltical references, the venom is the oil, the sand is Saudi Arabia (or Iraq, take your choice), the photographer could represent any number of things. I say terrorism who for some cases we supplied weapons to, and Spiderman is America. Did anyone else feel this way or am I delusional and overthinking this?
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Sat May 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Most comic books have some sort of political symbolism. I'm not sure if the symbolism you mentioned is correct, but it might not be too far off.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Since when did Spiderman turn into American propoganda?

Postby JTWood » Sat May 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Mills13 wrote:I don't know how many of you have seen Spiderman 3 yet...

hmm... I wonder...

Mills13 wrote:but I'll just say that it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it, and I agree.

I'm not so sure about the symbolism being meant for today's political climate. Wasn't this story line written decades ago?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Given that these comics were written what, three or more decades ago, I think you're reading more into this than necessary.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Tavish » Sat May 12, 2007 9:09 pm

Mills13 wrote:If you can't get the poltical references, the venom is the oil, the sand is Saudi Arabia (or Iraq, take your choice), the photographer could represent any number of things. I say terrorism who for some cases we supplied weapons to, and Spiderman is America. Did anyone else feel this way or am I delusional and overthinking this?

You are WAAAY over thinking it. You can find parallels to life in any movie if you try hard enough.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 12, 2007 9:19 pm

JTWood wrote:
Mills13 wrote:I don't know how many of you have seen Spiderman 3 yet...

hmm... I wonder...

Mills13 wrote:but I'll just say that it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it, and I agree.

I'm not so sure about the symbolism being meant for today's political climate. Wasn't this story line written decades ago?

I don't think the Spiderman comics had Venom and Sandman collaborating together the way the film storyline has it mapped out, but I don't reckon that the movie storyline was crafted with the intent to reflect any political sentiment.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby josebach » Sat May 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Tavish wrote:You are WAAAY over thinking it. You can find parallels to life in any movie if you try hard enough.

Exactly. If you are heavily into politics, you're going to see politics. Even if by some far stretch mills is right, what's the propaganda? That America is good? I'm pretty sure the leaders of this country not only already say that, but they it very openly. Hiding that message discretely in some stupid comic book movie would be totally and completely pointless.

Besides, wasn't Sandman and the photographer who ended up in the Venom suit both American? :-?

Meh. You wouldn't happen to be a conspiracy theory buff, would you mills?
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mills13 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:23 am

No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. In fact, I think they're stupid. My big problem with it was a hidden message I found, which is that America is letting oil turn the country evil or "venomous" and the revenge that Spiderman looked to get on the Sandman after he kills Peter's dad is similar to Bush wanting to finish the job in Iraq that his dad wasn't successful in by getting Saddam Hussein. At first, I let these notions go, but I just couldn't get over Spiderman flexing his muscles in front of the American flag right before he saves Mary Jane and fights the Sand Man and Venom. I don't think that part was in the old comics and it shouldn't have been in the movie.
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Sun May 13, 2007 12:30 am

Mills13 wrote:No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. In fact, I think they're stupid. My big problem with it was a hidden message I found, which is that America is letting oil turn the country evil or "venomous" and the revenge that Spiderman looked to get on the Sandman after he kills Peter's dad is similar to Bush wanting to finish the job in Iraq that his dad wasn't successful in by getting Saddam Hussein. At first, I let these notions go, but I just couldn't get over Spiderman flexing his muscles in front of the American flag right before he saves Mary Jane and fights the Sand Man and Venom. I don't think that part was in the old comics and it shouldn't have been in the movie.

So a guy looking to avenge the death of his father is a subtle metaphor for Bush against Iraq? I'm not sure how you can connect the two unless you are really trying to. Wanting revenge is a human trait. If they ever make a movie for Captain America I would suggest you stay away from the theaters. It might feel like a right-wing propaganda film with the vulgar display of patriotism it would show.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Simulacrum » Sun May 13, 2007 1:48 am

JTWood wrote:

Wow.. yeah, you're definitely a conspiracy theorist, Mills. Spidey's battle with his symbiote suit and the introduction of Venom were originally told in Amazing Spider Man issues #298-300. That was in 1987.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk