Hitting-Strikeouts-Walks-Pitch Count / Statistics Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Hitting-Strikeouts-Walks-Pitch Count / Statistics Question

Hitting-Strikeouts-Walks-Pitch Count / Statistics Question

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Sat May 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Are there any stats some where about major league hitters that are the best at working the counts. I would imagine that this would reflect a hitter that is good at gettting walks and low on strikeouts. Maybe it doesn't matter. But i figure a hitter that works the count is better than a hitter that just swings away. Does anyone have any input at what i getting at. For instance hunter pence with the astros seems to just swing away, one game i counted only 7 pitches total that he saw and he swung at each one just about. he ended up with three ground balls and one pop fly. you would figure being he is new to major league ball the coaches would tell him to see all the pitches he could. is it better for a batter just to swing at every good pitch he gets or try to work the count so later in the game he knows the pitches that he is facing.

the point of my question, is that my team just seems to be growing in strikeouts and now im in last place in that catagory, the leading 'k' king is bj upton, so now i think i need to bench him for a while so my k's slow down. Do any of you guys bench your high strikeout guys for the high walk guys so you can improve on the associated stat catagories even though it may negatively hurt other catagories. Or am i just thinking to far into this in the first place.

Thanks
EWSPECIALTY Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SendHelp » Sat May 12, 2007 4:50 pm

a stat is kept for that, it's called P/PA (pitches per plate appearance). but it's not necessarily linked to K/BB ratios. guys like dunn/abreu/burrell will dominate that stat, but also K 100+ times.

you should just look at K/BB ratios. it's a very consistent stat month to month and year to year.
SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SendHelp » Sat May 12, 2007 4:54 pm

SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Beginner's Forum