Garrett Atkins... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Garrett Atkins...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StringerBell » Mon May 28, 2007 9:26 pm

ShawshankVA wrote:
Atkins lost whatever he had last year, and its not like we havent seen this before...from even better players. going from an MVP type year, to scrub...

My favorite examples of this are :

Darin Erstad

2000 121 Runs 25 HR 100 RBI 28 SB .355 Avg
2001 89 Runs 9 HR 63 RBI 24 SB .258 AVG

and Rich Aurilia

2001 114 Runs 37 HR 97 RBI .323 AVG
2002 76 Runs 15 HR 61 RBI .256 AVG

But why, why, why with Atkins :~(
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knights » Mon May 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Philliebuster wrote:
Knights wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:
kage812004 wrote:dropped him in both my leagues, ive had it, so glad i wasted my 3rd round pick on him on both my teams.

That's not a move i'd make, because it's going to feel bad because I drafted him that early, but it's going to look worse if I drop the person I drafted that early AND he comes back and tears the cover off the ball soon or after the break. Can't drop the man, have to wait it out.

Seriously people, how long are you going to wait on this guy? Yes, he was a 3rd or 4th round pick... but he has done NOTHING all season. And moreso, he has shown no signs of optimism AT ALL so far this season.

I know people want to believe that their early round picks will come around and this that and the other thing, but it's honestly time to step up and say that you made a mistake... nothing that could've been predicted on draft day, but something that has come to light over the past 2 month.

Give up a bit of your pride, cut your losses, and get someone on your team that you can actually feel comfortable putting in your lineup at least 3 days out of the week!

That's what I did when I cut him a few weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with the performances of my team (and specifically my 3B) since then. Atkins is still sitting as a FA in my league, but I wish that someone would pick him up because as much fun as it is to see him suck not on my team, it'd be even more fun to see him suck on someone else's team.

If I buy a stock at $100 value and in a couple months that stock drops to $2 dollars, i'm definitely not selling, especially when I know that stock can perform.

This isn't the stock market, it's FANTASY baseball... at some point you need to cut your losses. As someone posted at the end of the previous page said, we're one-third done the season. You can't sit there and wait around for 2, 3, or more years in order to get your expected value.

In order to match his production from two years ago (might as well forget about getting anywhere close to his career year last year), Atkins is going to have to take his production from the first two months of the season and DOUBLE IT for each of the next two 2-month periods to close out the season. Not only is he not getting hits, he's not walking either, so he's not even scoring any runs.

IMO, he's not worth it.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 36)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 pm

I am wondering if any of you are actually watching GA's at bats. I have been over the past couple of days and am very pleased with what I've seen. He is just getting very unlucky. In fact, his BABIP is now about .240 which indicates this.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby bwagner112 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:53 pm

rookies and cream wrote:I am wondering if any of you are actually watching GA's at bats. I have been over the past couple of days and am very pleased with what I've seen. He is just getting very unlucky. In fact, his BABIP is now about .240 which indicates this.

Yeah, I picked him up last week when someone dumped him and I watched some of his at bats this weekend. He actually looked pretty good. He put some solid swings on the ball and hit it hard right at people. Just kind of sad, that's all you can say about a guy who was a consensus 3rd-4th round pick this year.
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:57 pm

rookies and cream wrote:I am wondering if any of you are actually watching GA's at bats. I have been over the past couple of days and am very pleased with what I've seen. He is just getting very unlucky. In fact, his BABIP is now about .240 which indicates this.

his at bats havnt been bad all year, which was why I had some hope for him.

Also, what's up with the whole 1 year wonder thing?

in 2005 in 138 games he batted in 89 and had a solid 287 average.

Yea, I'm pissed off and annoyed at him too..but I'll gladly stash him on my bench until he does something.

If you want a replacement and Braun isn't available, get iwamura.

first day off dl, he goes 2/3 with a walk, a single and a triple. ;-D
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 pm

One third of the season is in the books. Fact. Garrett Atkins is better then the numbers he's putting up. Fact. As a fantasy manager who has put together enough talent to be able to hold the fort down while he's slumping to open the season, I will wait until he picks it up. Fact. I will take the fact he has had solid at bats, is still showing a patient eye while maintaining a good K/BB ratio, and the fact his line drive and contact percentages are comparable to last year into account in making my decision to hold onto him. Fact. Finally, I will enjoy seeing the fair weather managers who are "cutting bait" and adding free agent fodder to their lineups suffer when Garrett Atkins solid AB's and percentages start working out. FACT. I will be very interested to read this thread in about a month and see how good the fair weather owners are at putting a spin on their previous posts. The fact is, he's had an awful start to the season, but I highly doubt, unless you are in the shallowest of leagues, or the least competitive of leagues, their is anything worth outright cutting him for on the free agent list prior to the all-star break. The fact is, this guys final statistics do not matter. At this point, what he does forward from today is what matters to any fantasy owners season. Like I've said before, hitters who are selective and are consistantly putting the ball in play, slapping line drives around, and not striking out snap out of slumps. See Victor Martinez 2005. He is essentially the same type of hitter, line drive doubles hitter with 20 HR pop and a great K/BB. Here are his 2005 splits.
April- 17 for 82 for a .207 BA with 7 runs 2 HR's 8 RBI's and 9 walks to 10 K's
May- 16 for 75 for a .216 BA with 7 runs 2 HR's 7 RBI's and 4 walks to 8 K's
In June he turned it around:
June- 28 for 95 for a .295 BA with 15 runs 5 HR's 18 RBI's and 13 walks to 12 K's
And his post All-Star Break splits to hammer the point home further.
Post All-Star Break 42 Runs .380 BA 11 HR's and 45 RBI's with 35 walks and 42 K's.
Good hitters figure it out. Garrett Atkins is a good hitter as his limited big league and minor league experience show him to be. Is he a great power hitter. No. Is he is a very good hitter, yes. But don't trust me. Trust his final stat line.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rookies and cream » Mon May 28, 2007 11:44 pm

Well said ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 pm

I'd like to add... I'm NOT advocating keeping him all season if this continues, but it's not even the friggin' all-star break folks. This isn't a banner year for Atkins yet, but lets be real, if you saw enough in him to invest a high pick, and have waited this long before cutting him, is another month really going to kill you? Or is cutting him only to have him put things together the remainder of the year more likely to kill you?
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:52 pm

it's not like atkins is the only one doing Mod edit for language for fantasy that was in the earlier rounds..

Abreu, who I also have has been just as bad.

I have hope both will turn it around, both are good hitters and will get it together..

Bench him until he comes around, I reallly really really doubt there is someone in the fa that is going to make a big impact on your team.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Tue May 29, 2007 6:10 pm

All new Garrett Atkins thread started in the leftovers forum in hopes of a season turnaround. It all starts tonight! Come over and show your support.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=293320
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates