Time to Pick Up Slowey/Garza? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to Pick Up Slowey/Garza?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BMcP » Mon May 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Don't know if I'd take that as gospel just yet. This is the excerpt from the Tribune - notice it includes nothing more than the writer's opinion (no quote from GM/manager):

Baker is 3-2 with a 3.16 ERA at Rochester after losing on Sunday to Buffalo. Righthander Kevin Slowey is 3-2 with a 1.51 ERA and also is a candidate, but Baker has more experience at the AAA level than Slowey and the Twins might feel that Baker has earned another shot.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 326
Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Mon May 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Slowey has been touted to have the best control in all of the minors this year. I think they will love to see if he can translate that to major league level. He'll have to be since he does not throw very hard.

I really have no idea where Garza's 1.5+ WHIP is coming from, hes getting pounded. Never thought after the MLB experience he'd be giving up more than 1 hit per inning in the minors.

I think the Twins have too many touted prospects and need to move a couple of a good offensive bat. Garza's stock will continue to take hits if he keeps that WHIP up.
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby Halo Homers » Tue May 15, 2007 11:07 am

Any futher updates on this? My money is on Slowey. He's been the best so far in AAA. I think the Twins want an immediate contribution.

Garza will probably get the call later when Silva or Ortiz come back down to earth.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1321
(Past Year: 48)
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pirates4Life » Tue May 15, 2007 11:19 am

Zito is God wrote:Slowey has been touted to have the best control in all of the minors this year. I think they will love to see if he can translate that to major league level. He'll have to be since he does not throw very hard.

I really have no idea where Garza's 1.5+ WHIP is coming from, hes getting pounded. Never thought after the MLB experience he'd be giving up more than 1 hit per inning in the minors.

I think the Twins have too many touted prospects and need to move a couple of a good offensive bat. Garza's stock will continue to take hits if he keeps that WHIP up.


The issue with Slowey, from what I've read, is that he throws primarily (as in over 75%) fastballs, albeit fastballs with excellent accuracy. In AAA, perfect placement of mostly fastballs will get a lot of outs, but in the majors, I'm not so sure it'll be quite as effective.

As for Garza, they've got him working on his secondary pitches in AAA right now. His fastball is already major league ready, so once his secondary pitches catch up, the sky's the limit for him.

His WHIP is what it is because he gave up 24 baserunners in his first 13 innings (3 starts).

Since then, he's allowed 31 in his last 23 (4 starts).

Even further, in one of those four starts, he gave up 11 of the baserunners in only 4 innings.

To me, that sounds like a guy who's working on stuff and getting more and more comfortable and consistent with it.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 151
Joined: 6 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BlueBandit24 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Halo Homers wrote:Any futher updates on this? My money is on Slowey. He's been the best so far in AAA. I think the Twins want an immediate contribution.

Garza will probably get the call later when Silva or Ortiz come back down to earth.


No further word, but I'd guess it's down to Slowey or Baker. Baker has the experience and is on the 40 man roster, but Slowey has been the better pitcher down at AAA. A decision should come soon as the spot in the rotation is up this Saturday in Milwaukee.
Image

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 801
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Dinkytown

Postby joecahill » Tue May 15, 2007 9:43 pm

It's probably going to be Baker. Slowey is pitching tonight (very well, might I add), and for him to get to the majors and have his first start Saturday on four days' rest doesn't seem very kosher.
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 269
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hangin' from Rupp's Rafters

Postby BMcP » Wed May 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Kevin Slowey yielded one run in 7 2/3 innings Tuesday in a win for Triple-A Rochester.

That's the good news. The bad is that there's no way the Twins would have let him throw 7 2/3 innings last night if they intended to call him up to start Saturday. Slowey is most deserving of the assignment, but it looks like Scott Baker will be the choice.


:-° Ok. Any need to pick up Baker? Or, conversely, still hang on to Slowey (Ortiz looks like the next implosion victim).
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 326
Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby colt4523 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm

I bet it will be baker, since I dropped him last week thinking slowey would get the call. :-t
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2696
(Past Year: 83)
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: michigan

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm

BMcP wrote:Kevin Slowey yielded one run in 7 2/3 innings Tuesday in a win for Triple-A Rochester.

That's the good news. The bad is that there's no way the Twins would have let him throw 7 2/3 innings last night if they intended to call him up to start Saturday. Slowey is most deserving of the assignment, but it looks like Scott Baker will be the choice.


:-° Ok. Any need to pick up Baker? Or, conversely, still hang on to Slowey (Ortiz looks like the next implosion victim).


If you're hard-up for a pitcher, taking a chance on Baker might not be a bad idea. If he fails in his next big league stint, it will likely be his last chance.

As for Slowey, I think he's going to be up around mid-season. If the Twins fall out of the race, he'll likely get a shot to prove himself, and he's throwing so well in the minors that they may have no choice but to bring him up.
Image

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 801
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Dinkytown

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm

Slowey is a Steeler fan (as I stated before) and Steeler fans are winners. ;-D

Blue Bandit--is that Travis Bickle in your sig?
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 7167
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact