Time to Pick Up Slowey/Garza? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to Pick Up Slowey/Garza?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheHumdingerDynasty » Sun May 13, 2007 9:56 pm

espn.com wrote:With no game scheduled for Monday, the Twins don't have to add another pitcher until Saturday's game at Milwaukee. Left-hander Glen Perkins has been throwing well in long relief, but Gardenhire said the staff wants to keep him in that role. That means one of three right-handers -- Scott Baker, Matt Garza or Kevin Slowey -- will be brought up from Triple-A

Looks like it won't be Perkins. We'll find out during the week some time I guess as to who it will be. I'm rooting for Garza, I have him in my minors and my team really needs some pitching help.
TheHumdingerDynasty
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun May 13, 2007 10:01 pm

I think Baker gets a 2nd chance here just because he's on the 40 man, though there's a lot of nobodies on the 40 man so it's not that hard a decision to bring up Slowey, but if the Twins don't give Baker a chance now, then when is he going to get a chance again?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:21 am

My money is on Baker unfortunately. He wont have much fantasy impact but the Twins always focus on what they feel is the best for the young pitcher even if it means hurting the team bringing up a guy with less talent.
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby offpudding » Mon May 14, 2007 12:44 am

Gardy really plays favorites, although I'm not sure how much of the decision is his instead of Terry Ryan's. The front office is really down on Baker and if he gets a shot, it's only going to be a trade audition. Gardy has said that Garza needs more work on his other pitches and to me that says it will be Slowey or Perkins.

Slowey: pitching real well, but not overpowering stuff - if he loses his control he's going to get shelled. Would have to be added to the 40 man.

Perkins: solid stuff, but could just as easily end up a career long man in the pen. Would open a roster spot to call up another bat (which the Twins are doing until they need a 5th starter again).

I'd probably lean towards Slowey slightly over Baker, because the Twins need Perkins (a lefty) in the pen right now, but who knows with that front office.
offpudding
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Starkmadfan » Mon May 14, 2007 12:47 am

TheHumdingerDynasty wrote:
espn.com wrote:With no game scheduled for Monday, the Twins don't have to add another pitcher until Saturday's game at Milwaukee. Left-hander Glen Perkins has been throwing well in long relief, but Gardenhire said the staff wants to keep him in that role. That means one of three right-handers -- Scott Baker, Matt Garza or Kevin Slowey -- will be brought up from Triple-A

Looks like it won't be Perkins. We'll find out during the week some time I guess as to who it will be. I'm rooting for Garza, I have him in my minors and my team really needs some pitching help.

From RotoWire:
Glen Perkins (P) MIN
Perkins isn't being considered for the fifth starter job with the demotion of Sidney Ponson. "We like him where he's at. We'll bring up another pitcher," manager Ron Gardenhire told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. He's working in a long relief role and giving the Twins a second lefty option with Dennys Reyes struggilng a bit. Perkins has walked more batters than we'd like to see so far (nine in 19 1/3 innings) and his strikeout rate isn't as strong as it was in the minors, but he's holding his own so far in his first extended test in the majors.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon May 14, 2007 1:52 am

I like Garza and Slowey...but Slowey is a huge STEELER fan so I'd go w/ him because Steeler fans are generally winners.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DbacksRback » Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 am

gotta love that k/bb ratio of Slowey

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby dundeeslugger » Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am

Looks like it's going to be Baker.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Scott Baker is "likely" to replace Sidney Ponson in the rotation.

The Twins have four excellent options to pick from in Baker, Glen Perkins, Kevin Slowey and Matt Garza, but it sounds like they want to keep Perkins in the bullpen and see if Baker can bounce back from last season's struggles. He'd have a tough first matchup against the Brewers, but could have AL-only value after that.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon May 14, 2007 11:43 am

am I the only one who predicted Baker? :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Mon May 14, 2007 12:05 pm

I love that the thread title doesnt even include Baker :-b
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers