Pitching motion to end all arm injuries - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching motion to end all arm injuries

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tgalv » Fri May 11, 2007 4:12 pm

cool article but it's obviously a puff piece with not a lot of objectivity. i have the suspicion that if there was actually anything to this, people would not be ignoring him. he's probably just a wackjob with an ego.

as others have mentioned, the ball looks really easy to pick up. you might even be able to recognize the pitch before it's thrown. and i wasn't exactly impressed with those breaking pitches. the curve looked like a garbage 12-6 gopher ball. and the screwball just looked like a spinner. in my maybe incorrect opinion, it's the unnatural torquing of the body that generates break on pitches.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri May 11, 2007 4:19 pm

Theory is great but let's see if it works in practice. Until this guy's method develops successful pitchers, it's all lip service to me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri May 11, 2007 4:34 pm

RynMan wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:Getting a PhD is by no means difficult

I am by no means defending Mike Marshall's theories, but your statement without any supporting evidence is baseless and patently ludicrous!

I'm glad you said it, cause I was about to. :-°

And you just said what I was about to. :-D

I'm not too familiar with Marshall's work, however this is intriguing. The first thing I noticed was the pronation right after release, and the modified follow through as a result. No doubt in my mind that it substantially reduces the strain on the UCL right there, and probably several structures within the shoulder (due to how the arm is decelerates more efficiently). I'm not sure about the no leg kick, but his reasoning is entirely correct, and since most of the force generated in pitching is rotational in nature, removing a linear component shouldn't affect it to badly. It's the same with hitting - I teach kids to hit with more emphasis on rotation, and less on taking a step towards the pitcher with that traditional linear weight transfer. The power and bat velocity gains are significant.

I think he is on to something. However, one of the previous posters did bring up a good point regarding deception.

i couldnt say it better myself. you hit on everything i was going to say and more ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Fri May 11, 2007 5:50 pm

Looks to me like the home run record wouldn't last long if a lot of guys where throwing like this.

Who knows though....put me in the skeptical category!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 11, 2007 6:16 pm

What was that weirdness

That curveball had no dot it looked like a massive hanger.

And the arm itself still looked to have lots of stress on it.

:-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri May 11, 2007 6:23 pm

akula wrote:I agree with several posts above, that hitters will have no problem picking up pitches. To put it this way, his players may last longer and stay healthier, but they won't be effective without the element of deception.
I think ball clubs rather have a dominant pitcher for 3-5 years, than to have a mediocre pitcher for 10-15 years. If a pitcher busted his elbow or shoulder, they can always call up young arms from the farm system to replace him. So as long as there is no shortage of young and willing arms, who cares about the health of major league pitchers?

Whoa there. Don't most GMs say you have to pay a dollar a half of hitting for a dollar of pitching? I think many care. I think we'd agree that finding a happy balance between longevity and effectiveness would be best, a la Livan Hernandez, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan etc...
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby powenM » Sun May 13, 2007 10:16 am

tgalv wrote:cool article but it's obviously a puff piece with not a lot of objectivity. i have the suspicion that if there was actually anything to this, people would not be ignoring him. he's probably just a wackjob with an ego.

as others have mentioned, the ball looks really easy to pick up. you might even be able to recognize the pitch before it's thrown. and i wasn't exactly impressed with those breaking pitches. the curve looked like a garbage 12-6 gopher ball. and the screwball just looked like a spinner. in my maybe incorrect opinion, it's the unnatural torquing of the body that generates break on pitches.

Many people have wondered if this is so great why has he not been hired by an mlb team?

Some have suggested that his methods r too scientific for baseball, leaving many sceptical(Like many of us are.)

But bottom line Marshall is a headcase. His teamates could not stand him. Hes always had an enormous ego. He HAS to be right-and not just occasionally.

Listening to him on the radio the other day the most used words were 'I' & 'me'.

There is a belief because he is a control freak that if hired as a pitching coach he may want to take over more(ie trainer etc)

This is why u dont want to deal with a guy
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Tue May 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Dr. Marshall used this knowledge to set numerous major league records, including the four most prestigious closer relief pitching records.

1. Most appearances - 106
2. Most closing innings pitched - 208
3. Most consecutive appearances - 13
4. Most games finished - 84

Huh? Am I missing something? Wouldn't saves be the most prestigious? I mean that it is the main purpose of a closer right?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby WhiteHot » Tue May 15, 2007 1:44 pm

ironman wrote:Huh? Am I missing something? Wouldn't saves be the most prestigious? I mean that it is the main purpose of a closer right?

I'm pretty sure saves were not invented back then. I think they were introduced in the nineties.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby schmidty » Tue May 15, 2007 1:51 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
ironman wrote:Huh? Am I missing something? Wouldn't saves be the most prestigious? I mean that it is the main purpose of a closer right?

I'm pretty sure saves were not invented back then. I think they were introduced in the nineties.

Wanna bet? :-D

Of course saves were around then. Marshall led the league 3 times. But it was different then. In his Cy Young year, he only had 21 saves (leading the league). RPs pitched more innings ... less "specialty" save guys. Also reflected in the fact that Marshall had 5 seasons of 10 or more wins (and 5 of 10 or more losses) from the bullpen.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers