Who's the top pitcher at the end of the season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's the top pitcher at the end of the season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jfg » Mon May 14, 2007 1:03 am

I'll say Peavy finishes with equal if not better numbers than Santana. I'd still trade Peavy for Santana straight up keeper/redraft/whatever.

I think Webb will finish out right behind them with Hamels and Sheets (if he can stay healthy) rounding out the top 5.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pirates4Life » Mon May 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
samjerky wrote:You'll have to save a spot for Brad Penny in the top 10. Oh Yeah!!!

But top 10 of what? Of course his new weakness this year is a low K ratio, so that would take him out of contention in fantasy terms probably. But in terms of ERA, wins, WHIP, I think he's a real contender. Let's see a trip to the all-star game AND a nice second half. That would be nice in the real world. I passed on him this year though in fantasy.

His ERA is a full run higher post ASB for 05, 06.

I remember watching him throw 100 mph in the all-star game last year wondering how it'll affect him in the 2nd half.

If you've watched him this year, he's not pitching the same as he used to. He's still got awesome stuff, but he's using far more offspeed and breaking stuff, pitching to contact more. It's allowed him to go deeper into games and as long as doesn't try to blow everyone away like he used to, he's got a real chance to put together a complete season.

People will doubt it until he does, but this isn't the same Brad Penny as he used to be.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Pirates4Life wrote:
Yoda wrote:
samjerky wrote:You'll have to save a spot for Brad Penny in the top 10. Oh Yeah!!!

But top 10 of what? Of course his new weakness this year is a low K ratio, so that would take him out of contention in fantasy terms probably. But in terms of ERA, wins, WHIP, I think he's a real contender. Let's see a trip to the all-star game AND a nice second half. That would be nice in the real world. I passed on him this year though in fantasy.

His ERA is a full run higher post ASB for 05, 06.

I remember watching him throw 100 mph in the all-star game last year wondering how it'll affect him in the 2nd half.

If you've watched him this year, he's not pitching the same as he used to. He's still got awesome stuff, but he's using far more offspeed and breaking stuff, pitching to contact more. It's allowed him to go deeper into games and as long as doesn't try to blow everyone away like he used to, he's got a real chance to put together a complete season.

People will doubt it until he does, but this isn't the same Brad Penny as he used to be.

Time will tell.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby samjerky » Mon May 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Pirates4Life wrote: If you've watched him this year, he's not pitching the same as he used to. He's still got awesome stuff, but he's using far more offspeed and breaking stuff, pitching to contact more. It's allowed him to go deeper into games and as long as doesn't try to blow everyone away like he used to, he's got a real chance to put together a complete season.

Yes. May I put in my own OH YEAH!!!!! to second your statement. That was always my problem with him and why I wrote him off at the beginning of the year - he struggled to get through half a game, and I even thought he'd end up a reliever this year. But he's changed dramatically. Penny is money.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WhiteHot » Mon May 14, 2007 10:55 pm

1. Cole Hamels
2. Johan
3. Peavy
4. Moyer
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Mon May 14, 2007 10:57 pm

1. Cole Hamels
2. Johan
3. Peavy
4. Moyer

Is this the "which one doesn't belong" game?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)

Postby WhiteHot » Mon May 14, 2007 10:59 pm

rookies and cream wrote:1. Cole Hamels
2. Johan
3. Peavy
4. Moyer

Is this the "which one doesn't belong" game?

Sorry...just a typo. #4 should be Oswalt.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue May 15, 2007 2:27 am

x_Momentum wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Johan AL
Hamels NL
Kerry Wood DL

Hahahahaha. I have to second that. ;-D

Close, but I have to disagree.
Johan AL
Hamels NL
Harden DL
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers